Czech bike parts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
    Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
    utility bicycles.

    Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything when
    doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have is wrong.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. Gary Jacobson wrote:
    > I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
    > Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
    > utility bicycles.
    >
    > Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
    > when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have is wrong.

    Try "Favorit"

    Sheldon "Czechophile" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, | especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
    | http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Thanks http://www.favorit-rokycany.cz/

    > Gary Jacobson wrote:
    > > I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia
    that
    > > were popular in Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing
    > > them on Jawa
    utility
    > > bicycles.
    > >
    > > Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
    > > when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I
    have is
    > > wrong.
    >
    > Try "Favorit"
    >
    > Sheldon "Czechophile" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    > | I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, | especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
    > | http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
    > +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
    > Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
    utility
    > bicycles.
    >
    > Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
    > when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have
    is
    > wrong.

    You've almost got it right. "Favorit" produced a full range of racing bikes and equipment from
    entry-level through near-Campagnolo-quality forged aluminum components. They shipped with their
    related company's tires - Barum - which are now called Tufo. I've been told that Jawa motorcycles
    were also a related company but I don't know that for sure.

    A good example of the loss of diversity in the marketplace of late. The second-tier ( Zeus,
    Saavedra, REG-Rampanelli, Takagi, Nankai) is thinly populated now.

  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I like some of Favorit's product names: Harry Nicole Brigitte Brian...

  6. On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:42:16 +0000, Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Gary Jacobson wrote:
    >> I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
    >> Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
    >> utility bicycles.
    >>
    >> Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
    >> when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have is wrong.
    >
    > Try "Favorit"
    >
    > Sheldon "Czechophile" Brown

    Last time I was there (last year) I was told that Favorit was basically out of business. Certainly
    none of the bike shops I saw carried their stuff. They apparently missed the mountain bike wave a
    few years back.

    The "Trek" of the Czech market is Author - nicely made aluminum frames with mostly Shimano
    components, with frame geometry suited to the Czech riding experience (bad roads, ***lots*** of
    hills, great scenery). Many road bikes (even high end ones) come with front suspension. Lots of road
    riders use suspened mountain bikes with road slicks. I have a mid-range Author hybrid over there.
    Very nice bike for the price.

    BTW, if anyone wants a guide for a tour of the Czech Republic, I can be rented. I am bilingual
    and may be able provide accomodations for small groups. Contact me privately at yan <at>
    seiner.com ; include the magic cookie kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq in your email to get through
    my spam filters.

    -Dondo