cyclocross for touring/around town/more?

matt rascal

Aug 23, 2006
hey guys!

I'm 18 years old, pretty athletic, and getting into cycling. For the last couple of month, i've been riding my mom's comfort bike around town and to school (~5 miles). I've been looking for a road bicycle and very nearly bought a trek 1000. However, this summer i'm planning to tour europe (very light touring, staying at hostels) for a little more than a month and it seems like if i got a pure road bike, i would have to purchase another bike for the tour. i have a steady part-time job, but it is going to take all of my resources to pull this trip off and i'd rather just invest in a good quality 'do-it-all' bike.

SO, i'm looking for a bicycle that would be suitable for a light, long tour but that would also be nimble (fun) to get around town in a hurry. I am young and like to ride fast :). I'd rather not get a sluggish dedicated touring bike, but if that is the best option, i will. I've been looking into the trek XO-1 and similar cyclocross bikes. I'd probably put some road tires on it for riding around town. Would this be able to carry some lightly packed paniers and a handlebar bag? How much slower would a cyclocross with road tires be if i wanted to do long charity races (ms-150) - i'd like to be able to compete.

I'd like to spend around 1k but am willing to make exceptions.

thanks in advance for any help!

I've got a Surly Crosscheck and I love it. It's a bit heavy but very versatile, you can fit almost any tires on it and proper mudguards. I ride it on the streets and forest trails. I ride in the summer and through ice and snow in the winter. It's not as fast as my race bike, but it's not like a weaker rider will blow past you because he has a faster bike. If you have a race bike that you're used to pedal you will notice a slight difference.

If I only got to keep one bike it would the crosscheck