Cyclocross - ??

Ronanmk

Apr 28, 2005
I have to admit, I've never been to a cyclocross race, just seen a few on TV, but....could someone please explain why cyclocross is still alive and well so many years after we have mountain bikes?

What's so good about riding a cyclocross bike (whose DNA is 95% road bike) over terrain that clearly is better suited for a mountain bike?

I just dont get it....

Well, the cross races out by me are mostly grass and dirt. They aren't real messy and definitely do not need a mtn bike.

It requires unbelieveable levels of ability and fitness.

Is spectacular to watch.

And has a heck of a history.

It does not get much better than this. :)

I, for one, cannot understand all the fascination with mtb-ing...

rudycyclist said:
They aren't real messy...
Rudy, I take it you didn't watch much of Sven Nys/Bart Wellens fighting it out in Europe this winter? Mud. Mud. And more mud.

Our two local series ran the gamut from dry to very muddy to wet snow/mud.

Ronanmk said:
I have to admit, I've never been to a cyclocross race, just seen a few on TV, but....could someone please explain why cyclocross is still alive and well so many years after we have mountain bikes?

What's so good about riding a cyclocross bike (whose DNA is 95% road bike) over terrain that clearly is better suited for a mountain bike?

I just dont get it....
In Holland and Belgium cyclo cross is massive. The belgians go drink beer and watch the racing, its cool. Some of the courses are v muddy but is more about shortish laps at high speed. They fly! Sven Nys is going to try and race the mountain bike race at the next olympics so thatll be an interesting comparison. Cyclocross racing has been going for years so why would it stop because of mtbing, they would go slower over the same course on an mtb. Its for most pros good winter training and afterall they change bikes every lap, its not really comparible. Horses (or carbon fibre monocoque frames) for courses. U wouldnt use a cyclocross bike on a down hill course.