Cyclists competetevness

ouzo

Oct 31, 2001
Yesterday I did hill training. On my way home, with the wind behind me and aching legs I was doing a steady 35km/h and spinning the legs nicely when all of a sudden I heard the familiar sound of a chain on cog coming up behind me. It was another cyclist and a Bianchi and he passed me at a good speed.

So what is my first reaction...... change gears and give chase. I had to force myself to let him go and rest the legs.

What is it with us cyclists that we cant let anyone pass us. We could be hald dead on the bike, and if someone passes us we just get up and give chase.

I don't know what it is either, my training plans go out the window when this happins. ill be out for a easy ride look behind me see a cyclist coming and then hammer, or i see a cyclist in the distance i gotta catch him. i have had great intervals doing this though, i can't push my self hard when i have no one to chase down or no one to drop. i was riding one day hard for 3 hours and thought i had nothing left in my legs 2 cyclist catch me at a light and they try to drop me and i thought they were but because my ego i made myself suffer and droped them, it's good motovation. and most times if i don't drop the other rider or they don't drop me we work together to our destination, i have met a few ride partners this way.

I have experienced the same thing while running. I guess it`s only about fighting spirit, you never let someone pass you, why? It´s in our nature...

same for me... I'm 18 an often meet people older than me, and when I see that someone older than me can go faster than me it pisses me off so much I work my ass off o catch them. Most of the time I get them but one in a while there's always someone in better shape than me... wich is just normal (but say that to your ego!!)

By chasing people like that I noticed that the older the riders are, and the less they will try to chase you back...

I think because like dogs we have that hunt chase mentality. We're pack animals just like them. It's the thrill of the chase! Although unlike dogs who wouldn't know what to do with a car if they ever caught it, we know what to do with another cyclist when we catch them...TURN UM INTA DUST!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!