Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    On Aug 9, 12:29 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    > theory and weight weenie stuff.
    >
    > Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3
    >
    > In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at the
    > loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?
    >
    > --
    > cfsmtb

    Jobst Brandt has been telling us that for years: http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shaving.html.
    I like the turn of phrase, "otherwise normal Australians..."

    Simon
    Who aims to be the first ACT A grader with hairy legs

  3. neon

    neon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    Damn straight it look good. Thanks to cycling I've got fantastic set of pins. :D

  4. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > Jobst Brandt has been telling us that for years: http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shaving.html.
    > I like the turn of phrase, "otherwise normal Australians..."
    >
    > Simon
    > Who aims to be the first ACT A grader with hairy legs

    You're going to have to get there before Grant G if you want that
    honour! :)

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  5. On Aug 9, 12:29 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    > theory and weight weenie stuff.
    >
    > Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3

    but u and marty fart sent me this http://tinyurl.com/yw2rpf
    because this is what u do.

  6. ghostgum

    ghostgum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005

    Last year I rode my bike to the VicRoads office in Carlton to renew my driver's licence. There weren't any bicycle loops, but I did find a suitable railing which already had another bike locked to it.

  7. vaudegiant

    vaudegiant New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    WALOS.....

    Pat

  8. verb

    verb Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    > theory and weight weenie stuff.
    >
    > Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'
    > http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3
    >
    > In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at the
    > loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    Blokes who shave their legs are poofs.

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I like blokes too. ;)

  10. On Aug 9, 2:37 pm, ghostgum <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    >

    > > In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at
    > > the loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?

    > Last year I rode my bike to the VicRoads office in Carlton to renew my
    > driver's licence. There weren't any bicycle loops, but I did find a
    > suitable railing which already had another bike locked to it.
    >
    > --
    > ghostgum

    I lock my bike to the flagpole when I visit the RTA here :)

  11. On Aug 9, 12:29 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    > theory and weight weenie stuff.
    >
    > Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3
    >
    > In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at the
    > loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?
    >
    > --
    > cfsmtb

    So, if I'm reading that article correctly, bicycle clubs are full of
    posers who hold clothing in high regard, with mysterious "codes" (aka
    unwritten rules that you discover by breaking them and getting yelled
    at by other members).

    Hmmm, I think I'll stick to getting around by riding in normal clothes
    and going for the odd social trundle with my local BUG :)

  12. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Hehehe, but nowhere as vicious as moto clubs or the Freemasons, ie: wearing gang colours, patches, leather aprons and all that palavar eh? At their very worst, lycra lizards are liable just to spit you out the back of the bunch, instead of smashing kneecaps or follow obligations to the oaths of secrecy. ;)

  13. Simon

    Simon Guest

    On Aug 9, 4:58 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 12:29 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
    >
    > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > > Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    > > theory and weight weenie stuff.

    > > Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3

    > > In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at the
    > > loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?

    > > --
    > > cfsmtb

    > So, if I'm reading that article correctly, bicycle clubs are full of
    > posers who hold clothing in high regard, with mysterious "codes" (aka
    > unwritten rules that you discover by breaking them and getting yelled
    > at by other members).
    >
    > Hmmm, I think I'll stick to getting around by riding in normal clothes
    > and going for the odd social trundle with my local BUG :)

    Depends on the club really.

  14. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-08-09, [email protected] (aka Bruce)
    > On Aug 9, 12:29 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
    > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    >> Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    >> theory and weight weenie stuff.
    >>
    >> Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3
    >>
    >> In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at the
    >> loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?

    > So, if I'm reading that article correctly, bicycle clubs are full of
    > posers who hold clothing in high regard, with mysterious "codes" (aka
    > unwritten rules that you discover by breaking them and getting yelled
    > at by other members).
    >
    > Hmmm, I think I'll stick to getting around by riding in normal clothes
    > and going for the odd social trundle with my local BUG :)

    Gee, I can't imagine newspapers ever getting their facts slightly
    wonky and exagerating and performing selective editing now. Can you?

    I say educate yourself and stop being ignorant. Then discover what
    cycling clubs are really like. I suggest perhaps starting with a
    touring club -- that's where I started.

    --
    TimC
    I read [.doc files] with "rm". All you lose is the microsoft-specific

  15. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Aug 9, 3:06 pm, "verb" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Blokes who shave their legs are poofs.

    Well, I guess I can leave my wife alone, now that I know that. "I
    might be late for dinner, dear, just stopping off at the local lav for
    a BJ".

    Donga

  16. cfsmtb wrote:

    > Well that's a big der fred, after believing it was all about clean wound
    > theory and weight weenie stuff.

    I am riding a real crap 25 yr old chrome molly heavy tourer frame
    bicycle with dabs of anti rust
    paint, dogy looking old wheels, ancient pedals and toe clips, and just
    one gear, a 68 inch freewheel.
    28mm Vittoria Randoneur tyres. And even when its below 10C I am out with
    unshaven OLD legs
    and no lycra leg warmers.
    I must be due for award for the daggiest rider in the ACT
    but I always feel a shine when I sail past someone 20 years
    younger at 40, or even 25, and they have all the latest gear....

    I try not to hang around cafe's because for a hot chocolate, and a fudge
    cookie, the damage
    is $7 bloody dollars.

    I for one, don't give a rat's derrier if I don't look well.

    So the silly trilly newspaper article is BS.

    In my racing days, even the vets I rode with sometimes shaved, but never
    for looks;
    it was for less air resistance, and of course the secondary benefit
    is when you fall off the leg repairs are easier.

    I have fallen a number of times, but can't say I ever needed to shave
    legs.

    There sure ain't no shortage of poseurs out on the roads.

    Patrick Turner.

    > Cyclists shave their legs to 'look good'
    > http://tinyurl.com/2d7rz3
    >
    > In further Signs and Wonders, I actually saw a bicycle locked up at the
    > loops at VicRoads HQ on Demark St. Will wonders never cease?
    >
    > --
    > cfsmtb

  17. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    good thing that cyclists are open minded enough to cater for poofs, poseurs and dags:)

  18. >
    > good thing that cyclists are open minded enough to cater for poofs,
    > poseurs and dags:)

    It must be very titilating for a poof in a bike race,
    nothing to view but everyone's arse just in front of you.

    Buminating?

    Patrick Turner.

    > --
    > ProfTournesol

  19. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    ProfTournesol wrote:
    > Patrick Turner Wrote:

    >> There sure ain't no shortage of poseurs out on the roads.

    > good thing that cyclists are open minded enough to cater for poofs,
    > poseurs and dags:)

    The poofs would be the ones riding right up your arse? And the dags, of
    course, hang off the back end. :)

    Theo

  20. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    While i would do it either way, when it is wet, with shaved legs you can chuck massage oil on and the water beads off your legs as opposed to having wet hair locking the water onto your legs.