Cyclists with Asthma, Ozone Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Johnston

Did anyone have any hard data or experience with Ozone machines? Are any of you cyclists that have
Asthma use Ozone machines to breathe easier? There seems to be plenty of information for both camps
since Alpine got sued for their generators. Telsa used to sell them, they go back pretty far. I got
a small machine for my office because I was getting smoked out by the neighbor's fireplace. After
filing the health dept. twice, they couldn't effect any changes since the fireplace was legal. Quite
often I am a prisoner at home with my windows shut so I opted for an Ozone machine. My friend used
one for years as a Asthmatic sufferer and claimed to have helped him breathe better but he never did
any research on them. Since many states have clamped down on Ozone machines, and lines have been
drawn between the two sides, it hard to find out what the truth is. Some sites with FAQ's claim
Ozone is harmless and that many machines don't produce enough to harm you or the Ozone breaks up as
an unstable compound before it can do any harm. Others claim that their machines limit nitric
releases such as nitric acid or nitric oxide gas with UV technology. The FDA and USDA and health
officials have warned that Ozone machines could reduce lung capacity and consider ozone toxic. O2
becomes O3 and the short-term benefits are obvious. It kills odors and smells good but is it safe? I
don't have a big machine, just a small one that claims to be effective up to 500 square feet. So far
I feel fine, and haven't noticed any problems with eye or nose irritation, breathing problems. Most
of what I have read are those that try to suggest they are safe, namely the vendors and the good ole
Gov telling us not to use them because they are not safe. Does anyone here know what the truth is
about Ozone machines?

Thanks,

Bruce
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That site has plenty of info for Ozone in general, but very little for the Pros and Cons of Ozone
generators. From reading other articles, it looks like the FDA is asking the same question, [show us
the data?] Looks like there hasn't been any studies done on the machines but they have quickly moved
to limit and restrict their use even though there are tons of them in use today. They are not
recognized as medical devices but rather they are know as household appliances. Since they are not
regulated many companies sell them with different options with add-ons like ionizers and oxygen
accelerators. Others limit Nitric compounds and some have pollenex filters for particulate matter,
pollon, etc. Restaurants and commercial enterprises use them to limit particulate matter and odors,
but in a large environment the effects seem to be neglible. The pros seems to be that odors can be
eliminated and act as a germicide, killing viruses and bacteria but there are no studies to prove
that according to the FDA. Those articles could be outdated, and the FDA might have new evidence.
Medical supply stores used to sell them and I suppose some still do, but since the Gov shakedown it
looks like the generators are not legal everywhere. The generators do kill smells like smoke, food,
tobacco, and other odors that are hard to get rid of, but as to being safe to breathe there doesn't
seem to be enough data either way. This ozone is at much lower levels and not to be confused with
outdoor ozone, and doesn't seem to increase even if the machines are left on overnight. It seems
that the only complaints are from those that are already suffering from allergies or respiratory
problems like asthma but ironically some of these same people say the machines have helped them to
breathe easier. Looks like exposure limits for PPM are just guesses detemined by and estimated by
room size and generator output. FTC prohibits Ozone generator manufactures from making claims about
health benifits but they do it anyway. EPA also has no data for either way for Ozone machines. Looks
like some independents studies have been done like Ozonelabs but without Gov oversight or
collaboration the results are questionable.

If anyone has any experience with Ozone generators or has better data, let me know. I would think
that a lot of cyclists that breathe smog or have asthma have at one time or another checked into
charging theirs lungs at home with any number of air purifiers.

thanks, Bruce
-------------------------------------------------------------

"Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Most of what I have read are those that try to suggest they are safe, namely the vendors and the
> > good ole Gov telling us not to
use
> > them because they are not safe. Does anyone here know what the truth is about Ozone machines?
>
>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=10638845&dopt=Abstract
>
>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Display&dopt=pub
med_pubmed&from_uid=685826
>

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:03:07 -0800, "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote:

Use a HEPA air filtration system, very little controversial there.

Sparhawk

I agree that Hepa is a good choice or a larger commerical air filtration system. Hepa is cheaper
though. The only drawback I have read about Hepas is that the filters need to be changed or cleaned
more often.

B-
----------------------------
"Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:03:07 -0800, "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Use a HEPA air filtration system, very little controversial there.
>
> Sparhawk

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I agree that Hepa is a good choice or a larger commerical air filtration system. Hepa is cheaper
> though. The only drawback I have read about Hepas
is
> that the filters need to be changed or cleaned more often.
>

Every six months or so. It isn't that big of a deal. I have a Hepa filter on my central heat/air
system and personal Hepa filters in my bedroom and home office. Seems to help with the allergies
(and thus the asthma)

Status
Not open for further replies.