cyclometers

lesliegee

Aug 22, 2003
Am purchasing a custom bike (titanium Seven), and haven't figured out what kind of computer to put on it. I'd like to put on a wireless. I wonder if anyone out there is using one that can be downloaded to a PC - and how that works for them. Have seen some that include HRM - and also wonder if anyone has tried these - and input.

Originally posted by lesliegee
Am purchasing a custom bike (titanium Seven), and haven't figured out what kind of computer to put on it. I'd like to put on a wireless. I wonder if anyone out there is using one that can be downloaded to a PC - and how that works for them. Have seen some that include HRM - and also wonder if anyone has tried these - and input.

Polar and Ciclosport have models with PC interfaces. Probably Sigma too. I just got a Ciclosport HAC4+ and am very happy with it. Pricey though.

BTW, isn't too cold to cycle in Michigan?:p

Good luck

go basic. the last one i bought was a cateye mity 8 and i got no complaints. it has everything you need and nothing you dont (heart monitor and cadence and wireless-extra battery to go dead etc). its only 20 bucks. and it even fits os bars.

Originally posted by cycleboy
Polar and Ciclosport have models with PC interfaces. Probably Sigma too. I just got a Ciclosport HAC4+ and am very happy with it. Pricey though.

Good luck

Yes - not cycling outdoors at the moment. Am downhill skiing and spinning indoors. Hope that the new bike is ready when we get a thaw :)

I just got me the CatEye Astrale 8 (w/ cadence) for $ 27.00 S&H included, a real bargain!
Works like a charm.
Corsaire

I would go on the "cheap" the first year and see what functions I used and those I would like to have. Cateye, good suggestion.

Good luck

For what it's worth, I was checking out the manual for the Ciclosport earlier this week - If it's the same model, it seems it would be equally ideal for Snow Skiers ;) Doesn't it have some sort of Altimeter and a Ski mode as well?

Yes - not cycling outdoors at the moment. Am downhill skiing and spinning indoors. Hope that the new bike is ready when we get a thaw :)

hey what part of michigan are you from... i live in west michigan... michigan winter really blows... just got my trainer though :)... a thaw looks like its on its way:)... as for the computers i'm also in the market... the cateye astrale looks real nice and they have a sweet deal on it at performancebike.com... as for hrm i would recommend getting a seperate watch device or something... most of the integrated cyclocomputers ive seen always slack on features.

Originally posted by cbarest
For what it's worth, I was checking out the manual for the Ciclosport earlier this week - If it's the same model, it seems it would be equally ideal for Snow Skiers ;) Doesn't it have some sort of Altimeter and a Ski mode as well?

Yes it has a Ski/Snowboard Function. It uses elevation changes, incline and time to compute speed. Would be great for off-season cross training while x-skiing.

Originally posted by t0mm0r
hey what part of michigan are you from... i live in west michigan... michigan winter really blows... just got my trainer though :)... a thaw looks like its on its way:)... as for the computers i'm also in the market... the cateye astrale looks real nice and they have a sweet deal on it at performancebike.com... as for hrm i would recommend getting a seperate watch device or something... most of the integrated cyclocomputers ive seen always slack on features.

I live just south of Grand Haven. And actually I enjoy skiing enough that I don't mind the winters. We've actually had enough snow here to do cross country as well as down hill.

Yes it has a Ski/Snowboard Function. It uses elevation changes, incline and time to compute speed. Would be great for off-season cross training while x-skiing.

And might be fun to see my speed going downhill. The runs in Michigan are pretty short, but am going to Vail in a month. Unfortunately, my cross country abilities aren't quite as honed as my downhill, and I don't think that I want to know that speed at this point.

Where do you guys ski? I used to go to Caberfae and occasionally to Boyne Mtn.

I ski Mammoth Mtn. now. Big difference.

Seriously, though, you should do some cross-country skiing in place of your trainer. Better for aerobic endurance not to mention the view.

Go for the new Mavic wireless. The magnet receiver part is integrated into the front skewer, so you don't have this ugly magnet receiver thing tied down to one of your fork blades.

Yes the Mavic would be nice, if you could find one in stock not to mention the $100.00 price tag... I picked up a Cat Eye 7 wireless for $26.00 plus shipping off E-bay. ;)

For a good solid basic cyclocomputer, have a look at the Sigma BC1200 (1600 if you want cadence.) They have a wireless option, and can be mounted on the stem, freeing up handlebar space for lights etc.

As for data logging HRM/cyclocomputer things, there have been a few earlier threads on this .. the two main ones about (Polar S710/720 and Ciclosport HAC4) each have their own unique quirks and benefits.

If you want a two-in-one but don't need data logging and PC download you could try the Polar S510/520 (like the 710/720 but with a uselessly small amount of log memory) or S150. Other brands (Cateye, Ciclosport, Vetta, etc.) also make a few models like this too. You might even consider getting a separate basic cyclocomputer and HRM watch, so you can use the monitor for other exercises too.

I

I am in Farmington Hills and got out on the road every day this week except today (Saturday the 21st) due to the snow and 30 mile an hour winds. I use a Shimano FlightDeck, I had my LBS install it when I got my new bike and it works flawlessly. I Have a Polar 720i that I used prior with my other bike and was unimpressed but was able to download the information to their software (again unimpressed, very basic and you need to use a PC, where I much prefer a Mac). To do this I did need a BRAND NEW laptop AND the Polar interface (even though the laptop had an IR port. The 720 is a great heart monitor but as I said I was unimpressed by the Cyclometer functions. If you are in Michigan there is a wonderful dealer in Plymouth that carries all of the Polar Monitors and Accessories and at Super Prices and allows local pickups (they are primarily mail order), if you want to know about them you can back channel me as I do not know if it is correct to say put their name in a post (I am not affiliated in any way, just a very satisfied customer)

I just want to back up what zerokoo0l has already said. I have Flight Decks on both of my road bikes and think they're great. One of the best features is being able to operate the unit without taking your hands off the brake hoods. Cadence is calculated so you'll get a virtual cadence reading even if you stop pedaling for a moment but on the up side, you don't need a second sensor. Just the magnet on the front wheel and the sensors hidden inside the brake hoods and you're set. If you're not familiar with the concept, the little bumps on your brake hoods are for the buttons that operate the unit. I recommend having someone with experience install it since there is a bit more to it than installing many other cyclometers.

Should you decide to give the Flight Deck a try, be prepared to quickly become spoiled by having your current gear selection sitting right on the display in front of you.

:)

Where do you guys ski? I used to go to Caberfae and occasionally to Boyne Mtn.

I ski Mammoth Mtn. now. Big difference.

Seriously, though, you should do some cross-country skiing in place of your trainer. Better for aerobic endurance not to mention the view.

Just spent the weekend at Boyne Highlands on Saturday and Boyne Mountain on Sunday. Usually ski at Crystal - have a season pass. Am going to Vail over spring break. Just started cross country skiing after a hiatus of MANY years. and yes, and really good aerobic workout. I usually go to the gym though, and do a variety or workout routines. Am working in more weight lifting for core strength.

and thanks everyone for all the info on cyclometers. Still haven't made up my mind. Want one with cadence for sure. Not sure if I want to get one with HRM, or just keep using a separate one.