CycloCross...

Lawrence Reis

Guest
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
thoughts...

In article <crYva.820156$3D1.464315@sccrnsc01>, lawrence reis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
> Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
> same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
> thoughts...

I would try to get a CDale without the Headshok, but with disc brakes. Barring that, go with the
Redline. I've seen it in action, and it's a fairly good deal.

However, it's my opinion that steel bikes make better 'Cross bikes. The rattle off of the terrain is
brutal, and steel seems to vibrate a little less when in rattling terrain (whether by bike design or
by virtue of the metal itself, I don't know). A steel frame can be modified later to have disc tabs
on it (which I'm doing with my steel Brodie Romax this year) if you want to, and know a good frame
builder in the area. I recommend discs only if you're around my size - 6'3" and touching on 90kg
(200lbs). If you're smaller, take whatever brakes you have on the bike you get and sell them to buy
Spooky 'Cross brakes.

BTW, it's not really Cyclocross if you've got a suspension. If you want to race suspended, bring a
mountain bike. :)

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

>Hi all
>
>I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
>Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
>same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
>thoughts...

Don't buy the cannondale - they're built by monkeys. Don't buy the Trek, they ripped off the name
from Bridgestone. Redlines are pretty nice. Consider the Lemond Poprad (steel, barcons, named after
a guy who won the TDF after almost dying in a hunting accident) even though it's really just a
rebadged Trek. I think Bianchi has a pretty well equipped stock CX bike in that price range.

Cheers,

-Andrew Thorne

Check out Waterford bikes too. www.waterfordbikes.com.

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

lawrence reis wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
>Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1 (new), or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the
>same price range. The problem is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any
>thoughts...

I had a Redline Conquest Pro until quite recently.

At the risk of offending Pete, here are a few pics:

http://www.anthonysloan.com/cyclocross.html

It was an OK bike. As others have stated, the aluminum frame rides fairly harsh. I made a lot of
changes to the stock spec, a few too many of which were neccesary.

Thw wheels were pretty soft. For off pavement use, I put on a set of the Ritchey CX wheels. The
Salsa Bell Lap bar, is, IMO almost a necessity, the extra control offered by the width and flare is
quite nice.

In the end it came down to ride comfort though. I'm currently scheming on a Soma or Vanilla.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Check out Waterford bikes too. www.waterfordbikes.com.

Soulcraft "Groundskeeper" cyclocross: www.soulcraftbikes.com

The Groundskeeper is a podium magnet. I've seen Matt from Soulcraft do some insane stuff on his
Groundskeeper - things I wouldn't do on a mountain bike. Give Matt a call and he'll hook you up.

FWIW: The Soulcraft Option 3 hardtail frame was MTBR's People's Choice Award Winner for 2002. I've
ridden an Option 3 (one of the Soulcraft team bikes), and it was sweet indeed.

-Barry

Gunnar Cross Hairs is also made by Waterford, I believe, for a little less dough.

'Cross bikes are pretty versatile. Look for other little niceties like braze-ons for water bottles
and racks (obviously not used for racing but nice for other uses).

Rick Ohio

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Check out Waterford bikes too. www.waterfordbikes.com.
>
> --
> - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
>

> "lawrence reis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:crYva.820156$3D1.464315@sccrnsc01...
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm looking to buy a CycloCross bike but need some help. I'm debating between buying a 1999
> > Cannondale XS800 w/headshock (used), Trek XO1
(new),
> > or a Redline Conquest (new). All are in the same price range. The
> problem
> > is I don't know enough about these bikes to make a decision. Any thoughts...

> The redline is a pretty decent 'Cross bike. If I hadn'd have Mark make me a custome Ti job I would
> a got the RedLine
>
> Now Disc brakes on a 'Cross bike that just ROCKS!
> http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg

That's your cross bike? That frame design doesn't leave much room for shouldering a bike, does it?

Rick Ohio

Richard Arnoldy wrote:

>>The redline is a pretty decent 'Cross bike. If I hadn'd have Mark make me a custome Ti job I would
>>a got the RedLine
>>
>>Now Disc brakes on a 'Cross bike that just ROCKS!
>>http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg
>>

> That's your cross bike?

Aye.

>That frame design doesn't leave much room for shouldering a bike, does it?

It just looks that way because of the funky rake of the top tube. But, actually it does leave plenty
of room for shouldering even with both water bottles in place.