Cyclone Disk Brake on a VanDessel Super Fly

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Russ, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Last month I got back into bicycling for the first time in a long time
    - I bought myself a Van Dessel Super Fly on Ebay and have been very happy with it. There is just one
    little issue that I had to figure out, which I haven't seen any info or posts about. My Super Fly
    came with a Cyclone front disk brake (instead of the Avid which is normally used) and of all the
    documentation and literature that accompanied the bike, the Cyclone disk brake setup was the only
    part of the bike that lacked any such information.

    I got the brake installed and adjusted to where it seemed to work OK but for a while it drove me
    nuts with either squeaking or setting up a harmonic in the front fork as I rode. The problem turned
    out to be that the caliper apparently wasn't centered properly on the rotor, so one of the pads was
    constantly riding on the rotor. I might add that even with the adjustment loosened up a bit the
    front brake continued to have a slight drag on the wheel - holding the front wheel off the ground
    and spinning it, it would not make a full turn before stopping.

    Okay, there was no documentation and I could find no info. Last night as I was giving the bike its
    30-day tuneup, I decided to see what I could do with the front brake. The settings aren't obvious
    but the key to centering the Cyclone disk brake caliper is the upper allen-head bolt which has a
    slotted screw in the center. The allen head bolt is loosened, which then makes it possible to turn
    the screw in the center. Turning the screw makes the actual adjustment of the caliper relative to
    the rotor; you can see it move. By turning the screw and test-spinning the front wheel, it's
    possible to determine when the caliper is not making either pad drag on the rotor. Once this is
    adjusted, the allen bolt can be retightened to hold the setting made by the smaller screw. It should
    not take much to get it snug, so it will not seriously affect the adjustment that was just made with
    the slotted screw.

    Having made this adjustment on my Super Fly, the front wheel now spins completely drag-free and
    is silent as I ride. I adjusted the cable a bit as well and the front brake has plenty of power
    for my needs.

    Since it seems nobody has anything on this Cyclone disk brake in the newsgroups or on the 'net in
    general, perhaps this will help someone else who has one of these. I could have used this info
    myself! Even if you don't have a Cyclone brake, it's pretty clear to me that if your bike has any
    sort of mechanical disk brake and it's adjusted properly, it won't squeak or make the fork 'ring'
    as you ride.

    -R-

    >Last month I got back into bicycling for the first time in a long time
    >- I bought myself a Van Dessel Super Fly on Ebay and have been very happy with it. There is just
    > one little issue that I had to figure out, which I haven't seen any info or posts about. My Super
    > Fly came with a Cyclone front disk brake (instead of the Avid which is normally used) and of all
    > the documentation and literature that accompanied the bike, the Cyclone disk brake setup was the
    > only part of the bike that lacked any such information.

    Nice bike. I have one of these too. The cyclone was originally the brake that came on these bikes
    and then they upgraded. I got mine at a swap meet for a great price. Mine came with the cyclone
    brake installed, but the seller threw in the avid brake as part of the deal.

    >I got the brake installed and adjusted to where it seemed to work OK but for a while it drove me
    >nuts with either squeaking or setting up a harmonic in the front fork as I rode. The problem turned
    >out to be that the caliper apparently wasn't centered properly on the rotor, so one of the pads was
    >constantly riding on the rotor. I might add that even with the adjustment loosened up a bit the
    >front brake continued to have a slight drag on the wheel - holding the front wheel off the ground
    >and spinning it, it would not make a full turn before stopping.

    Sure sounds like your brake caliper is not set up properly.

    >Okay, there was no documentation and I could find no info. Last night as I was giving the bike its
    >30-day tuneup, I decided to see what I could do with the front brake. The settings aren't obvious
    >but the key to centering the Cyclone disk brake caliper is the upper allen-head bolt which has a
    >slotted screw in the center. The allen head bolt is loosened, which then makes it possible to turn
    >the screw in the center. Turning the screw makes the actual adjustment of the caliper relative to
    >the rotor; you can see it move. By turning the screw and test-spinning the front wheel, it's
    >possible to determine when the caliper is not making either pad drag on the rotor. Once this is
    >adjusted, the allen bolt can be retightened to hold the setting made by the smaller screw. It
    >should not take much to get it snug, so it will not seriously affect the adjustment that was just
    >made with the slotted screw.

    Sound like you figured it out. The Avid procedure is different. On the avid brake you loosen both
    mounting bolts. You then use the pad adjustment knobs, there are two, to clamp the brake to the
    rotor. Once clamped tight, you tighten down the bolts. That centers the brake. You can then adjust
    the brake pade clearance with the knobs.

    >Having made this adjustment on my Super Fly, the front wheel now spins completely drag-free and is
    >silent as I ride. I adjusted the cable a bit as well and the front brake has plenty of power for
    >my needs.

    You may want to document this, maybe take some pictures, and put it up on a web site. Others might
    find it usefull to have this information.

    >Since it seems nobody has anything on this Cyclone disk brake in the newsgroups or on the 'net in
    >general, perhaps this will help someone else who has one of these. I could have used this info
    >myself! Even if you don't have a Cyclone brake, it's pretty clear to me that if your bike has any
    >sort of mechanical disk brake and it's adjusted properly, it won't squeak or make the fork 'ring'
    >as you ride.

    Funny thing is that my avid brake recently started to squeek, after about about a month of riding. I
    had to re-do the caliper adjustment to get it to stop making noise. It is working fine now.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >Last month I got back into bicycling for the first time in a long time
    > >- I bought myself a Van Dessel Super Fly on Ebay and have been very happy with it.

    Welcome to the Van Dessel Owners Club. I also have a Super Fly. (in Fly Yellow) Do you have
    strangers coming up to you asking where you got your bike? I do. Women especially love this bike.
    That's never a bad thing.

    > >There is just one little issue that I had to figure out, which I haven't seen any info or posts
    > >about. My Super Fly came with a Cyclone front disk brake (instead of the Avid which is normally
    > >used) and of all the documentation and literature that accompanied the bike, the Cyclone disk
    > >brake setup was the only part of the bike that lacked any such information.
    >
    > Nice bike. I have one of these too. The cyclone was originally the brake that came on these bikes
    > and then they upgraded. I got mine at a swap meet for a great price. Mine came with the cyclone
    > brake installed, but the seller threw in the avid brake as part of the deal.
    >
    > >I got the brake installed and adjusted to where it seemed to work OK but for a while it drove me
    > >nuts with either squeaking or setting up a harmonic in the front fork as I rode. The problem
    > >turned out to be that the caliper apparently wasn't centered properly on the rotor, so one of the
    > >pads was constantly riding on the rotor. I might add that even with the adjustment loosened up a
    > >bit the front brake continued to have a slight drag on the wheel - holding the front wheel off
    > >the ground and spinning it, it would not make a full turn before stopping.
    >
    > Sure sounds like your brake caliper is not set up properly.

    Yes, that's definitely the problem.

    > >Okay, there was no documentation and I could find no info. Last night as I was giving the bike
    > >its 30-day tuneup, I decided to see what I could do with the front brake. The settings aren't
    > >obvious but the key to centering the Cyclone disk brake caliper is the upper allen-head bolt
    > >which has a slotted screw in the center. The allen head bolt is loosened, which then makes it
    > >possible to turn the screw in the center. Turning the screw makes the actual adjustment of the
    > >caliper relative to the rotor; you can see it move. By turning the screw and test-spinning the
    > >front wheel, it's possible to determine when the caliper is not making either pad drag on the
    > >rotor. Once this is adjusted, the allen bolt can be retightened to hold the setting made by the
    > >smaller screw. It should not take much to get it snug, so it will not seriously affect the
    > >adjustment that was just made with the slotted screw.

    I must have failed to re-tighten the Allen bolt, because my original Cyclone caliper lost its
    centering adjuster screw on the road one day - SPROING! Gone forever. (Van Dessel promptly sent me a
    new one with zero hassle.)

    > Sound like you figured it out. The Avid procedure is different. On the
    avid
    > brake you loosen both mounting bolts. You then use the pad adjustment
    knobs,
    > there are two, to clamp the brake to the rotor. Once clamped tight, you tighten down the bolts.
    > That centers the brake. You can then adjust the
    brake
    > pade clearance with the knobs.

    The Avid brake is a superior design in every way. I see now why people rave about them. Adjustment
    is foolproof and requires no tools (except for setting caliper angle).

    > >Having made this adjustment on my Super Fly, the front wheel now spins completely drag-free and
    > >is silent as I ride. I adjusted the cable a bit as well and the front brake has plenty of power
    > >for my needs.

    Sounds like a winner.

    > You may want to document this, maybe take some pictures, and put it up on
    a web
    > site. Others might find it usefull to have this information.

    Van Dessel Sports was *very* helpful when my Cyclone disk caliper went "pffft". They had a
    replacement shipped to to me immediately. I was impressed.

    > >Since it seems nobody has anything on this Cyclone disk brake in the newsgroups or on the 'net in
    > >general, perhaps this will help someone else who has one of these. I could have used this info
    > >myself! Even if you don't have a Cyclone brake, it's pretty clear to me that if your bike has any
    > >sort of mechanical disk brake and it's adjusted properly, it won't squeak or make the fork 'ring'
    > >as you ride.

    > Funny thing is that my avid brake recently started to squeek, after about
    about
    > a month of riding. I had to re-do the caliper adjustment to get it to
    stop
    > making noise. It is working fine now.

    Well, mind did too. In fact, to date I've installed and run a total of 3 different brands and 4
    different disc brakes. Of those *all* have squeeked, squealed or vibrated at some point. A perfectly
    quiet disc brake is apparently not a guarantee, although mine seem to be getting more powerful and
    quieter as they "bed in" on the rotor. I had heard this was true, and it surely seems to be.

    Barry

  4. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Nice bike. I have one of these too. The cyclone was originally the brake that came on these bikes
    > and then they upgraded. I got mine at a swap meet for a great price. Mine came with the cyclone
    > brake installed, but the seller threw in the avid brake as part of the deal.

    Mine came from Ebay but actually I think Van D is selling off a few non-standard or scratch/dent
    bikes on Ebay. When I had a pinched tube flat (my own fault for not catching it during setup) I
    contacted the seller to get his thoughts on whether it had been a pinched tube, and he sent me a
    brand new tire and tube for my bike... and it came in a package from Van Dessel. Hmm.

    > >to have a slight drag on the wheel - holding the front wheel off the ground and spinning it, it
    > >would not make a full turn before stopping.
    >
    > Sure sounds like your brake caliper is not set up properly.

    Well, it wasn't set up properly, that's for sure.

    > Sound like you figured it out. The Avid procedure is different. On the avid brake you loosen both
    > mounting bolts. You then use the pad adjustment knobs, there are two, to clamp the brake to the
    > rotor. Once clamped tight, you tighten down the bolts. That centers the brake. You can then adjust
    > the brake pad clearance with the knobs.

    I've read that the AVID procedure is really simple - it sounds like it
    is. Actually for the Cyclone, it's simple too, if only one knows how to do it!

    > >Having made this adjustment on my Super Fly, the front wheel now spins completely drag-free and
    > >is silent as I ride. I adjusted the cable a bit as well and the front brake has plenty of power
    > >for my needs.
    >
    > You may want to document this, maybe take some pictures, and put it up on a web site. Others might
    > find it usefull to have this information.

    Could be a good idea to do that... I know I would have appreciated the info myself. Some kind soul
    put up a webpage explaining how to disassemble a Toshiba laptop and made it possible for me to do a
    repair, saving about $300.

    > Funny thing is that my avid brake recently started to squeek, after about about a month of riding.
    > I had to re-do the caliper adjustment to get it to stop making noise. It is working fine now.

    Hmm. Perhaps the adjustment was right 'on the edge' and just a bit of wear or slack got it to making
    noise. I know one thing, my SuperFly is now totally quiet and drag-free from the front wheel, and I
    am very happy about that!

    -R-

  5. Russ

    Russ Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Welcome to the Van Dessel Owners Club. I also have a Super Fly. (in Fly Yellow) Do you have
    > strangers coming up to you asking where you got your bike? I do. Women especially love this bike.
    > That's never a bad thing. Yes, that's definitely the problem.

    I'm glad to be a 'member' of the club. I like owning a nice bike that's not just like a jillion
    others, which is what you get with a major name brand. (Not that that's necessarily bad of course.)
    I believe your bike's color is officially 'Taxicab Yellow'. Mine is Hi-Altitude Blue. I've added an
    Echowell W1 wireless computer, a Planet Bike 3-LED headlight, a bell flashing taillight, and a
    Topeak QR aluminum rear carrier. Nobody's asked me about my bike yet, but I'm sure eventually they
    will. This is an awesome bike and mine is set up perfectly for my use - around town riding and
    running minor errands.

    > I must have failed to re-tighten the Allen bolt, because my original Cyclone caliper lost its
    > centering adjuster screw on the road one day - SPROING! Gone forever. (Van Dessel promptly sent me
    > a new one with zero hassle.)

    I've gotten the idea that they take care of their customers. I've been 'luckier' than you were and
    haven't lost any parts off my brakes.

    > The Avid brake is a superior design in every way. I see now why people rave about them. Adjustment
    > is foolproof and requires no tools (except for setting caliper angle).

    That's what I hear. But as long as I've been so lucky to not lose any parts, I get to keep my
    Cyclone brake unless I want to pay $55 incl shipping for an Avid. The Cyclone is working fine though
    so I'll keep it for now anyhow.

    > to date I've installed and run a total of 3 different brands and 4 different disc brakes. Of those
    > *all* have squeeked, squealed or vibrated at some point. A perfectly quiet disc brake is
    > apparently not a guarantee, although mine seem to be getting more powerful and quieter as they
    > "bed in" on the rotor. I had heard this was true, and it surely seems to be.

    It seems that having centered the caliper correctly on my Cyclone, the brake power of the front disk
    has markedly improved. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise though....!

    -R-