Cyclists Ride Through Grocery Stores - WTF?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott In AztláN, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. On the KTLA news at 10:00 tonight they had a report of a bunch of bicyclists who rode their bikes
    around *inside* of one of the grocery stores being picketed by striking grocery workers. Some of the
    cyclists were arrested, but most were able to ride away. The report stated that there had been
    several similar incidents in recent weeks.

    WTF was that all about?

    --
    Proud to be a wreckless driver!

    Tags:

  2. On 31 Jan 2004 07:14:01 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In rec.bicycles.misc Scott in Aztln <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: WTF was that all about?
    >
    >was this in socal?

    Yes. IIRC, the store was being picketed at the time, although the group of cyclists is not believed
    to be related to the strike (i.e. a bunch of strikers didn't just decide to all bring their bicycles
    into the store one day).

    --
    Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy.

  3. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Scott in Aztlán" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On the KTLA news at 10:00 tonight they had a report of a bunch of
    bicyclists who
    > rode their bikes around *inside* of one of the grocery stores being
    picketed by
    > striking grocery workers. Some of the cyclists were arrested, but most
    were able
    > to ride away. The report stated that there had been several similar
    incidents in
    > recent weeks.
    >
    > WTF was that all about?

    A spinoff of Critical Mass - LA called Critical Mass - Safeway?

  4. Scott in Aztln <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Yes. IIRC, the store was being picketed at the time, although the group of cyclists is not
    : believed to be related to the strike (i.e. a bunch of strikers didn't just decide to all bring
    : their bicycles into the store one day).

    well, to be honest .. i've always wanted to do something similiar. in my case ride through the mall
    of america full bore playing one mean game of meatlocker slalom.

    prob'ly just some like minded folk.

    a grocery store, tho, doesn't really allow you to get up a good speed. the mall otoh is very nearly
    perfect (it's a large wide circle). i also visualize chases with the chunky* bike cops.

    * yes, carl. chunky works. pudgy also in what would be more than a pinch.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  5. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Scott in Aztlán <[email protected]> writes:
    > On the KTLA news at 10:00 tonight they had a report of a bunch of bicyclists who rode their bikes
    > around *inside* of one of the grocery stores being picketed by striking grocery workers. Some of
    > the cyclists were arrested, but most were able to ride away. The report stated that there had been
    > several similar incidents in recent weeks.
    >
    > WTF was that all about?

    At first I thought they might be euro pro roadies on a training ride and desparately needing Oh
    Henry bars (to which, of course, they're perfectly entitled free access, by dint of their esteemed &
    elite status.)

    But then I realized it's the off season, so they must have just been a bunch of nobodies and freds,
    making the pros look bad.

    Besides, real euro pros go for nutrition that's scientifically developed in serious laboratories --
    not Oh Henry bars.

    cheers, Tom