Cyclists in Summertown, Oxford yesterday

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by J-P.S, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    A small crowd of racing-bike owners was spotted, all lycra-ed up, at the junction between Banbury
    Road and Marston Ferry Road yesterday. Any idea what was going on?

    J-P
    --
    Controversial gargling gonk millionaire Björk warns that a new ice age is far from inevitable in her
    latest video, Me So Pingu

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, j-p.s
    <[email protected]> writes
    >A small crowd of racing-bike owners was spotted, all lycra-ed up, at the junction between Banbury
    >Road and Marston Ferry Road yesterday. Any idea what was going on?
    >
    >J-P

    Don't know. Did they have bikes with them? Were they riding them? Or was it a demonstration?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>, j-p.s
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>A small crowd of racing-bike owners was spotted, all lycra-ed up, at the junction between Banbury
    >>Road and Marston Ferry Road yesterday. Any idea what was going on?
    >>
    >>J-P
    >
    >Don't know. Did they have bikes with them? Were they riding them? Or was it a demonstration?

    Seriously, a simple google search (oxford cycling Tuesday) takes you to
    http://www.oxfordcityrc.fsnet.co.uk/ the site of Oxford City Road Club.

    Tuesday night chaingang. Starts again as soon as it's light enough - usually the first Tuesday in
    April. Meet 6pm at traffic lights, on corner of Banbury Road and Marston Ferry Road (just south of
    Summertown). 40km route over Otmoor. Two groups - slow group given 5 minute start over fast group so
    that we can meet up and come back to Oxford together over the flat bit of Otmoor.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

    > Seriously, a simple google search (oxford cycling Tuesday) takes you to
    > http://www.oxfordcityrc.fsnet.co.uk/ the site of Oxford City Road Club.
    >
    > Tuesday night chaingang. Starts again as soon as it's light enough - usually the first Tuesday in
    > April. Meet 6pm at traffic lights, on corner of Banbury Road and Marston Ferry Road (just south of
    > Summertown).

    Bloody horrible lights those.

    > 40km route over Otmoor. Two groups - slow group given 5 minute start over fast group so that we
    > can meet up and come back to Oxford together over the flat bit of Otmoor.

    5 minutes start? The slow lot can't be that much slower.

    Colin

  5. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:07:31 +0100, Michael MacClancy scrawled: ) Seriously, a simple google search
    (oxford cycling Tuesday)

    Gagh. Hoist by my own petomaine. That'll be it, then.

    J-P
    --
    We were doomed from the start Reading too much Dostoevsky has made me flip

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:07:31 +0100, Michael MacClancy scrawled: ) Seriously, a simple google
    > search (oxford cycling Tuesday)
    >
    > Gagh. Hoist by my own petomaine.

    As long as you aren't hoist by a pedersen, that would be painful.

    Colin

  7. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:24:34 +0100, Colin Blackburn scrawled: )> Gagh. Hoist by my own petomaine. )
    ) As long as you aren't hoist by a pedersen, that would be painful.

    Or hustled by a podiatrist.

    (Cascade alert: thread terminates in N posts)

    J-P
    --
    Will Self's mobile ring is Smells Like Teen Spirit.

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    : 5 minutes start? The slow lot can't be that much slower.

    It's a chaingang. Slow is relative :)

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  9. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:38:17 +0000 (UTC), "j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:24:34 +0100, Colin Blackburn scrawled: )> Gagh. Hoist by my own petomaine. )
    >) As long as you aren't hoist by a pedersen, that would be painful.
    >
    >Or hustled by a podiatrist.
    >
    >(Cascade alert: thread terminates in N posts)

    Or hurdled by a pedestrian

    (N is a big number)

    Tim

  10. On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:15:14 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Seriously, a simple google search (oxford cycling Tuesday) takes you to
    >> http://www.oxfordcityrc.fsnet.co.uk/ the site of Oxford City Road Club. [...] Tuesday night
    >> chaingang. corner of Banbury Road and Marston Ferry Road (just south of Summertown).
    >
    > Bloody horrible lights those.

    ISTR that the lights guarding the other side of the dogleg have at the very least a very weirdly
    timed green phase. Doesn't look like a crossroads, but set up like one.

    >> 40km route over Otmoor. Two groups - slow group given 5 minute start over fast group so that we
    >> can meet up and come back to Oxford together over the flat bit of Otmoor.

    For anyone looking for a gentler run in the area, I should probably mention/plug the Oxford city
    section CTC run, which also happens on a Tuesday evening. 19:30 start, 21:30 finish, in either the
    Victoria Arms, New Marston or the Tandem PH, Kennington. Lycra optional. http://www.oxonctc.org.uk/
    (second hit for "oxford cycling Tuesday"; drat).

    > 5 minutes start? The slow lot can't be that much slower.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick <Secure beneath the watchful eyes

  11. In article <[email protected]>, and-x- [email protected] says...
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:15:14 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Seriously, a simple google search (oxford cycling Tuesday) takes you to
    > >> http://www.oxfordcityrc.fsnet.co.uk/ the site of Oxford City Road Club. [...] Tuesday night
    > >> chaingang. corner of Banbury Road and Marston Ferry Road (just south of Summertown).
    > >
    > > Bloody horrible lights those.
    >
    > ISTR that the lights guarding the other side of the dogleg have at the very least a very weirdly
    > timed green phase. Doesn't look like a crossroads, but set up like one.

    They also have a definite lane discipline but some motorists find themselves in the wrong lane. This
    makes turning right a bit of a gamble! The one good thing is that there is a hatched area which can
    be used as a holding area, letting you cross half way, if the traffic is bad.

    Colin