Cyclocross Bike. Budget of £1500.

PhilJones2004

Aug 1, 2013
Just after some advice and everybody's thoughts please :)

I am looking at buying a new cyclocross bike with a budget of around £1500.

I have narrowed down the choice to a Boardman CX Pro or a BMC granfondo gf02 disc.

There is a fairly big difference in the weight between these two, the BMC at 18lbs and the Boardman at 22lbs.
The bike will be used mainly for a daily commute which is all on road and the occasional longer ride at weekends which will be 80% on road, 20% light trail riding, gravel, forest floor etc.

Any thoughts between the two bikes would be much appreciated. I do really like the Boardman but I am concerned about the 4lb weight difference between the two bikes.

Many Thanks,
Phil

The weight difference isn't really important between those two bikes especially for your planned use. Sure cyclocross racers that regularly lift and shoulder their bikes appreciate minimal weight but for actual riding it's not going to make any noticeable difference.

Don't forget a few of decades ago folks like Eddy Merckx and Bernard Hinault were winning races like the Tour de France on bikes that weighed about 22 pounds. It's not as big a deal as many cyclists think and really meaningless for daily commuting and casual trail riding.

Buy the bike you like that fits your budget. I don't know what's available on your side of the pond but other good choices are Redline, Specialized, Bianchi, Fuji, Ridley, Salsa, Van Dessel and of course many others. Lot's of good cross bikes out there these days.

-Dave