Cyclocross tire on a road bike

Kolaga Xiuhtecu

Guest
My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine for
my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll probably
want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more traction in
the sand would be nice.

So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
(Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

My son has a road bike (racer) and he has cross tyres on it no problem.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>My new commuter bike is a Specialized Sequoia Sport. The stock tires are 700x26. They seem fine for
>my ride to and from work over sidewalks and roads of variable quality. But eventually, I'll
>probably want to upgrade to something a tad wider with more air and a tougher tread. A bit more
>traction in the sand would be nice.
>
>So how wide a tire will I be able to fit on a standard road rim? My brakes are standard calipher
>(Sora/Tiagra components)? thx

This is really something you will have to discover for yourself. The normal issues are clearance
with the brakes. Some of the Sequoia bikes use normal reach (47-57mm) brakes rather than the
standard short reach brakes, this allow you to run significantly larger tires.

The other problem is that tires vary, often tires that are rated at 28mm are actually only 25 mm but
there are a few like the Specialized Armadillos that are actually larger.

So, this is pretty much a try and see deal.

Jon Isaacs

DO a search on tire size at www.sheldonbrown.com. THere's a chart. You'll need to measure your rim
inside width.

--
Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]