cyclo-cross in Australia

climbo

Apr 4, 2003
Is there any sort of CX racing in Oz? I never read or hear anything about it.

I take that as a big NO. That sucks, I'm starting a CX race series when I get back to Oz, we need CROSS, and we need someone at World's.

I've never heard of a real place called "Oz". But I do live in AUSTRALIA and there's bugger all cyclocross racing here. Road racing occurs during our winter to coincide with the northern summer (which I think is a stupid idea - too cold during winter), whilst MTB racing happens in the summer.

Im sure we would get decent quality fields if a RR series was held in summer instead of these bloody crits.

Luke stockwell has represented Australia at the worlds in MTB, Road and Cross. If you want to enter the cyclocross worlds then go for it, you just will need to either race in MTB races in australia or go to Europe.

i was thinking about this this morning and really, in perth and surrounds the landscape doesnt really suit cyclocross. To much gravel make it like marbles on the track and riding a MTB is challenging enough. Cyclocross, that would be really challenging!!
But hey, i would love to see it!

Cyclo-cross can be run in any grassy/dirt road/pavement type area, I can't imagine that there is nowhere in Perth suitable for cyclo-cross, the courses are nothing like a MTB course.

As for representing at Worlds, I just put it out there, that we should have more cross so that we do have some talented riders to represent us, we are in every other aspect of cycling at the World level. If I was good enough I would love to go. What year did Luke do it? 3 or 4 years ago?

I think it was a few years ago that Luke went in it......that said it is second hand information to me so I do not really know.

Originally posted by tafi
I've never heard of a real place called "Oz". But I do live in AUSTRALIA and there's bugger all cyclocross racing here. Road racing occurs during our winter to coincide with the northern summer (which I think is a stupid idea - too cold during winter), whilst MTB racing happens in the summer.

Im sure we would get decent quality fields if a RR series was held in summer instead of these bloody crits.

The Tour Down Under is on in January in Adelaide. Is that summer enough for you?:confused:

Originally posted by Spider1977
The Tour Down Under is on in January in Adelaide. Is that summer enough for you?:confused:

For club level races, for mere mortals like us, we only have Crits during summer. As a general rule (excepting the TDU) it is road in winter, track in summer.

I too wish it was road now, got a new bike yesterday and want to see how my baby performs! :cool:

Originally posted by Etxy
For club level races, for mere mortals like us, we only have Crits during summer. As a general rule (excepting the TDU) it is road in winter, track in summer.

I too wish it was road now, got a new bike yesterday and want to see how my baby performs! :cool:

You guys must be in the wrong State. Plenty of road races down here in summer. Admittedly not elite level, but you'll get some pretty good racing even for Div. 1 riders. In fact Crits. seem to be much less frequent here than seems to happen with mainland clubs.

You guys must be in the wrong State. Plenty of road races down here in summer. Admittedly not elite level, but you'll get some pretty good racing even for Div. 1 riders. In fact Crits. seem to be much less frequent here than seems to happen with mainland clubs.

for a state with hardly any riders you have a good range of races

in melbourne we just have five crits per week.

which is stupid if you want to have a good road season.

your meant to be doing base km, but instead everyone does races. maybe thats why we have good track/sprinter people?

there is awesome crit depth but not on the road.

Originally posted by climbo
I take that as a big NO. That sucks, I'm starting a CX race series when I get back to Oz, we need CROSS, and we need someone at World's.

Please, please, please, start some cross racing. In Melbourne. I'll come. As soon as I can afford another bike...

my house is in Oz is on the central coast of NSW so probably not much chance of me starting a cross race in Melb., maybe it'll catch on down there anyway.

The tour down under is not an open race! I'm talking about road races for amateurs like you and me.

I have heard tha Canberra Cycling CLub was going to run a few CYCLOCROSS events, but it never went ahead. I believe we have enough people to set up a series, and like you, I have been interested in racing at the worlds. Or like me, you can race a cyclocross bike at mountian bike races, its allowed due to unrestricted wheel dimensions!!!

Originally posted by tafi
The tour down under is not an open race! I'm talking about road races for amateurs like you and me.

Tafi, Emigrate to Tasmania, there is a road race every weekend (and crits. are infrequent).

Mountain Bike Club FTF is very close to putting on some Cyclocross races soon, open to all 700C and 29 inch Wheels.

rhino said:
Mountain Bike Club FTF is very close to putting on some Cyclocross races soon, open to all 700C and 29 inch Wheels.

Strong! Where/when? Is the secretary gonna bust nuts on his flat bar cyclo single speed like he did in an MTB state round a little while ago??

Ha ha, maybe! It could be said that my cyclocross bike is getting built tonight, so that has got me urgently organising the first race. Fingers crossed it will be at Westerfelds, up and down the grassy knols, with standard wooden beams to get over and run.

Putting together an IL Pomino Singlespeed, along with a geared beast once the frame arrives.

Will post the update on Thursday.

rhino said:
Ha ha, maybe! It could be said that my cyclocross bike is getting built tonight, so that has got me urgently organising the first race. Fingers crossed it will be at Westerfelds, up and down the grassy knols, with standard wooden beams to get over and run.

Putting together an IL Pomino Singlespeed, along with a geared beast once the frame arrives.

Will post the update on Thursday.

Rock and Roll!!!