Cyclists win police court battle!

iiiiDougiiii wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5119826.stm
>
> London's cyclists have won a legal contest against the police who
> wanted to make a monthly bike event unlawful.

I've never witnessed this event, however assuming the cyclists ride
legally (which would be a very pleasent, albeit rare, sight), and do
not bunch together ala lorries, I don't see the difference between that
and normal traffic at that time and place.

Remember, however you SHOULD

# not ride more than two abreast
# ride in single file on narrow or busy roads

you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you after
you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.

Paul Weaver wrote:

> Remember, however you SHOULD
>
> # not ride more than two abreast

So which law is that?

> # ride in single file on narrow or busy roads

So which law is that?

> you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you

If you want to quote the HC, then try sticking to it yourself.

> after
> you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
> you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.

Hmm, sounds like someone who drives around London with their eyes
closed. Motorists indicating? Not a chance. Keep 'em guessing, that way
you won't get carved up so much..

...d

Steve Walker wrote:

> "The long-running Critical Mass event involves cyclists taking to the
> streets to celebrate safe cycling."
>
> Bollocks. Taking to the streets to spite drivers. Typical BBC bias.

Central London on a Friday PM rush hour? The delays are caused by motor
vehicles (usually buses, which frequently overtake then suddenly stop).

Having said that, a full bus uses less space than the equivelent number
of cyclists, which use less space than a near-empty bus.

Steve Walker wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>,
> iiiiDougiiii <[email protected]> writes
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5119826.stm
> >
> >London's cyclists have won a legal contest against the police who
> >wanted to make a monthly bike event unlawful.

> "The long-running Critical Mass event involves cyclists taking to the
> streets to celebrate safe cycling."
>
> Bollocks. Taking to the streets to spite drivers.

Na, best way to spite drivers would be, once a month leave the bike at
home and drive into town in the car. Obeying the highway code.
Imagine the chaos.

> > Remember, however you SHOULD
> > # not ride more than two abreast

> So which law is that?

he said should, its the instruction given by the highway code. while
its not a specific legal requirement not doing so could be taken as
careless or dangerous driving.

> > # ride in single file on narrow or busy roads

> So which law is that?

he said should, its the instruction given by the highway code. while
its not a specific legal requirement not doing so could be taken as
careless or dangerous driving. Depends on the circumstances.

> > you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you

> If you want to quote the HC, then try sticking to it yourself.

144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a
steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle
pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving
unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back
to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the
gap in front of you. the pair of you sound like you should read it...

> > after
> > you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
> > you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.

in the last week i've seen both cyclists and motorists jumping red
lights and quite a few pedestrians as well ( including one who got
struck by a bus)

> Hmm, sounds like someone who drives around London with their eyes
> closed. Motorists indicating? Not a chance. Keep 'em guessing, that way
> you won't get carved up so much..

Driving in LA is like that. Once someone knows you want to change lane
boy will they try and stop you... suprise seems to be a requirement to
drive over there.

Fod

On 27 Jun 2006 08:36:09 -0700 someone who may be "Fod"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> > you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you

>> If you want to quote the HC, then try sticking to it yourself.

>144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a
>steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle
>pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving
>unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back
>to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the
>gap in front of you. the pair of you sound like you should read it...

None of that asks anyone to "stay out of the way" while being
overtaken.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:

> >> If you want to quote the HC, then try sticking to it yourself.

> >144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a
> >steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle
> >pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving
> >unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back
> >to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the
> >gap in front of you. the pair of you sound like you should read it...

> None of that asks anyone to "stay out of the way" while being
> overtaken.

depends on what you mean by "stay out of the way" when being overtaken
really. Hard to tell exactly what the original poster was meaning as
it could be taken a couple of ways.

If you are driving or cycling safely then you certainly won't be in the
way; if you trying to prevent an overtake on purpose then you are going
against the highwaycode.

the highway code tells you to let the vehicle pass and to not obstruct
it; it specifically says for you to slow down if necessary. If your a
cycle driving one or two abreast in a steady and straightforward manner
then you won't be in anyoneways when when they overtake ( provided they
do so safely).

Cars need to overtake bikes safetly. Fair number of bad drivers around
my way that almost run them off the road to get past.

To this day the only bikes i've seen getting in the way of traffic are
those on a protest video doug posted a while ago where they were
deliberately stopping traffic as a protest; that was certainly not an
everyday occurance. Given how exposed you are on a bike trying to
obstruct an overtaking car would be rather dangerous.

Fod

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you after
> you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
> you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.

Are you telling us the Queen is dead? Odd that the BBC hasn't mentioned
it...

I am now returned from both the seventeenth century and the Post Office.

On 27 Jun 2006 09:15:22 -0700, "Fod" <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you are driving or cycling safely then you certainly won't be in the
>way; if you trying to prevent an overtake on purpose then you are going
>against the highwaycode.

I tend to cycle in the primary position when approching road
narrowings or width restrictions to prevent overtaking. If that goes
against the highway code, then that section of the highway code is an
ass.

Fod wrote:

> in the last week i've seen both cyclists and motorists jumping red
> lights and quite a few pedestrians as well ( including one who got
> struck by a bus)

IMO I see far more peds crossing against a red than all others combined.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

They used dogs. They used probes. They used cardio plate
crossoffs. They used teepers. They used bribery. They used
stick tites. They used intimidation. They used torment. They
used torture. They used finks. They used cops. They used
search and seizure. They used fallaron. They used betterment
incentives. They used finger prints. They used the bertillion
system. They used cunning. They used guile. They used
treachery. They used Raoul-Mitgong but he wasn't much help.
They used applied physics. They used techniques of criminology.
And what the hell, they caught him. (Harlan Ellison, "Repent,
Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man")

Paul Weaver wrote on 27/06/2006 15:47 +0100:

> you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you after
> you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
> you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.

Isn't 8mph about the average speed of motor traffic in London?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 27 Jun 2006 09:15:22 -0700, "Fod" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If you are driving or cycling safely then you certainly won't be in the
>>way; if you trying to prevent an overtake on purpose then you are going
>>against the highwaycode.

> I tend to cycle in the primary position when approching road
> narrowings or width restrictions to prevent overtaking. If that goes
> against the highway code, then that section of the highway code is an
> ass.

Of course, what *some* on uk.tosspot tend to forget that motorists should
not be overtaking when it unsafe to do so. If there is not enough room to
overtake a cyclist without the cyclist supposedly 'getting in the way' then
simply they shouldn't be attempting to overtake the cyclist in the first
place, or the horse & rider, or the pedestrian, or other vehicle...

as in rule 139...

Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should
*not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
*use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways
glance into the blind spot area and then start to move out
*not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking;
there may only be enough room for one vehicle
*move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to
overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but
do not cut in
*take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge
speed and distance
*give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other
obstructions on your side of the road
*only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn
right, and there is room to do so
*stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on
your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
*give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you
would a car when overtaking (see Rules 188, 189 and 191.

In the HC there's a handy hint in the form of a nice coloured drawing which
gives A Clue about how much room to give a cyclist when overtaking.
Surprising how many motorists seem not to have read the HC at all and think
the rules there are only for cyclists to adhere to...

Cheers, helen s
(pedestrian, cyclist & motorist)

Paul Weaver wrote:
> Steve Walker wrote:
>
> > "The long-running Critical Mass event involves cyclists taking to the
> > streets to celebrate safe cycling."
> >
> > Bollocks. Taking to the streets to spite drivers. Typical BBC bias.

> Central London on a Friday PM rush hour? The delays are caused by motor
> vehicles (usually buses, which frequently overtake then suddenly stop).
>
> Having said that, a full bus uses less space than the equivelent number
> of cyclists, which use less space than a near-empty bus.

On Friday most office workers go home early and many can be found in
the pubs instead. Critical Mass starts at about 7pm, just in time to
catch motorists driving into London for an evening's polluting revels.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

"Paul Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Remember, however you SHOULD
>
> # not ride more than two abreast
> # ride in single file on narrow or busy roads

Saw a **** like you trying to pass two abreast cyclists in Liverpool today.
Hooting and tooting his Range Rover. The cyclists were in a cycle/ bus
lane.
Same as the law breaking driver.

> you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you after
> you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
> you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.

No need for this - is there?

--
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

Don Whybrow wrote:
> Fod wrote:
>>
>> in the last week i've seen both cyclists and motorists jumping red
>> lights and quite a few pedestrians as well ( including one who got
>> struck by a bus)

> IMO I see far more peds crossing against a red than all others
> combined.

Fortunately, this is a civilised country and that is perfectly legal,
although baulking other road users is very rude, should they do that.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:52:01 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> you should also (imho) stay out of my way when I'm overtaking you after
>> you rode through that last red light at 8mph or whatever pathetic speed
>> you do, if oyu want to move out, indicate like the rest of us do.
>>

>Isn't 8mph about the average speed of motor traffic in London?

Touche!

"Bob"

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 27 Jun 2006 09:15:22 -0700, "Fod" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If you are driving or cycling safely then you certainly won't be in the
>>way; if you trying to prevent an overtake on purpose then you are going
>>against the highwaycode.

> I tend to cycle in the primary position when approching road
> narrowings or width restrictions to prevent overtaking. If that goes
> against the highway code, then that section of the highway code is an
> ass.

No problem with that. UNLESS there happens to be an adjacent cycle track
which would take the slower cyclist out of the constriction.