Cyclocomputers - Elapsed Time Only?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary German, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    Are there any cycle computers that show total Elapsed Time only, but do not show Ride Time (i.e.,
    time when the bike is moving)?

    I've developed a bicycle ride logger/diary program, but one of my beta testers has complained
    because the program does not allow him to enter Average Speed (it is currently designed so that you
    enter Ride Distance and Ride Time, and the program computes Average Speed).

    My beta tester says that his cycle computer only displays total Elapsed Time, and Average Speed.
    And so, he needs to be able to enter Ride Distance and Average Speed, and have the program compute
    Ride Time.

    Before I make this change, I wanted to find out if there are other folks out there using computers
    that are not capable of displaying Ride Time.

    TIA,

    Gary G.

    Tags:

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Gary German wrote:
    > Are there any cycle computers that show total Elapsed Time only, but do not show Ride Time (i.e.,
    > time when the bike is moving)?

    I think that was normal for early bike computers. More modern ones have an 'auto' setting to stop to
    clock when stationary, right? Mine has the choice of either mode.

    > My beta tester says that his cycle computer only displays total Elapsed Time, and Average Speed.
    > And so, he needs to be able to enter Ride Distance and Average Speed, and have the program compute
    > Ride Time.

    I suspect that will not help. His 'average speed' would be derived from the given
    distance/elapsed-time.

    > Before I make this change, I wanted to find out if there are other folks out there using computers
    > that are not capable of displaying Ride Time.

    Yes, older ones.

    > TIA,
    >
    > Gary G.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Gary German wrote:
    > Are there any cycle computers that show total Elapsed Time only, but do not show Ride Time (i.e.,
    > time when the bike is moving)?

    Cateye Mity 3 offers the choice of total time or ride time, and is a good computer generally.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Gary German wrote:
    > Are there any cycle computers that show total Elapsed Time only, but do not show Ride Time (i.e.,
    > time when the bike is moving)?

    The direct answer to your question is: yes. Some cheaper and older computers only show total elapsed
    time. Some computers offer both, but many modern basic models only do ride time.

    I don't really understand what you need, but can't just you use a separate stop-watch (wrist
    watch) if you need BOTH total and ride times? Alternatively, some computers have an independent
    stop watch feature.

    ~PB

  5. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Gary German" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are there any cycle computers that show total Elapsed Time only, but do
    not
    > show Ride Time (i.e., time when the bike is moving)?
    >
    > I've developed a bicycle ride logger/diary program, but one of my beta testers has complained
    > because the program does not allow him to enter Average Speed (it is currently designed so that
    > you enter Ride Distance
    and
    > Ride Time, and the program computes Average Speed).
    >
    > My beta tester says that his cycle computer only displays total Elapsed Time, and Average Speed.
    > And so, he needs to be able to enter Ride
    Distance
    > and Average Speed, and have the program compute Ride Time.
    >
    > Before I make this change, I wanted to find out if there are other folks
    out
    > there using computers that are not capable of displaying Ride Time.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Gary G.

    Thanks to all who replied. It confirmed my suspicions that computers that only show "Elapsed Time",
    and not "Ride Time" can be considered "obsolete".

    Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear in my original post, but the reason I was asking about this has to
    do with a cycling-related software program I'm developing. The software is designed to track bike
    rides, bike maintenance, health, etc.

    Based on the cycle computers that I and my riding friends use, I had assumed that users of the
    program would enter Ride Distance, and Ride Time (and my program would calculate Average Speed).

    But, one of my beta testers apparently has an old cycle computer that only displays Ride Distance,
    and Elapsed Time (although he claims it also shows him Average Speed...which is weird, because it
    would have to know Ride Time to make the calculation).

    Anyway, he wants me to modify the program so that he can manually enter Average Speed, and have the
    program calculate the Ride Time.

    I've worked hard to keep the user interface as easy and intuitive to use as possible, so I don't
    think I want to complicate it by allowing for entry of Average Speed. Based on your feedback, it
    sounds like this feature would only be of value to a very small minority of potential users.

    Thanks again.

    Gary G.

  6. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:52:06 -0800, "Gary German" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote:

    >Thanks to all who replied. It confirmed my suspicions that computers that only show "Elapsed Time",
    >and not "Ride Time" can be considered "obsolete".
    >
    >Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear in my original post, but the reason I was asking about this has to
    >do with a cycling-related software program I'm developing. The software is designed to track bike
    >rides, bike maintenance, health, etc.
    >
    >Based on the cycle computers that I and my riding friends use, I had assumed that users of the
    >program would enter Ride Distance, and Ride Time (and my program would calculate Average Speed).
    >
    >But, one of my beta testers apparently has an old cycle computer that only displays Ride Distance,
    >and Elapsed Time (although he claims it also shows him Average Speed...which is weird, because it
    >would have to know Ride Time to make the calculation).
    >
    >Anyway, he wants me to modify the program so that he can manually enter Average Speed, and have the
    >program calculate the Ride Time.

    I'm not sure what cyclocomputer your beta tester is using, but I have Cateye Micros (CC-6000) on
    three of my bikes. The Micro only tracks total elapsed time (not time actually moving) and
    calculates average speed based upon elapsed time. If your beta tester has a Micro, adding the
    feature he's recommending will result in a function that will duplicate a number already computed by
    the Micro.

  7. Gary German wrote:

    > I've worked hard to keep the user interface as easy and intuitive to use as possible, so I don't
    > think I want to complicate it by allowing for entry of Average Speed. Based on your feedback, it
    > sounds like this feature would only be of value to a very small minority of potential users.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Gary G.

    If you want to get fancy, I think a better feature would be to be able to select a particular phase
    of the trip and have data presented for this section.

    For instance you may have been hauling ass or climbing a big hill between 60 and 90 minutes into the
    ride. It could be interesting to see what your average speed was for this section etc.

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  8. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gary German wrote:
    > >
    > > I've worked hard to keep the user interface as easy and intuitive to use as possible, so I don't
    > > think I want to complicate it by allowing for entry of Average Speed. Based on your feedback, it
    > > sounds like this feature would only be of value to a very small minority of potential users.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.
    > >
    > > Gary G.
    >
    > If you want to get fancy, I think a better feature would be to be able to select a particular
    > phase of the trip and have data presented for this section.
    >
    > For instance you may have been hauling ass or climbing a big hill between 60 and 90 minutes into
    > the ride. It could be interesting to see what your average speed was for this section etc.
    >
    > --
    > Perre
    >
    > Remove the DOTs to reply

    Yes...on my list of things-to-do is an "Intervals" feature, so you can enter data like that, but not
    have it added to the summaries for total distance, average speed, etc.

    Gary G.

  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > If you want to get fancy, I think a better feature would be to be able to select a particular
    > phase of the trip and have data presented for this section.
    >
    > For instance you may have been hauling ass or climbing a big hill between 60 and 90 minutes into
    > the ride. It could be interesting to see what your average speed was for this section etc.

    This is easily done if you use a GPS receiver as your bike computer. They record your positions
    along the way and include a precise timestamp so you can later display both your path and your
    speed at each point by downloading the data to your PC. They also provide an elevation profile of
    your ride.

  10. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    : Cateye Mity 3 offers the choice of total time or ride time, and is a good computer generally.

    it's a pity the UI was designed by, well, an idiot. i find the older VDOs to be about the most
    intuitive. flighdeck is ok.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:

    >> Cateye Mity 3 offers the choice of total time or ride time, and is a good computer generally.
    >
    > it's a pity the UI was designed by, well, an idiot.

    I think it's not bad (once setup). There are much worse UI's out there. I prefer having a few main
    modes then sub modes to having to cycle through a large number of modes serially. Just a shame the
    clock isn't one of the main modes. Is it just me who mostly uses their computer as a alternative to
    wearing a watch? :)

    ~PB

  12. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    : I prefer having a few main modes then sub modes to having to cycle through a large number of modes
    : serially.

    if you're happy with the main modes (ride time, average speed and distance1) i can see how you'd be
    ok with this computer. the one that drove me nuts was the odometer -- from distance1 you have to
    hold down the mode button for two seconds to get to distance2 and then another two seconds to get to
    odometer ... all while riding (bad dave, i know). i would love a computer that let you select the
    main modes.

    ack & you can't switch between miles and km w/o resetting the whole thing (to be fair, that's true
    of a number of them).

    : Just a shame the clock isn't one of the main modes. Is it just me who mostly uses their computer
    : as a alternative to wearing a watch? :)

    that's definitely true for me.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]