Cytek Bikes - Massimo???

nitrous

Oct 25, 2004
Anyone got any reports about Cytek bikes. Columbus Airplane with Columbus Muscle Carbon Seat and chain Stays, Full Ultegra, Ritchey WCS wheelset.

Looks a good bike, I can probably get for about $2500 (edit - Aus dollars) from Ashburton Cycles. So, on price, it looks amazing. Where else can you get a full Ultegra, Carbon rear, columbus frame for less than $3000?

More info here - http://www.cytekbicycles.com/bike4.htm

I'm pretty interested - any first hand reports/information on quality/ride would be appreciated.

Cheers

nitrous said:
^^^^^BuMp^^^^^

I got a 2003 Massimo - Zonal tubeset, carbon seat stays, carbon fork. Swapped the WCS wheelset for a handbuilt set (DT Swiss hubs, 32 DT Swiss spokes, Ritchey OCS rims) as I am a big rider. I replaced the saddle with a lightweight carbon/leather/Ti item from Performance in the US. Even with the lightweight (ie bugger all padding) saddle it is a sweet ride.

Steve A

SteveA said:
I got a 2003 Massimo - Zonal tubeset, carbon seat stays, carbon fork. Swapped the WCS wheelset for a handbuilt set (DT Swiss hubs, 32 DT Swiss spokes, Ritchey OCS rims) as I am a big rider. I replaced the saddle with a lightweight carbon/leather/Ti item from Performance in the US. Even with the lightweight (ie bugger all padding) saddle it is a sweet ride.

Steve A
Sweet - thanks for the reply SteveA.

So you reccomend it? How is the quality - durability of the frame? You say you are big - i'm 90kg. Worried that the lightweight alloy will not be strong enough. I'm considering getting a second hand carbon frame for the same sort of price.

Approx how many km's have you done on the Cytek?

Cheers
Nitrous

nitrous said:
Sweet - thanks for the reply SteveA.

So you reccomend it? How is the quality - durability of the frame? You say you are big - i'm 90kg. Worried that the lightweight alloy will not be strong enough. I'm considering getting a second hand carbon frame for the same sort of price.

Approx how many km's have you done on the Cytek?

Cheers
Nitrous
History of the Massimo:

I'm in Perth. The bike was at Bike Barn in Sydney. $1995 before I swapped the wheels for the heavier hand builts. I also got them to change the stem to the correct length for me. Bars, cranks were the right size already. Put a 12-27 cluster on it too to help an old bugger like me up the hills. Lots of helpful discussion with Geoff Stoker over the phone.

The bike arrived in Perth but had a bent dropout on the carbon fork. Looked like it had been dropped. Got a replacement with no argument from Bill Abbott at Cytek. Added a carbon/leather Ti saddle, Ti skewers, carbon bottle cages, Ti/magnesium SPD(Road) pedals, all from Performance Bike in the US. Local LBS (Cyclerama) put a Shimano Flighdeck computer on it and re-wrapped the bars with Bar Phat gel tape.

Got it out on the road and it was sweet. Very comfy and it flew. When I said I was a big bloke, I am 105kg and 188cm tall. I am also not average in my proportions - my legs are shorter than average for my height and my torso is therefore longer. The bike was set up beautifully for me.

The 2003 model came with a Cytek branded aero carbon seatpost. It cracked and failed when I went over a bump!! :eek: Bill was great again. Replaced the post with the round carbon one from the 2004 model. All better again.:)

I don't generally use it as my commuter and I have been studying as well so the bike has only about 1,000km on it. It has held up very well to my weight and I am still very impressed with it. The tubeset on the 2003 model is Zonal while the 2004 model has Airplane. When I was making the decision whether to buy, I looked at the diference between the tubesets. You can download a copy of the Columbus tubing catalogue from http://www.hillbrick.com.au/

Overall, after the novel above, yes I would recommend the Massimo.:)

SteveA

SteveA,

Awesome reply, thanks you so much for the very informative and educated response!!

Good luck with your studies! :D
Cheers
Nitrous.

SteveA said:
The 2003 model came with a Cytek branded aero carbon seatpost. It cracked and failed when I went over a bump!! :

jesus!!!!! That's it; my carbon post has a tiny surface fracture on it, so
I'm ditching it.