Cyclometer help !

ieandro

Aug 19, 2006
I recently purchased the Cateye Strada and it's installed on a Trek 1000.

I'm not all that great in electronics or anything, but one thing confuses me about the way this or any other computer works.

Does the computer automatically sense the position of the sensor? I mean obviously the closer the sensor is to the hub the faster it will make one revolution than it would if it was mounted closer to the rim itself.

Will my readings be off or will the computer know just by the size i have entered during the setup what my actual speed will be ?

Each computer is different. But the correct wheel size programmed in, along with following the instructions in your manual where to place the sensor and magnet, should give you a fairly accurate reading.

ieandro said:
I recently purchased the Cateye Strada and it's installed on a Trek 1000.

I'm not all that great in electronics or anything, but one thing confuses me about the way this or any other computer works.

Does the computer automatically sense the position of the sensor? I mean obviously the closer the sensor is to the hub the faster it will make one revolution than it would if it was mounted closer to the rim itself.

Will my readings be off or will the computer know just by the size i have entered during the setup what my actual speed will be ?

carbonguru said:
Each computer is different. But the correct wheel size programmed in, along with following the instructions in your manual where to place the sensor and magnet, should give you a fairly accurate reading.
I followed the instructions. It's just that theres nothing in it that tells me how far up or down on the fork it should be mounted. I guess what i'm asking is .. is there a difference in readout if you're sensor is mounted higher or lower on the fork ? it's a 700 x 25c tyre just for kicks.

ieandro said:
I followed the instructions. It's just that theres nothing in it that tells me how far up or down on the fork it should be mounted. I guess what i'm asking is .. is there a difference in readout if you're sensor is mounted higher or lower on the fork ? it's a 700 x 25c tyre just for kicks.
The sensor just counts wheel rotations, so it does not really matter where on the fork it is mounted, as long as it gets the signal each time the wheel turns (and doesn't get stuck in the spokes!). The important thing is that you have the right wheel size, as this allows the computer to turn wheel rotations into distance.

SteveWoll said:
The sensor just counts wheel rotations, so it does not really matter where on the fork it is mounted, as long as it gets the signal each time the wheel turns (and doesn't get stuck in the spokes!). The important thing is that you have the right wheel size, as this allows the computer to turn wheel rotations into distance.
okay i think i got it .. the computer has set size and then just counts the rotations .. thanks !!