Cyclocross VS MTB or Road (more specific than it looks)

xbertmx

Apr 10, 2006
I'm sure a version of this question has been asked many, many times before, but any quick input anyone had would really help me out.

I've been a MTB-only rider for about 5 years, love trail riding, always thought road biker guys were missing out. However, having decided that I'd like to give triathlons a go, I'm wondering what to do about bikes. To make things easy, say I was trying to choose between a Specialized Epic (fast XC, apparently hardtail-like climbing, etc), a Specialized Tricross (their Cyclocross bike), and a Specialized Transition (their triathlon bike). I'm looking at a fair number of other options, but specialized had the whole range so I thought that would make the easiest comparision.

So essentially what it all boils down to is how much of a difference there really is between these bikes. Whether you have any thoughts in terms of average mph difference, or maybe say X% faster/heavier/slower... Having spent almost no time on cyclocross or road bikes, I really have no idea as to the performance difference. And say there really is a huge difference between a fast XC bike and cyclo/road bikes, is there much of a difference between cyclocross bikes and road bikes performance wise? Does the different seating position and slick tires outweigh the advantages of having a more all-season/(all-terrain?) bike?

Alright well thats enough rambling for now, but if anyone has any ideas that would really help me out alot. Obviously I'm starting from square one here.

Thanks alot.

I hope you are over 18.

I liken cycling to sex.

MTB, like having sex own your own, can be a bit rough.

Road Bike, like having sex on a bear skin rug in front of a warm fire with a beautiful woman.

Cyclocross Bike, still like having sex own your own, but she is ugly and still saying NO! Too frustrating.

Yes there is a diffference, stay with what does the job the best. If you are considering Triathlons then a tri bike is the go, they have the best geometry for runners.

Tri Bikes and sex, well, that's another story. :rolleyes:

If you're in the market for a new bike, do it right. Either a dedicated tri bike or a roadie with aero bars depending on how much recreational road riding you plan on doing. There are too many variables to try to quantify performance differences. Go out and ride some bikes.

xbertmx said:
I'm sure a version of this question has been asked many, many times before, but any quick input anyone had would really help me out.

I've been a MTB-only rider for about 5 years, love trail riding, always thought road biker guys were missing out. However, having decided that I'd like to give triathlons a go, I'm wondering what to do about bikes. To make things easy, say I was trying to choose between a Specialized Epic (fast XC, apparently hardtail-like climbing, etc), a Specialized Tricross (their Cyclocross bike), and a Specialized Transition (their triathlon bike). I'm looking at a fair number of other options, but specialized had the whole range so I thought that would make the easiest comparision.

So essentially what it all boils down to is how much of a difference there really is between these bikes. Whether you have any thoughts in terms of average mph difference, or maybe say X% faster/heavier/slower... Having spent almost no time on cyclocross or road bikes, I really have no idea as to the performance difference. And say there really is a huge difference between a fast XC bike and cyclo/road bikes, is there much of a difference between cyclocross bikes and road bikes performance wise? Does the different seating position and slick tires outweigh the advantages of having a more all-season/(all-terrain?) bike?

Alright well thats enough rambling for now, but if anyone has any ideas that would really help me out alot. Obviously I'm starting from square one here.

Thanks alot.
It is all about application.

I'll attempt to explain why you need to buy a road bike.
Even though I do not like this necessity and do not like to consider it so, it just happens to be true.

You will need to buy a road bike if you are shopping the U.S. market.
Here in the U.S. it is about product differentiation, thus often enforcing that you will need a specific bike for a specific application because our products are designed without multi-use capacity in order to increase sales.

The rims, for example:
Generally, if you use exactly the same tires on the two different style rims involved in your question, then two unpleasant things will happen.
1) The momentum difference of the heavier weight cyclocross rims will make a speed mismatch that requires you to frequently pedal harder and frequently use the brakes to avoid rear-ending other cyclists or too-wide cornering from the gyro effects. At the least, it will always accelerate more slowly.
2) The slightly wider rims will mash out and widen the contact of roadie race tires, thus slowing them down; however the same size (still very small) modest-treaded touring tires can partially compensate this problem by lifting some of the sticky rubber up off the road. This makes yet another problem of speed mismatch, and even though you may likely go the same speed in a different way, there is no guarantee of it. In each case where you fail to find effective compensation, you will be purchasing everything that seperates your cyclocross from a road bike.

The gears:
Unless your cyclocross has the gearing of a real road bike, you will be at disadvantage on the downhill and you may discover the worst view in cycling as progressively wider and wider butts pass you as they go up the hill in front of you. This happens about 1/2 of the way up the hill or as soon as the momentum from your heavy rims runs out of advantage.

The cyclocross frame should be good enough for group rides and tours, but not acceptable for competition. While you are already trained for this size frame, and it will be the fastest option at first. . .you will miss out on road race bike training, thus causing another unpredictable difference in speed.

I hope I have illustrated that it is unlikely, but not impossible, for a cyclocross to do road bike duty.

One more thing:
Bikes within the same product line have very little difference in speed as long as the majority of factors are similar. 30 speeds is not one bit faster than 24 as long as the range is the same, shifting speed is the same, and derailer drag (chain drag) factor is the same. In the highest price ranges when everything else has been compromised in trade for speed, safety is also compromised for speed. You must do this for competitive sport, but you should consider avoiding this concept if the application is enjoyment of group rides.

So, not only do you need to purchase a road bike, it needs to match the application of its particular "trail" as precisely as possible for best results.

Having decided on a ride that is already designed for speed, now it is a simple matter to add to it a bit of comfort or a bit more traction (different tire class, I'm NOT recommending a wider tire for this application, but that different tires within the same size can provide or enhance wanted features--example, race in the rain or gravel on T-serv 28) or a bit more comfortable seat (if slightly wider happens to fit, it is okay to do it), and somewhat higher handlebars (either purchase a tall bike or a taller stem, like Delta, on a shorter bike).
**This is because you will easily be able to tell if any modifications have a speed cost, and simply undo the modification.

If you did not have a made-for-speed bike to start with, then features vs performance becomes extremely complex to very near the point of impossible.
I did drop a few clues on how to do it, but I would not recommend it unless you are entertained by engineering challenges.

So, go road bike shopping.