cyclocross specific training

zewol

Nov 28, 2003
Hi guys, I'm looking for advices on building a specific training program for 'cross... any idea?

and I wanted to know if any of you knew Simon Burley's Cyclocross training and technique book and is it worth buying?

thx for your info!

zewol said:
Hi guys, I'm looking for advices on building a specific training program for 'cross... any idea?

and I wanted to know if any of you knew Simon Burley's Cyclocross training and technique book and is it worth buying?

thx for your info!

Have you ever raced a cross race? If not this might be helpful.

http://www.roadcycling.com/news/article435.shtml

If so then its probably not what you are looking for. Good luck

zewol said:
ed073 said:
-your normal road program
I don't have and don't want a road program... I want a cyclo-cross program. If possible...

You'll need to do some road training/racing to be competitive. It's a fact.

Yes i did some 'cross racing last year... I am really looking for this sport! but forgive my ignorance, i thought there might have been really some kind of training mainly oriented on cross since i won't race on the road...

zewol said:
Yes i did some 'cross racing last year... I am really looking for this sport! but forgive my ignorance, i thought there might have been really some kind of training mainly oriented on cross since i won't race on the road...

if you require something specific, your best option is to get a coach. At RST we have coached national champions at cross, and would be happy to help you out.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
if you require something specific, your best option is to get a coach. At RST we have coached national champions at cross, and would be happy to help you out.

Ric

Is your website down.. i tried to look it up tonight and I could'nt load it...(april 19th 9pm)

ed073 said:
You'll need to do some road training/racing to be competitive. It's a fact.

This implies following a training programme for road races is essential for cyclo-cross. The physical demands of cross make it closer to a time-trial or mountain-bike race. Of course, training ON the road is beneficial but don't train FOR the road.

You don't need to do road/mountain bike races to be competitive. However, at the beggining of the season you're road/mountain competitors will be still flying, and it'll take you a few races to find race fitness. As far as 'cross specific training goes, you need lots of threshold work (at least as long as you're race time) lots of vo2max work and some anaerobic work as well. Maybe also some slow speed standing-start sprints, as you do that often coming out of corners and off of obstacles. For running, once you can run 4 or so miles fairly easily, do some hill sprints, flat sprints, and maybe drills like "high-knees." Also don't forget a lot of technique work. And if you don't race until cross season, do something to test your fitness. (hard group rides, tt's, etc.)