CycloCross...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Lawrence Reis, May 12, 2003.

  1. Hi all

    I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
    Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
    same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
    thoughts...

    Tags:

  2. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, lawrence reis wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
    > Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
    > same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
    > thoughts...

    I would try to get a CDale without the Headshok, but with disc brakes. Barring that, go with the
    Redline. I've seen it in action, and it's a fairly good deal.

    However, it's my opinion that steel bikes make better 'Cross bikes. The rattle off of the terrain is
    brutal, and steel seems to vibrate a little less when in rattling terrain (whether by bike design or
    by virtue of the metal itself, I don't know). A steel frame can be modified later to have disc tabs
    on it (which I'm doing with my steel Brodie Romax this year) if you want to, and know a good frame
    builder in the area. I recommend discs only if you're around my size - 6'3" and touching on 90kg
    (200lbs). If you're smaller, take whatever brakes you have on the bike you get and sell them to buy
    Spooky 'Cross brakes.

    BTW, it's not really Cyclocross if you've got a suspension. If you want to race suspended, bring a
    mountain bike. :)

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  3. >Hi all

    >I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
    >Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
    >same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
    >thoughts...

    Don't buy the cannondale - they're built by monkeys. Don't buy the Trek, they ripped off the name
    from Bridgestone. Redlines are pretty nice. Consider the Lemond Poprad (steel, barcons, named after
    a guy who won the TDF after almost dying in a hunting accident) even though it's really just a
    rebadged Trek. I think Bianchi has a pretty well equipped stock CX bike in that price range.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew Thorne

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Check out Waterford bikes too. www.waterfordbikes.com.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  5. lawrence reis wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
    >Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
    >same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
    >thoughts...

    I had a Redline Conquest Pro until quite recently.

    At the risk of offending Pete, here are a few pics:

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/cyclocross.html

    It was an OK bike. As others have stated, the aluminum frame rides fairly harsh. I made a lot of
    changes to the stock spec, a few too many of which were neccesary.

    Thw wheels were pretty soft. For off pavement use, I put on a set of the Ritchey CX wheels. The
    Salsa Bell Lap bar, is, IMO almost a necessity, the extra control offered by the width and flare is
    quite nice.

    In the end it came down to ride comfort though. I'm currently scheming on a Soma or Vanilla.

  6. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Check out Waterford bikes too. www.waterfordbikes.com.

    Soulcraft "Groundskeeper" cyclocross: www.soulcraftbikes.com

    The Groundskeeper is a podium magnet. I've seen Matt from Soulcraft do some insane stuff on his
    Groundskeeper - things I wouldn't do on a mountain bike. Give Matt a call and he'll hook you up.

    FWIW: The Soulcraft Option 3 hardtail frame was MTBR's People's Choice Award Winner for 2002. I've
    ridden an Option 3 (one of the Soulcraft team bikes), and it was sweet indeed.

    -Barry

  7. Ohioburg

    Ohioburg Guest

    Gunnar Cross Hairs is also made by Waterford, I believe, for a little less dough.

    'Cross bikes are pretty versatile. Look for other little niceties like braze-ons for water bottles
    and racks (obviously not used for racing but nice for other uses).

    Rick Ohio

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Check out Waterford bikes too. www.waterfordbikes.com.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    >

    > "lawrence reis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
    > > Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1
    (new),
    > > or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the same price range. The
    > problem
    > > is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any thoughts...

  8. >>>or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the same price range.

    The redline is a pretty decent 'Cross bike. If I hadn'd have Mark make me a custome Ti job I would a
    got the RedLine

    Now Disc brakes on a 'Cross bike that just ROCKS!
    http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg

  9. "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The redline is a pretty decent 'Cross bike. If I hadn'd have Mark make me a custome Ti job I would
    > a got the RedLine
    >
    > Now Disc brakes on a 'Cross bike that just ROCKS!
    > http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg

    That's your cross bike? That frame design doesn't leave much room for shouldering a bike, does it?

    Rick Ohio

  10. Richard Arnoldy wrote:

    >>The redline is a pretty decent 'Cross bike. If I hadn'd have Mark make me a custome Ti job I would
    >>a got the RedLine
    >>
    >>Now Disc brakes on a 'Cross bike that just ROCKS!
    >>http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg
    >>

    > That's your cross bike?

    Aye.

    >That frame design doesn't leave much room for shouldering a bike, does it?

    It just looks that way because of the funky rake of the top tube. But, actually it does leave plenty
    of room for shouldering even with both water bottles in place.