Cyclocross

Just got a cross bike (Kona- Jake the Snake) a few weeks ago. I joined the team out of the bike shop that I worked at over the summer and we're gonna race a season. I've been on a few training rides with them and this sport is AWESOME! It's just so much fun. It's a different kind of fun than road, but the atmosphere is so great and relaxed, and it's a huge challenge. My first race is this sunday and I cant wait. Anyone else doing it?

-Dave

Oh, and it's unbelievable how much it improves your handling abilities- I've gone on about 4 rides and I can already feel a difference!

I've been thinking of turning my steel frame roadie into a cyclocross bike. Road riding/racing is still more fun to me.:D

I was thinking about turning my MTB to cyclocross bike, but it will cost too much and I don`t know if it`s possible! If we will have cyclocross races over the winter, I will already buy one! But we don`t have them anymore for plenty of years now! It will be great training over the winter because running is boring and it`s too cold to go on road..

Virenque said:
I was thinking about turning my MTB to cyclocross bike, but it will cost too much and I don`t know if it`s possible! If we will have cyclocross races over the winter, I will already buy one! But we don`t have them anymore for plenty of years now! It will be great training over the winter because running is boring and it`s too cold to go on road..

An MTB is already almost a cyclocross bike and running is not boring.:D

good luck

Yes, almost! But there is still the difference between crosscountry and cyclocross! I don`t like MTB, but riding on macadam and paths with almost road bike must be great!

racer dave said:
Oh, and it's unbelievable how much it improves your handling abilities- I've gone on about 4 rides and I can already feel a difference!
That is why I would like to try it, not necessarily to actually compete in cross but to improve handling. I was wondering your thoughts if offroad MTB riding improves handling to the extent cross riding would. I would think cyclocross riding would help more, as the bike set-up is "similar" to the road bike with the drop bars, etc. while MTB is just so different.
Thanks, Steve

li0scc0 said:
I was wondering your thoughts if offroad MTB riding improves handling to the extent cross riding would. I would think cyclocross riding would help more, as the bike set-up is "similar" to the road bike with the drop bars, etc. while MTB is just so different.
Thanks, Steve
I'd say for sure. Anything technical (relative to road) like cross or xc will definitely help the handling skills. I'm no expert, but I don't think it should make too much of a difference if you're using a mtb and not a cross bike. Yes, the position and handlebars might be similar to a road bike, but in the end, you're tuning the same skills that you'll be able to translate onto the road, no matter what you're riding in the dirt.

Dave

This is my first season of Cyclocross. I have done two cross races.

The first race, was extremely hilly. With two sets of barriers, and a set of logs to ride over. I took 2/15 on that race. I was in the lead, and as I went to ride over the logs, my front tire got caught in the logs, and I went ass over! The rest of the race I was all by myself.

The other race, was yesterday. I didn't do too well. I had terrible nutrition the day before, and had heartburn during the entire race. It was a very flat course.

Cross definitely helps your handling skills. Not only that, but the way you view racing. You become so much more alert of everything going on around you.

They make great training races!

Cross is great! It improves your bike handling abilites alot, as much as mountain biking, though in different ways. And the tactics are always interesting. My first cross race of the year was this weekend, and I won! shocked myself. Led from the gun and ended up winning by about 45 seconds. Congrat's Dice on your good results. Cross is so much fun!:)

guys could you use a mtb in cyclocross or what should you change on you roadbike. before you can cyclocross with it

NegrosP said:
guys could you use a mtb in cyclocross or what should you change on you roadbike. before you can cyclocross with it
I don't know where you live, but in Iowa, for Cross Races, there is a seperate category for Mountain Bikes. The Categories here are Cat 1-5 races, Mountain Bike, Single Speed, Junior, Women, Masters...

NegrosP said:
You can use a MTB for cross, I just might put some skinny tires on. Depends on your road bike. If it's not super super delicate, and you don't live in an area with super muddy courses, just through some cross tires on.

just announced a cyclo series at a local park near me so i'm going to give it a try. can anyone suggest a good cyclo bike (don't want to spend over $2500 USD). i've heard from some roadies that cyclo helped with their bike handling skills.

thoughts?

Congrat's on getting into cross. It is great training, a lot of fun, and does improve handling skills. As for bikes, I'll go on the low end of $2500 (anything at the upper end will be good)

Surley Cross-Check: A good deal, about 800 I think? Not the lightest, but indestructible.

Kona Jake the Snake: Great deal, good spec. Not sure on price.

Any of the Redline Cross bikes are awesome deals, just pick which one suits your price range.

I bought a 2004 Kona Jake the snake, and it retails at $1449. It's a great bike for a good price, and I highly recommend it. Good luck with the racing, and enjoy yourself!