cyclocross crankset on road bike?

Shreklookalike

Aug 10, 2004
I'm currently riding a Giant OCR1 with a triple, but . . .

1. I have practically no need for the granny ring, as the steepest hills I climb are only about 6% grade.
  2. I'm much more of a spinner than a gear masher so I spend much more time in my middle chainring than in the big ring.
I've looked at "compact doubles" for road bikes, however I'm not really looking for lower "low" gears, but I think I might spend more time in the big ring of a 48 tooth cyclocross crank than in a 50 tooth big ring of a compact double or the 51 tooth big ring on my triple.

Does this make any sense to anyone, or am I a nutcase (not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive)?

Shreklookalike said:

1. I have practically no need for the granny ring, as the steepest hills I climb are only about 6% grade.
  2. I'm much more of a spinner than a gear masher so I spend much more time in my middle chainring than in the big ring.
I've looked at "compact doubles" for road bikes, however I'm not really looking for lower "low" gears, but I think I might spend more time in the big ring of a 48 tooth cyclocross crank than in a 50 tooth big ring of a compact double or the 51 tooth big ring on my triple.

Does this make any sense to anyone, or am I a nutcase (not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive)?

You can certainly put a 48 tooth ring on your crankset...

I like my lower gears though! (50-34 and 11-26)

Shreklookalike said:

You can choose whatever gear combination works for you--That is why so many different sizes are available.

I assume your crankset is 30/42/52 or 30/39/52, 9 or 10 speed?

I would leave the crankset as is and change the rear cassette, a 13-23 or 13-25 would give you the drop in gearing you desire. Leave the 30t on the crankset, it may stop the chain falling off. :D