Cyclists walk, motorcyclists ride

Mike Causer

Guest
This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg

On the plus side Railtrack /have/ put in two sheffield stands and loops
for motorcycles to anchor to. The carp ark is full when there are 8 cars
in it, but I've never seen more than 6. I have never seen a bike or
motorbike there (except mine, posing for the picture).

Mike

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
> and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
> sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg

Our local hospital, BRI for those living in Bristol, has a sign in the car
park "Cyclists Dismount". Strangely engough, the car drivers don't have to
get out and push.

How nice to see that Kafka is alive and well.

Mike Causer wrote:
> This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
> and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
> sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg
>

> On the plus side Railtrack /have/ put in two sheffield stands and loops
> for motorcycles to anchor to. The carp ark is full when there are 8 cars
> in it, but I've never seen more than 6. I have never seen a bike or
> motorbike there (except mine, posing for the picture).
>

> Mike

<pedant>

Its Network Rail now, not Railtrack.

</pedant>

Burt wrote:
> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
> > and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
> > sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg
> >

> Our local hospital, BRI for those living in Bristol, has a sign in the car
> park "Cyclists Dismount". Strangely engough, the car drivers don't have to
> get out and push.
>
> How nice to see that Kafka is alive and well.

My work can beat that. You can drive up to the bike shed and park right
next to it. You can ride a motorbike straight into the bike shed and
leave it there. You can walk into the bike shed and stand smoking there
(it's the only place on site you can smoke).

That's right, you can't ride a bike to it. Grrr..... but only 31 days
before I leave.

PhilO

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:12:42 +0100 someone who may be Mike Causer
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
>and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
>sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg

And what do Network Rail have to say about this, assuming that it is
them rather than the train operator that has erected the sign?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

GazK wrote:
> <pedant>
>
> Its Network Rail now, not Railtrack.
>
> </pedant>

<pedant>

It may have been Railtrack that installed the kit (depending on
timescales).

</pedant>

PhilD

--
<><

Mike Causer <[email protected]> writes:

> This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
> and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
> sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg

From what I remember of the Highway Code, most rectangular signs with
blue background are informational, not instructions.

Maybe it's just warning road users that there may be dismounting
cycles in the area and they should take extra care?

-dan

--
http://coruskate.blogspot.com/ why skate when you can talk about it instead?

Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
> and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
> sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg

There is a road like that (a dead end) off Medina Avenue in Newport,
Isle of Wight. "Cyclist Dismount". Wankers.

Daniele

Mike Causer wrote:

> This is Kennet station in East Cambs. Cyclists are instructed to get off
> and walk, but motorcyclists heading for their designated parking past the
> sign can still ride. http://www.mikecauser.com/images/kennet.jpg

Surely they are both cyclists, whether their bikes are powered by legs
or petrol - so motorcyclists would have to dismount as well?

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the

PhilO wrote:
>You can walk into the bike shed and stand smoking there
> (it's the only place on site you can smoke).

How enclosed is it? It might come under the no smoking legislation
(ours do).

A strange but true story. The local NHS trust bought up some old bus
shelters to use as shelters for nicotine addicts. They then discovered
these were too enclosed and had to get someone to knock some of the
windows out.

...d