Cyclops Indoor Cycle Pro 300pt

mickthomas

May 29, 2006
Does anyone have any experience using the Cyclops Indoor Cycles which come with a powertap and would you recommend one ?

Is there much of a difference between Pro 300pt, Comp 200 and Sport 100 ?

mickthomas said:
Does anyone have any experience using the Cyclops Indoor Cycles which come with a powertap and would you recommend one ?

I just purchased a used 300PT and love it so far. I wanted power and find the momentum of a big fly wheel to be esemtial. I've had wind trainers, mag trainers, mag rollers, 1UpUSA trainers and a Computrainer.

I'm having a little trouble dialing in and maintaining a constant power.

- First thing I found was that the connectors for the adjustor and brake cables were interfering with each other. Probably from being shipped assembled. Once put in their proper place, no problem.

- Then I found I had to fit a towel over the fly wheel to keep sweat from dripping on it. One drop of water on the resistance brake area of the fly wheel and the resistance goes up significantly. This took care of 90% of my problems. This probably would not even show up for someone who does not sweat buckets like I do. I have this problem on Spin bikes also and have never heard anyone else complain.

I only investigated the 300 because it is the only one with power.

TF

Terry Ferguson said:
- Then I found I had to fit a towel over the fly wheel to keep sweat from dripping on it. One drop of water on the resistance brake area of the fly wheel and the resistance goes up significantly. This took care of 90% of my problems. This probably would not even show up for someone who does not sweat buckets like I do. I have this problem on Spin bikes also and have never heard anyone else complain.
One of the advances of the 300PT is that it has the flywheel in the rear. I do sweat a lot but I don't have problems with sweat dropping on the flywheel. It's drops on the handlebar, cpu, bidon etc.

mickthomas said:

The basic CycleOps unit are physically the same, obviously with different features, thus the high pricer for the PowerTap version.

We got ours last Christmas, and it has turned out to be the finest off-season training tool that I ever could have imagined. After using it for about 2.5 months, I was stronger than I've been in nearly a decade. Of course, the 300PT wasn't directly responsible, training with power on a fixed-gear setup during the 'off' season was.

I highly recommend it if you're sure you'll use it. If you aren't sure how much use you'll get out of it, there are many other cheaper options out there, though admittedly without power.

-J\V

J\V said:
If you aren't sure how much use you'll get out of it, there are many other cheaper options out there, though admittedly without power.
But there is a cheaper option with power: Buy a PowerTap system and a solid trainer like a Kurt Kinetic and...voilà, you now have an indoor trainer with power with the added benefit of an outdoor "trainer" with power! ;)

There seems to have been a recent software change so that these machines no longer support power and heart rate zone information for multiple users. You can apparently set zone information for a single user through the software, but the console menus for setting multiple user information has been removed. The computer software still supports multiple users for different activities, but you can't set different zones on the console for different users.

This seems like a significant loss of function to me. Can anyone confirm that the multiple user function existed and worked as intended in earlier versions?

I suppose a work-around could be to buy a second console for a second user...