Cyclocross XO1 or 1500?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by hangulmalmotayo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. hangulmalmotayo

hangulmalmotayo New Member

Is there a big difference between the Trek XO 1 and the 1500? If I get the XO 1 would I be losing a lot of speed? Also, does the bike feel similar when it's ridden? Alright thanks.

Tags:

2. meehs

meehs New Member

I ride an X01 for commuting, and just about everything else other than long, fast road rides and long offroad rides. There's definitely a difference between the X01 and the 1500 (which is a road bike).

The X01 has more frame and fork clearance so you can put larger tires on it (tires are the single biggest factor in detemining where you can and can't go on a bike IMO). That and the fact that it's got V-Brakes instead of side-pulls makes it easier to fit with fenders if one so desires. And the X01 probably has shorter gearing and a bit heavier (and therefore more durable) frame.

You won't really give-up that much speed to a road bike on the X01 (assuming you're running skinny tires) but on long rides on the pavement a road bike is faster. There is a difference in feel between a cross bike and a road bike. It's hard (for me anyway) to describe. The cross bike is higher (higher bottom bracket) and shorter (shorter top tube) while the road bike is lower and longer. So I guess the road bike is more "stable" and "aero" while the cross bike is more "maneuverable" and "upright". That's the best I can do in describing the difference.

If you're looking for one bike to do everything on, I would lean towards the X01. If all of your riding is on smooth pavement and you plan on doing club rides or anything like that, the 1500 would be the better choice. I recommend getting one of each! :D

3. Lectron

Lectron New Member

I copy that :D

4. ahimsa

ahimsa New Member

Looking over all my choices for road bikes when I was buying one, I opted for the Lemond Poprad (a 'cross bike). In the end, the this-bike-will-go-where-I-take-it factor won out over all other concerns.

The downside is the cyclocross crankset though. It is smaller and results in a lower top speed. But it climbs nice and now that the buzz word is "compact crank" I can feel like I'm ahead of the curve.