Cyclops trainer

trekchic

Jul 26, 2003
I have seen ads in Bicycling mag for this trainer that the USPS team uses. Anyone know anything about it?

I am looking for a trainer for the winter months ahead. Any advice is appreciated.

Originally posted by trekchic
I have seen ads in Bicycling mag for this trainer that the USPS team uses. Anyone know anything about it?

I am looking for a trainer for the winter months ahead. Any advice is appreciated.

I would also be interested in anyones input on trainers. I am considering looking into one also. I will be riding outdoors as much as possible so I don't need anything elaborate. I'm particularly interested in peoples opinions on the differences between the fluid, magnetic and wind trainers besides the obvious being the price.

Matt

Originally posted by mfallon
I would also be interested in anyones input on trainers. I am considering looking into one also. I will be riding outdoors as much as possible so I don't need anything elaborate. I'm particularly interested in peoples opinions on the differences between the fluid, magnetic and wind trainers besides the obvious being the price.

Matt

I purchased a Cyclops fluid trainer (2nd hand) from the local bike shop, and find it great. Not much noise generated and gives a great workout. I keep a fan going beside me all the time. I use it twice a week as a top up to three rides. Not that the weather in Queensland (Aust) is a problem, just that it is nearly always dark and late when I get the chance. The trainer comes with a video that provides the interval training suggestions. Go for it.

Originally posted by richo
I purchased a Cyclops fluid trainer (2nd hand) from the local bike shop, and find it great. Not much noise generated and gives a great workout. I keep a fan going beside me all the time. I use it twice a week as a top up to three rides. Not that the weather in Queensland (Aust) is a problem, just that it is nearly always dark and late when I get the chance. The trainer comes with a video that provides the interval training suggestions. Go for it.

Which models are the best of the Cycleops? How much should I look at spending on one? I have seen them on ebay..... how much should they be used?

Originally posted by trekchic

I found the one that I use on the attached site. I paid $200 (Aust), but over here they are $650 brand new ($US450). Twice or three times a week is good I believe.
http://www.graberproducts.com/category
Happy cycling

Here in Austin Texas the weather isn't really a problem either. I plan on riding outdoors throughout the winter. We have about 2 months out of the year where it may get down to freezing. I have no trouble riding in the cold or riding in the rain however I don't care for freezing rain. I also figure a trainer may be useful for experimenting with fit, technique etc..

Now before any of you start laughing at me talking about cold here in Texas know that I have lived in Alaska, Colorada and New York and I am fully aware of what cold really is. I have admittantly been down here long enough to get "wimpified" though:)

Matt

Originally posted by mfallon
Here in Austin Texas the weather isn't really a problem either. I plan on riding outdoors throughout the winter. We have about 2 months out of the year where it may get down to freezing. I have no trouble riding in the cold or riding in the rain however I don't care for freezing rain. I also figure a trainer may be useful for experimenting with fit, technique etc..

Now before any of you start laughing at me talking about cold here in Texas know that I have lived in Alaska, Colorada and New York and I am fully aware of what cold really is. I have admittantly been down here long enough to get "wimpified" though:)

Matt

You've got to be kidding Matt. I've been top Austin Texas in August and call me a whimp if you like but I would be staying inside and enjoying the trainer.
Queensland winters usually start on Monday and go through till about Thursday!!!

You've got to be kidding Matt. I've been top Austin Texas in August and call me a whimp if you like but I would be staying inside and enjoying the trainer.
Queensland winters usually start on Monday and go through till about Thursday!!!

You must have been down here at a bad time. August is usually the hottest month of the summer. It's not unusual to be able to wear short sleeves in early December. It's still hot enough right now that I am trying to ride early in the morning. January and February it will get cold and wet and that would be when I would use the trainer (or late at night). I wouldn't call you wimp. It's just a matter of what you're accustomed to. There is no way I could handle the heat that you are used to.

Matt