Cyclone Larry busts bikes

Much worse for cyclists, 80% of the national banana crop is destroyed
and fruit will be 'unobtainium' for 10 months or so. Back to muesli
bars! Watch the price of them and apples go up now, that the major
competitor is out of the market.

Donga

In article <[email protected]>,
"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Much worse for cyclists, 80% of the national banana crop is destroyed
> and fruit will be 'unobtainium' for 10 months or so. Back to muesli
> bars! Watch the price of them and apples go up now, that the major
> competitor is out of the market.
>
> Donga

Sadly, you are right.

In 1993 NSW grew 58,000 tonnes (about 25 per cent of the national crop -
234,703 tonnes) compared with Queensland 159,000 tonnes.

In 2005 this had slumped to just less than 8,000 tonnes while Qld crop
grew to 253,000 tonnes (out of total production of 264,500 tonnes).

Production in WA also slumped (16,500 tonnes to 3,500 tonnes) over the
same period.

Data sourced from
<http://www.abgc.org.au/pages/industry/bananaIndustry.asp>

It is a disaster of huge proportions.

Not as bad for sugar though.

regards,
Darryl

Donga wrote:
> Much worse for cyclists, 80% of the national banana crop is destroyed
> and fruit will be 'unobtainium' for 10 months or so. Back to muesli
> bars! Watch the price of them and apples go up now, that the major
> competitor is out of the market.

Well, as I said, it is an ill wind. Oh wait, does this mean that more
peeps will invest in banana carry cases to protect their expensive
bananas? Will BCC become frame bling?

Umm, why will apples increase?

Thank goodness I've transferred to carrotts.

Bear
>Umm, why will apples increase?

Bananas are one of the biggest selling snack foods. People will buy
other things for their lunchboxes. Alternatives with limited supply
will tend up in price.

As to whether BCC becomes frame bling, not likely for me. BCC is
Brisbane City Council. I will wear a BCC frame sticker when they put
reasonable effort into cycling!

Donga said:
Much worse for cyclists, 80% of the national banana crop is destroyed
and fruit will be 'unobtainium' for 10 months or so. Back to muesli
bars! Watch the price of them and apples go up now, that the major
competitor is out of the market.

Donga

Ouch, normal bananas were $5.99 and red tips and lady fingers were $6.99 at my local fruit shop today. The fruit and nut mix is looking very tasty.

Donga wrote:
> Bear
>
>>Umm, why will apples increase?

> Bananas are one of the biggest selling snack foods. People will buy
> other things for their lunchboxes. Alternatives with limited supply
> will tend up in price.
>
> As to whether BCC becomes frame bling, not likely for me. BCC is
> Brisbane City Council. I will wear a BCC frame sticker when they put
> reasonable effort into cycling!

Oh bugger, your lazy typing for one moment and look what happens.
BCC = banana carry case

(Hope I got the spelling of banana right this time. The teacher wasn't
looking over my shoulder. {:)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:51:54 +1100, SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ouch, normal bananas were $5.99 and red tips and lady fingers were
> $6.99 at my local fruit shop today. The fruit and nut mix is looking
> very tasty.

Lady Fingers always seem to be expensive, cyclone or no cyclone.

At Woolies at Round Corner (Sydney) on Thursday, bananas were still $2.99 a kilo, $3.99 at the fruit
shop.

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Donga wrote:
>> Bear
>>
>>>Umm, why will apples increase?

>> Bananas are one of the biggest selling snack foods. People will buy
>> other things for their lunchboxes. Alternatives with limited supply
>> will tend up in price.
>>
>> As to whether BCC becomes frame bling, not likely for me. BCC is
>> Brisbane City Council. I will wear a BCC frame sticker when they put
>> reasonable effort into cycling!

> Oh bugger, your lazy typing for one moment and look what happens.
> BCC = banana carry case
>
> (Hope I got the spelling of banana right this time. The teacher wasn't
> looking over my shoulder. {:)

The trick with spelling banana is not how to do it, but how to stop doing
it.