Cyclo Freewheels - French Thread Only?



D

David White

Guest
Hi. I am working on a friend's Mondia Special. It has Campy Record hubs and a
Cyclo (I am pretty sure) 5-speed freewheel. I am wondering if all Cyclo
freewheels were French threaded as this would mean the hub is French also. If
some were English threaded, I would have some hope that a newer Suntour I have
will fit. Thanks.
 
S

Sheldon Brown

Guest
David White wrote:

> Hi. I am working on a friend's Mondia Special. It has Campy Record hubs
> and a Cyclo (I am pretty sure) 5-speed freewheel. I am wondering if all
> Cyclo freewheels were French threaded


No they weren't.

> as this would mean the hub is
> French also. If some were English threaded, I would have some hope that
> a newer Suntour I have will fit. Thanks.


If it _is_ French thread hub, an English/ISO freewheel (or bottom
bracket lockring) will feel all loose and wobbly on it.

A French freewheel will not screw onto a standard hub.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html#threading

Sheldon "Maybe" Brown
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| History does not record anywhere at any time a religion |
| that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for |
| people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown |
| without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have |
| a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to |
| derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
 
D

David White

Guest
Thanks Sheldon.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> David White wrote:
>
>> Hi. I am working on a friend's Mondia Special. It has Campy Record
>> hubs and a Cyclo (I am pretty sure) 5-speed freewheel. I am wondering
>> if all Cyclo freewheels were French threaded

>
>
> No they weren't.
>
>> as this would mean the hub is French also. If some were English
>> threaded, I would have some hope that a newer Suntour I have will fit.
>> Thanks.

>
>
> If it _is_ French thread hub, an English/ISO freewheel (or bottom
> bracket lockring) will feel all loose and wobbly on it.
>
> A French freewheel will not screw onto a standard hub.
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html#threading
>
> Sheldon "Maybe" Brown
> +-----------------------------------------------------------+
> | History does not record anywhere at any time a religion |
> | that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for |
> | people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown |
> | without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have |
> | a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to |
> | derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it. |
> | --Robert A. Heinlein |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
>
 
D

David L. Johnson

Guest
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:50:36 -0400, Sheldon Brown wrote:


>> as this would mean the hub is
>> French also. If some were English threaded, I would have some hope that
>> a newer Suntour I have will fit. Thanks.

>
> If it _is_ French thread hub, an English/ISO freewheel (or bottom
> bracket lockring) will feel all loose and wobbly on it.


Were there French-threaded Campy hubs?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |
 
M

me

Guest
Wow. A Mondia Special is a blast from the past and a beautiful frameset to
see. My friend Brian road one back in Columbus Ohio circa 1974. It died an
unfortunate death when chroming chemicals improperly neutralized corroded
the seat tube apart at the bottom bracket. All of the lugs, ends and BB were
chromed and fade painted.

Jeffrey


"David White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi. I am working on a friend's Mondia Special. It has Campy Record hubs
> and a Cyclo (I am pretty sure) 5-speed freewheel. I am wondering if all
> Cyclo freewheels were French threaded as this would mean the hub is French
> also. If some were English threaded, I would have some hope that a newer
> Suntour I have will fit. Thanks.
 
D

David White

Guest
This one is similar, except of course that it has not self destructed.

me wrote:

> Wow. A Mondia Special is a blast from the past and a beautiful frameset to
> see. My friend Brian road one back in Columbus Ohio circa 1974. It died an
> unfortunate death when chroming chemicals improperly neutralized corroded
> the seat tube apart at the bottom bracket. All of the lugs, ends and BB were
> chromed and fade painted.
>
> Jeffrey
>
>
> "David White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>Hi. I am working on a friend's Mondia Special. It has Campy Record hubs
>>and a Cyclo (I am pretty sure) 5-speed freewheel. I am wondering if all
>>Cyclo freewheels were French threaded as this would mean the hub is French
>>also. If some were English threaded, I would have some hope that a newer
>>Suntour I have will fit. Thanks.

>
>
>
 
M

Mark Janeba

Guest
David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:50:36 -0400, Sheldon Brown wrote:
>>>as this would mean the hub is
>>>French also. If some were English threaded, I would have some hope that
>>>a newer Suntour I have will fit. Thanks.

>>
>>If it _is_ French thread hub, an English/ISO freewheel (or bottom
>>bracket lockring) will feel all loose and wobbly on it.

>
> Were there French-threaded Campy hubs?


My 4th edition Sutherland's seems to say "yes" - it describes markings
on Campy hubs "older models" - English: grooved band, French: no band,
Italian: no band.

Since English and Italian threadings are close, I suppose you were
supposed to identify French threading by Sheldon's method.

I can't say that I miss the French threading standard - it always made a
headache for finding parts when working on a bike of this type - at
least in the U.S.

Mark
 
J

jtaylor

Guest
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:50:36 -0400, Sheldon Brown wrote:
>
>
> >> as this would mean the hub is
> >> French also. If some were English threaded, I would have some hope that
> >> a newer Suntour I have will fit. Thanks.

> >
> > If it _is_ French thread hub, an English/ISO freewheel (or bottom
> > bracket lockring) will feel all loose and wobbly on it.

>
> Were there French-threaded Campy hubs?
>


Yup. Got some in a box over there....
 
A

Alex Rodriguez

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...
>
>
>Hi. I am working on a friend's Mondia Special. It has Campy Record hubs and a
>Cyclo (I am pretty sure) 5-speed freewheel. I am wondering if all Cyclo
>freewheels were French threaded as this would mean the hub is French also. If
>some were English threaded, I would have some hope that a newer Suntour I have
>will fit. Thanks.


Some hubs have the thread specificaitons engraved on the hub right by the
threads. You may want to see if your hub has this information on it.
--------------
Alex
 

Similar threads