Cyclists in Miami?

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
Hi, I'm possibly moving to Miami and I'm curious about the cycling scene there. Specifically, I'd be moving to Coral Gables, and I've searched for cycling clubs in this area via google and usacycling.org (http://usacycling.org/clubs/index.php?state=FL) but there really isn't a whole lot. This is pretty discouraging, to say the least. Does anyone know how the cycling is in and around Miami? I don't mind riding 4 miles + out of town to go out to the backroads, as long as there are backroads to ride on (if you know what I mean).
Signed,
The Spoiled California Cyclist with lots of places to ride with lots of different teams

Unfortunately, it's a very bad place to be a cyclist. I spend about half my time down there (my wife works there) and I finally gave up and joined a gym and do my cycling there inside, on their stationary bike. Where most cyclists go is Key Biscayne, which is just a little better than nothing. You have about a four mile stretch with wide shoulders to bike on. The pavement on the shoulders is quite bumpy. You have several lights you might have to stop for. There are other cyclists and somtimes runners and even walkers that share the path during busy times. Traffic is whizzing by you on your left at 60 mph.

I persisted training there for about a year, going up and back that four-mile stretch. I took my bike there in my van. A lot of people ride their bikes through city traffic to get there, but they are a lot more "adventurous" than I am.

My wife has found a long bike path in South Miami, and sometimes rides 30-40 miles along it. But from her description it's not suitable for high-speed training or riding. But if at this point you're not looking for that, I'll be happy to get directions for you.

Pendejo said:
Unfortunately, it's a very bad place to be a cyclist. I spend about half my time down there (my wife works there) and I finally gave up and joined a gym and do my cycling there inside, on their stationary bike. Where most cyclists go is Key Biscayne, which is just a little better than nothing. You have about a four mile stretch with wide shoulders to bike on. The pavement on the shoulders is quite bumpy. You have several lights you might have to stop for. There are other cyclists and somtimes runners and even walkers that share the path during busy times. Traffic is whizzing by you on your left at 60 mph.

I persisted training there for about a year, going up and back that four-mile stretch. I took my bike there in my van. A lot of people ride their bikes through city traffic to get there, but they are a lot more "adventurous" than I am.

My wife has found a long bike path in South Miami, and sometimes rides 30-40 miles along it. But from her description it's not suitable for high-speed training or riding. But if at this point you're not looking for that, I'll be happy to get directions for you.
Oooh, that doesn't sound very good. No wonder there aren't any bike clubs listed on usacycling.org when I searched there. I'd be living in Coral Gables, if you know where that is, which is in South Miami, and I'm not sure about that route you're talking about, but I'd definitely be cruising it at 20-22 mph which is -- I hate to say -- faster than most people tend to ride there, probably. I've ridden on multi use trails before without problems, but I know that they can be crowded. What's the name of the trail you're talking about?

AmpedCycle said:
Oooh, that doesn't sound very good. No wonder there aren't any bike clubs listed on usacycling.org when I searched there. I'd be living in Coral Gables, if you know where that is, which is in South Miami, and I'm not sure about that route you're talking about, but I'd definitely be cruising it at 20-22 mph which is -- I hate to say -- faster than most people tend to ride there, probably. I've ridden on multi use trails before without problems, but I know that they can be crowded. What's the name of the trail you're talking about?
My wife starts at the parking lot of Gulliver School on Red Road (she thinks this is technically Pine Crest), and picks up Bike Route #1, which eventually follows Old Cutler Road. At some point Bike Route #5 branches off that and takes you to Black Point Marina. From there you can pick up a country road that goes past the dump ("Mt. Trashmore") and beyond, that has little traffic on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Are you transferring from Folsom Prison to University of Miami?

Pendejo said:
My wife starts at the parking lot of Gulliver School on Red Road (she thinks this is technically Pine Crest), and picks up Bike Route #1, which eventually follows Old Cutler Road. At some point Bike Route #5 branches off that and takes you to Black Point Marina. From there you can pick up a country road that goes past the dump ("Mt. Trashmore") and beyond, that has little traffic on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Are you transferring from Folsom Prison to University of Miami?
Oh, no not folsom prison, but a similar establishment in Sacramento called California State University, Sacramento. So if I did move to coral gables, do you think that it would be tolerable for me if I ride 150+ miles per week?

AmpedCycle said:
Oh, no not folsom prison, but a similar establishment in Sacramento called California State University, Sacramento. So if I did move to coral gables, do you think that it would be tolerable for me if I ride 150+ miles per week?
OK, glad it's not Folsom Prison. I doubt whether they would let you ride your bike around in there. My wife is going to gather some more info about bike groups, routes, etc. As soon as she does, I'll reply with it here. Also, if you're going to be attending UM, they probably have a bike riding group there, too.

As you get south of Miami, you start getting lots of farmland, country roads, etc. I'm sure there are good routes for putting in lots of miles. But you might have to drive your bike there.

Coral Gables is a neat area.