cyclocross sizing

martigon

Sep 16, 2004
I've heard that for a cyclocross bike, one should pick a frame size smaller than they're measurement. is this true ? can anyone elaborate on this for me ?
according to wrenchscience.com fitting calc. I would normally use 55cm frame. I'm 6' tall weighing about 165 lbs. does this sound right ?

Some say a smaller frame is desireable because it's easier to get on and off. As far a fitting, I've tried three frames that all seemed to fit well - one was 61cm, one was 59cm, and the other was 57cm. I ended up with the 57cm one because it was a steel frame (my favorite) and it rode better. I am 6'0" and weigh 200+. I think you have to try them.

Good luck!

Dean

This site seems to explain proper inseem measurement better.

martigon said:
I've heard that for a cyclocross bike, one should pick a frame size smaller than they're measurement. is this true ? can anyone elaborate on this for me ?
according to wrenchscience.com fitting calc. I would normally use 55cm frame. I'm 6' tall weighing about 165 lbs. does this sound right ?

You will want a smaller sized frame than a similarly fitted road bike. The bottom bracket hieght is higher on a cyclocroos specific fram than a road frame for ground clearance. I am currently building a cyclocross bike, and ride a 54cm Cannondale. I looked up the specs on my bike in the Cannondale catalog, and compared it to the measurements of their cyclocross bikes. The standover heights and top tube measurements on the cyclocross C'Dale for the 52cm were very similar to my road frame. I presonally want more room between my crotch and the top tube so I'll be going with the 50cm frame, and just adding a longer stem to keep the proportions similar. Just my 2¢.