Cyclocross tire on a road bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kolaga Xiuhtecu

My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine for
my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll probably
want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more traction in
the sand would be nice.

So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
(Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

My son has a road bike (racer) and he has cross tyres on it no problem.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

>My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine for
>my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll
>probably want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more
>traction in the sand would be nice.
>
>So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
>(Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

This is really something you will have to discover for yourself. The normal issues are clearance
with the brakes. Some of the Sequoia bikes use normal reach (47-57mm) brakes rather than the
standard short reach brakes, this allow you to run significantly larger tires.

The other problem is that tires vary, often tires that are rated at 28mm are actually only 25 mm but
there are a few like the Specialized Armadillos that are actually larger.

So, this is pretty much a try and see deal.

Jon Isaacs

DO a search on tire size at www.sheldonbrown.com. THere's a chart. You'll need to measure your rim
inside width.

Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli wrote:
>
> My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine
> for my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll
> probably want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more
> traction in the sand would be nice.
>
> So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
> (Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

--
Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.