Cyclometers & presbyopia

"foldedpath" wrote: That's a great "thinking outside the box" idea, but I
think I would need two mirrors to keep the numbers the right way
around(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree that this idea has great originality, and I would like to carry it
one step further, before I shoot it down. If you already have a rear view
mirror on your bike, helmet or glasses, you could make this the first of the
two mirrors in the sequence. Now, the fatal flaw: a mirror gives you a
very limited angle of view--two mirrors in sequence would require your head
to be in an exact position and angle to even see the cyclometer face.
Difficult to do while riding. It would be like trying to read through TWO
knotholes. BTW, your monicker, "Foldedpath" seems to be relevant to this
idea :)

The fresnel lens idea seems most practical to me. The idea of affixing a
temporary plastic bifocal element also seems very do-able. I ride with
trifocals and have no difficulty at all.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "foldedpath" wrote: That's a great "thinking outside the box" idea,
> but I think I would need two mirrors to keep the numbers the right
> way around(clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I agree that this idea has great originality, and I would like to
> carry it one step further, before I shoot it down. If you already
> have a rear view mirror on your bike, helmet or glasses, you could
> make this the first of the two mirrors in the sequence.
>
> Now, the
> fatal flaw: a mirror gives you a very limited angle of view--two
> mirrors in sequence would require your head to be in an exact position
> and angle to even see the cyclometer face. Difficult to do while
> riding. It would be like trying to read through TWO knotholes.

Yeah, this rules out the attractive idea of co-opting a road mirror you're
already using.

It's tempting to use the triangle arrangement of the frame as a way to
mount the cyclometer and two mirrors, if you could work it in around the
bottle mounts, and not interfere with your legs when pedaling. Did someone
say "Rube Goldberg?"

> BTW,
> your monicker, "Foldedpath" seems to be relevant to this idea :)

Oh yes. That handle started in an amateur astronomy newsgroup. I like big
amateur Newtonian (folded light path) telescopes. :) If you want to
research wacky multiple mirror setups, telescopes are where most of the
wacky ideas have been tried.

> The fresnel lens idea seems most practical to me. The idea of
> affixing a temporary plastic bifocal element also seems very do-able.
> I ride with trifocals and have no difficulty at all.

Eventually I'll probably be forced to solve this at the eyeball end of
things, with prescription sunglasses or contacts. But I'm going to try a
few of these other ideas first. The fresnel idea sounds good. Not looking
at the computer until the end of the ride, also has some appeal.

--
Mike Barrs

foldedpath wrote:

> BTW, thanks to everyone who jumped in with suggestions. There are a lot of
> good ideas here, and I'll probably end up trying most of them. At some
> point I may even try bifocal contact lenses, but I'm really trying to avoid
> that.

Another probably silly idea: Take the mount from a helmet mirror, remove
the mirror and add the lens from reading glasses. To see the computer,
twist your head so the lens is between the computer and your eye.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:34:45 -0400, David Johnson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>foldedpath wrote:
>

>> BTW, thanks to everyone who jumped in with suggestions. There are a lot of
>> good ideas here, and I'll probably end up trying most of them. At some
>> point I may even try bifocal contact lenses, but I'm really trying to avoid
>> that.

>Another probably silly idea: Take the mount from a helmet mirror, remove
>the mirror and add the lens from reading glasses. To see the computer,
>twist your head so the lens is between the computer and your eye.

Hi, for the OP, take a look at this, I think it was discussed, but not
located.
http://www.velotique.com/Eyewear Ryders.htm#NeoOptix 20/20 Stick-on Lens

Those are Canadian $ prices. If you try a set, let us know, how they
work out.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Jeff Starr <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:34:45 -0400, David Johnson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>foldedpath wrote:
>>

>>> BTW, thanks to everyone who jumped in with suggestions. There
>>> are a lot of good ideas here, and I'll probably end up trying
>>> most of them. At some point I may even try bifocal contact
>>> lenses, but I'm really trying to avoid that.

>>Another probably silly idea: Take the mount from a helmet mirror,
>>remove the mirror and add the lens from reading glasses. To see
>>the computer, twist your head so the lens is between the computer
>>and your eye.

> Hi, for the OP, take a look at this, I think it was discussed, but
> not located.
> http://www.velotique.com/Eyewear Ryders.htm#NeoOptix 20/20 St
> ick-on%20Lens
>
> Those are Canadian $ prices. If you try a set, let us know, how
> they work out.
>
> Life is Good!
> Jeff

I use them on my normal sunglasses and they work fine plus you can
cut them down if your riding glasses are smaller.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:40:11 GMT, Mike Latondresse
<mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote:

>Jeff Starr <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:34:45 -0400, David Johnson
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Another probably silly idea: Take the mount from a helmet mirror,
>>>remove the mirror and add the lens from reading glasses. To see
>>>the computer, twist your head so the lens is between the computer
>>>and your eye.

>> Hi, for the OP, take a look at this, I think it was discussed, but
>> not located.
>> http://www.velotique.com/Eyewear Ryders.htm#NeoOptix 20/20 St
>> ick-on%20Lens
>>
>> Those are Canadian $ prices. If you try a set, let us know, how
>> they work out.
>>
>> Life is Good!
>> Jeff
>>

>I use them on my normal sunglasses and they work fine plus you can
>cut them down if your riding glasses are smaller.

Dear Mike and Jeff,

These stick-on reading-glasses are just the thing for a
friend of mine--I couldn't find them at the REI sites.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote in news:k8r8f0ha7eiafmcakneplfpljg1ebf6br5@
4ax.com: