Cyclocross/Touring Rims

choltzen

Apr 28, 2006
I'm building up a new cyclocross/medium touring bike. I want to build up a set of wheels that are as lightweight as possible, but durable and strong enough so I don't have to worry about them busting. I weight about 175 and I never tour with more than 50 pounds of gear, but I do like to ride some pretty rough trails. I've been looking at Mavic CXP 33s (470 grams) and Ambrosio ExcelLight (420 grams). My first choice based on looks and weight are the ExcelLights drilled for 28 in the front and 32 or 36 in the back. However, I've heard that the CXP 33s are worth the extra weight in what they make up for in durability. I would get these drilled 28 and 32. Whichever rims I get, they will probably be laced to XT Hubs. Any advice I could get on which of these to get or suggestions for any other rims would be great. Also, is it wise of me to lace up fewer spokes in the front since that wheel will be taking the brunt of the impact? I figured more spokes in rear would be necessary to carry the weight of a touring load. I have a friend that is using Salsa Delgado rims and loves them. Are they a legitimate option? Thanks a lot. Cheers~Clint

It will help if you put you location (country) in the details at the left. You may then get some local responses. :)

If you are in Aus, try Velocity for hand built wheels, or BiCorp for some cheap imports.