Cyclo-Core- anyone (besides ric) want to discuss?

lisandom

Mar 22, 2006
{please mighty mr stern, do not post on this thread.}

are there any other c-c users out there.
i'm finding that it has definitely helped improve my overall bike fitness...
and, therefore increased my enjoyment of the ride.

disclaimer: i am not a professional cyclist, just a average avid biker.

lisandom said:

I stay away from anything that proposes it can ACCELERATE my training almost OVERNIGHT!

$60 seems a bit steep for me, but I just bought two more pair of bib shorts cause I wore through the last two in 4 months.. *mumble* Maybe if I switched to cyclo-core I could go through less bibs.... hmmmm.....

Nah. I'll brave the elements and stick to specificity. Hope it works for you like you want it to.

lisandom said:

I'm not sure what the problem is: my role here is to provide info on whether training regimens, sports science, coaching and exercise physiology are useful, correct, incorrect, etc.

I provided info on the previous thread (or more correctly pointed to a thread that discussed ideas related to or similar to core and strength work). The upshot of that is, that for trained cyclists such work isn't necessary except under certain circumstances (e.g., the rider has a functional disability, they can't currently cycle, or the rider is of low fitness - where any exercise will increase performance, or there has been an intervention from e.g., a physiotherapist to work on some injury).

We don't ban people on this site, unless there's good reason (e.g., spamming, vulgarity). So, ultimately, people can post on any thread they like. Thus, you have no right to say who can or cannot post on such a topic. If, however, you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of such a programme, then please feel free to provide a cogent discussion why, in the face of peer reviewed evidence, it (core/strength work) would be beneficial to cycling performance.

Ric

It seems like Cyclo-Core has it's own forum.
Maybe there is a more lively discussion to be had there?

For me I will just stick with the Ablounger (TM) to increase my cycling performance. :D

ric_stern/RST said:
We don't ban people on this site, unless there's good reason (e.g., spamming, vulgarity).

Does calling someone a "twit" or "a big ass" qualifies as vulgarity? ;)

amazing patience presented ;)

I need to learn that some day.:)
(one reason I cannot seem to stick to the game plan of a recovery ride)

ric_stern/RST said:
I'm not sure what the problem is
Ric
Perhaps it's that he doesn't want you to hijack his forum(as could be said about the other thread), or direct the discussion(ditto). You put in your $0.02 and then let others talk.

ric_stern/RST said:
I'm not sure what the problem is: my role here is to provide info on whether training regimens, sports science, coaching and exercise physiology are useful, correct, incorrect, etc.

Ric
This has a major assumption: he knows what is useful, correct, incorrect,etc.

I advise all my fellow competitors to follow his extensive "what not to do list". :)

Felt_Rider said:
It seems like Cyclo-Core has it's own forum.
Maybe there is a more lively discussion to be had there?

For me I will just stick with the Ablounger (TM) to increase my cycling performance. :D
yes felt there is a forum over on that site.
i just wanted some unbiased thoughts over here.

ablounger, huh? sounds promising.:D

blkhotrod said:
This has a major assumption: he knows what is useful, correct, incorrect,etc.

I advise all my fellow competitors to follow his extensive "what not to do list". :)

let's just ignore...

btw nice avatar, hotrod!;)

I have never done the cyclo-CORE program, however, no one can argue that core strength is unimportant. It is priced really high, though. You can just do sit-ups and back extensions for free.

Felt_Rider said:
amazing patience presented ;)

I need to learn that some day.:)
(one reason I cannot seem to stick to the game plan of a recovery ride)

i think in the power forums there's a discussion about L1 rides (which i'd term recovery rides). some are suggesting cycling with a partner (would perhaps work if a partner is less fit than you) or with a child (i'm suggesting your own child if you have one). obviously, i've no idea about your personal circumstance (so these ideas may not be suitable) - but these are a good way of (potentially) sticking to a recovery ride (can't wait till i can take my little boy on a cycle ride -- if he's interested in it). That, or just go for an easy spin the day after thrashing yourself!

ric

I sprung for the Cyclo-Core/Zen DVDs because a weak core has been one of my limiters as rider/racer.

I could merely do sit-ups/crunches, but like a Spinervals DVD Cyclo-Core makes an unpleasant task easier. The DVDs also contain other workouts and stretching routines.

I find by regularly doing these workouts lower back pain while racing & riding is minimalized. If I skip the workouts (easy to do) I feel less "stable" and unable to produce the same power while riding. I wish I could explain that better.

The Cyclo-Core ads, promotional material, even the DVD packaging seem trite and hokey. However, the workouts themselves are challenging and provide me with a nice adjunct to "on the bike" training.

Stigg said:
I sprung for the Cyclo-Core/Zen DVDs because a weak core has been one of my limiters as rider/racer.

I could merely do sit-ups/crunches, but like a Spinervals DVD Cyclo-Core makes an unpleasant task easier. The DVDs also contain other workouts and stretching routines.

I find by regularly doing these workouts lower back pain while racing & riding is minimalized. If I skip the workouts (easy to do) I feel less "stable" and unable to produce the same power while riding. I wish I could explain that better.

The Cyclo-Core ads, promotional material, even the DVD packaging seem trite and hokey. However, the workouts themselves are challenging and provide me with a nice adjunct to "on the bike" training.
yeah, stigg, that's kind of how i feel. it's not the end all be all to biking success, but it gives motivation and variety for on and off bike training. and it's challenging as hell!

i don't want to sound like an ad for the program, just to discuss.

the "bonus features," interviews, nutritional planning, etc. also help to keep your head in the game, so to speak.

lisandom said:

What exactly is the 'topic' of this discussion? Is it just a meeting place for people who have used this product (whatever it is), or are you looking for people with which you can discuss what this thing does and how or why?

I guess I'm just wondering if there's really a question here, or if it's just a thread for people to say "yay, I use it." :confused: I suppose it's okay either way, it's just that the latter tends to read more like an infomercial than a discussion thread.

lisandom said:
yeah, stigg, that's kind of how i feel. it's not the end all be all to biking success, but it gives motivation and variety for on and off bike training. and it's challenging as hell!

i don't want to sound like an ad for the program, just to discuss.

the "bonus features," interviews, nutritional planning, etc. also help to keep your head in the game, so to speak.

I have not found much use for the "Bonus Features". I actually think they detract from the rest of the program - too hokey...IMHO.

The back exercises/stretching have been the most useful. The 20min ab workout is cool too.

Stigg said:

How long and how often have you been using these two programs? The package that I was looking at included the Core, Zen and Speed DVDs and also included downloadable training plans on: climbing, speed & TT and century rides. All at a discounted price of $155. I was thinking that this was pricey. What I just wrote sounds like a plug/advertisement for the product, but it isn't! I'm just looking for others that have used the aforementioned products that post on this forum as opposed to the Cyclo-Core mentioned by lisandom. For all I know the owners post them. Thanks.

Stigg said:
I have not found much use for the "Bonus Features". I actually think they detract from the rest of the program - too hokey...IMHO.

The back exercises/stretching have been the most useful. The 20min ab workout is cool too.
Couldn't you find these same exercises in a workout book? Or are they that specific which makes these DVDs that unique?