Cyclocross brakes on a road bike

1id10t

Apr 11, 2005
Just wondering if anyone had any experience installing and using cyclocross brakes on a road bike. I use my road bike mostly for commuting and am thinking of adding cyclocross brakes for when I ride on the tops. I usually ride either on the hoods or the tops and rarely in the drops.
Any suggestions, opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

1id10t said:
Just wondering if anyone had any experience installing and using cyclocross brakes on a road bike. I use my road bike mostly for commuting and am thinking of adding cyclocross brakes for when I ride on the tops. I usually ride either on the hoods or the tops and rarely in the drops.
Any suggestions, opinions or experiences would be appreciated.
Can't see why it wouldn't be fine. The only neg I can think of for it would be that you're reducing bar space for lights/computer/HRM if you do that. If you don't mind that, then it's more or less a no-brainer.

n

nerdag said:
Can't see why it wouldn't be fine. The only neg I can think of for it would be that you're reducing bar space for lights/computer/HRM if you do that. If you don't mind that, then it's more or less a no-brainer.

n
Thanks for the reply. I figured I'd lose some real estate on the bars. However, will I require a 'cable splitter', will I need some kind of travel agent for the cables if using with the brakes I have rather than cantilevers, are there any suggestions on what brand of brake levers are out there and how effective they are or should I just do without if they don't provide much additional benefit. Tried looking for some information online this afternoon while at work but couldn't find much in the time I had available.

1id10t said:
Thanks for the reply. I figured I'd lose some real estate on the bars. However, will I require a 'cable splitter', will I need some kind of travel agent for the cables if using with the brakes I have rather than cantilevers, are there any suggestions on what brand of brake levers are out there and how effective they are or should I just do without if they don't provide much additional benefit. Tried looking for some information online this afternoon while at work but couldn't find much in the time I had available.
you don't need a cable splitter- the top mount brakes work in-line. you cut the housing where the CX brakes go.
and both road brakes and CX style cantilevers both work with normal road brake levers (including STI).

there are pros that have used such a set-up at paris-roubaix. and CX bikes are basically road bikes with a few small changes. no reason it won't work

marc

dc.cyclocross said:
you don't need a cable splitter- the top mount brakes work in-line. you cut the housing where the CX brakes go.
and both road brakes and CX style cantilevers both work with normal road brake levers (including STI).

there are pros that have used such a set-up at paris-roubaix. and CX bikes are basically road bikes with a few small changes. no reason it won't work

marc

Thanks for the info Marc. I think i'll try them. Didn't think there would be much to it but wanted to make sure before finding out I had to then go and buy extra bits and pieces.