Cyclocross tire on a road bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kolaga Xiuhtecu, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine for
    my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll probably
    want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more traction in
    the sand would be nice.

    So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
    (Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

    Tags:

  2. My son has a road bike (racer) and he has cross tyres on it no problem.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine for
    >my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll
    >probably want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more
    >traction in the sand would be nice.
    >
    >So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
    >(Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

    This is really something you will have to discover for yourself. The normal issues are clearance
    with the brakes. Some of the Sequoia bikes use normal reach (47-57mm) brakes rather than the
    standard short reach brakes, this allow you to run significantly larger tires.

    The other problem is that tires vary, often tires that are rated at 28mm are actually only 25 mm but
    there are a few like the Specialized Armadillos that are actually larger.

    So, this is pretty much a try and see deal.

    Jon Isaacs

  4. Lincoln Ross

    Lincoln Ross Guest

    DO a search on tire size at www.sheldonbrown.com. THere's a chart. You'll need to measure your rim
    inside width.

    --
    Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]