Cyclocross!

hangulmalmotayo

Mar 8, 2005
What are some good cyclocross bikes? I'm looking into the XO1. Also, is there a big speed differential in riding a cyclocross vs. a road bike? Alright, thanks.
Josh

hangulmalmotayo said:
What are some good cyclocross bikes? I'm looking into the XO1. Also, is there a big speed differential in riding a cyclocross vs. a road bike? Alright, thanks.
Josh

There are lots of choices, it depends on economics and the kind of riding you really plan on doing. If money was not the issue, I might go for something by Ridley.

I assume you mean on the road and assuming you put road tires on instead of cross, their would still be a speed differential. But again, alot of this depends on the user. At the end of the day, it is the capenter not the tools.

I would second the ridley recommendation - not many people know more about cross than the belgians.

I would suspect a good cross bike will not ride noticably different than a middle of the road - road bike but will be significantly slower than a high end road bike. I ride/race a wilier alpe d'huez road bike and race a wilier alpe d'huez cross bike (and use it for winter training) and am quite a bit slower on the cross bike. Also, you'll be slower climbing on a cross bike due to the steeper geometry.

I've owned and raced a redline, fort, surly, and wilier. I liked the fort, but it was heavy. I did well on the redline when it made it to the finish, but ended up getting rid of it due to constant mechanical problems. I also bent the fork on it. The wilier is far and away the best cross bike of the four.

As with most bikes, you get what you pay for. The catch 22 of a cross bike is that you don't want to pay too much because it will get trashed, but want to get a nice enough one to last.

hangulmalmotayo said:
Josh
There's not a tremendous difference--ie, nothing that'll dog you too much in casual riding--but if you're trying to beat your best time on that last century, the 'cross bike will cause some problems. The most obvious difference is the fatty tires, which, of course, can be easily traded for slicks if you're thinking of doing a significant road ride. Other than that, as the others have pointed out, you're dealing with a more upright cockpit that'll make your aero position less aero, and will throw off your well-honed climbing skills. 'Cross bikes are also typically heavier than comparable road bikes.

For commuting, training, or actual 'cross racing, though, they're tough, versatile warrior rigs.

Ridley is cool. The Empella Bonfire is a nice choice; it's tough, a good value (cheap almost), and common on the race circuit. Kona's Jake the Snake is sort of a classic; it's inexpensive and burly. A lot of boutique shops make awesome 'cross bikes as well--depending on your budget, check out Sycip, Steelman, and IF.

I'm using a 2003 Fondriest, it is amazing...tough as you can get and quite good performance on road with nice tires.

For a lower price you can get a Kona, it seems like they make nice bikes.

Long life to 'cross!