Cygolite bike lights

chch_legend

Feb 13, 2005
I've recently purchased a Cygolite Nitro XM , 10 watt halogen bike light. Unfortunately I've had the battery charger stolen, so I need another one.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one?

Boostland said:
"chch_legend" wrote

> I've recently purchased a Cygolite Nitro XM , 10 watt halogen bike
> light. Unfortunately I've had the battery charger stolen, so I need
> another one.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get hold of one?

Tried http://www.jaycar.com.au ?

The original charger is a trickle charger, so it will charge about about 1/10 of the rated AH capacity. First step is to work out the battery voltage, which could be a nominal 6V or 12V. 6V is probably more likely for a bicycle light. Discharge current is 10W / 6V = 1.67A. Run time is 2.75hours, so battery is probably 4.5AH. That would required a charger with an output current of about 450mA.

Jaycar does not seem to have a suitable NiCd/NiMH charger from my quick browse of their chargers. You could do it with a 9V 500mA plugpack connected through a series resistor (6.8ohm, 5W). You would need some ability to solder plugs and sockets.

I would have expected the light to have been stolen from the bike, rather than the charger stolen from home!

chch_legend said:
I've recently purchased a Cygolite Nitro XM , 10 watt halogen bike light. Unfortunately I've had the battery charger stolen, so I need another one.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one?
I would suggest contacting Cygolite (or the place you bough the lights) and getting the specifics of the charger (they may even be able to sell you one, but a generic one will do the same job as well as you can get the right connector attached): http://www.cygolite.com/1-CygoLite/Contactus.htm

Once you know the output of the charger in mA you should be able to get a suitable charger from Jaycar, DSE or other home electronics stores. When I moved back from the USA I brought a NiteRider light with battery etc with me. I found a 230/240V charger with similar output (actually it has adjustable output - 4 or 5 different settings) to the NiteRider one and just spliced the plug onto the output wire of the charger. Ghostgum knows way more than me about these things, so I guess Jaycar doesn't stock them at the moment.

Get a proper smart charger that won't damage batteries. NiMH cells don't
cope as well with C/10 dumb chargers as Nicad. I bought a Maha C777 charger
about six months ago, and it's worked wel with everything from single 1.2v
cells to 12v battery packs. It uses both delta V and temperature sensing to
determine when full charge is reached, and charges both Nimh/Nicad and
Lithium Ion cells. http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c777plus.htm.

Nick

"chch_legend" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>
> I've recently purchased a Cygolite Nitro XM , 10 watt halogen bike
> light. Unfortunately I've had the battery charger stolen, so I need
> another one.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get hold of one?

On 2006-10-27, ghostgum (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> Boostland Wrote:
>> "chch_legend" wrote
>>
>> > I've recently purchased a Cygolite Nitro XM , 10 watt halogen bike
>> > light. Unfortunately I've had the battery charger stolen, so I need
>> > another one.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know where I can get hold of one?

> I would have expected the light to have been stolen from the bike,
> rather than the charger stolen from home!

Which is why I'm just a little bit suspicious, if you know what I
mean.

--
TimC
"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-- Greg LeMond on bicycle riding/racing

TimC said:
Which is why I'm just a little bit suspicious, if you know what I
mean.

--
TimC
"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-- Greg LeMond on bicycle riding/racing
Thats a fair enough comment, probably should have explained the situation further.

Charger was in a bag that was stolen when my car was broken into while I was doing the Dirt Crits at Westgate Park, on Thursday 19 October. I was using the light at the time the bag was stolen, hence the reason I have the light and not the charger.

But with daylight saving kicking in finally, I have about 5 months to get a new charger.

Spoke with Jaycar yesterday and they can sell me the parts to put a charger together, was asking the question to see if there was an easier solution.