Czech bike parts

Gary Jacobson

Guest
I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
utility bicycles.

Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything when
doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have is wrong.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Gary Jacobson wrote:
> I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
> Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
> utility bicycles.
>
> Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
> when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have is wrong.

Try "Favorit"

Sheldon "Czechophile" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
| I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, | especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
+--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

Thanks http://www.favorit-rokycany.cz/

> Gary Jacobson wrote:
> > I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia
that
> > were popular in Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing
> > them on Jawa
utility
> > bicycles.
> >
> > Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
> > when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I
have is
> > wrong.
>
> Try "Favorit"
>
> Sheldon "Czechophile" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
> | I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, | especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
> | http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
> +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
> Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
utility
> bicycles.
>
> Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
> when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have
is
> wrong.

You've almost got it right. "Favorit" produced a full range of racing bikes and equipment from
entry-level through near-Campagnolo-quality forged aluminum components. They shipped with their
related company's tires - Barum - which are now called Tufo. I've been told that Jawa motorcycles
were also a related company but I don't know that for sure.

A good example of the loss of diversity in the marketplace of late. The second-tier ( Zeus,
Saavedra, REG-Rampanelli, Takagi, Nankai) is thinly populated now.

I like some of Favorit's product names: Harry Nicole Brigitte Brian...

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:42:16 +0000, Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Gary Jacobson wrote:
>> I have a recollection of a brand of components made in Czechoslovakia that were popular in
>> Scandinavia in the 70's. The brand was "Favorate" or "Favorite". I recall seeing them on Jawa
>> utility bicycles.
>>
>> Did this manufacturer ever make middle to high end stuff? Still around? Couldn't find anything
>> when doing web searches. Maybe the spelling I have is wrong.
>
> Try "Favorit"
>
> Sheldon "Czechophile" Brown

Last time I was there (last year) I was told that Favorit was basically out of business. Certainly
none of the bike shops I saw carried their stuff. They apparently missed the mountain bike wave a
few years back.

The "Trek" of the Czech market is Author - nicely made aluminum frames with mostly Shimano
components, with frame geometry suited to the Czech riding experience (bad roads, ***lots*** of
hills, great scenery). Many road bikes (even high end ones) come with front suspension. Lots of road
riders use suspened mountain bikes with road slicks. I have a mid-range Author hybrid over there.
Very nice bike for the price.

BTW, if anyone wants a guide for a tour of the Czech Republic, I can be rented. I am bilingual
and may be able provide accomodations for small groups. Contact me privately at yan <at>
seiner.com ; include the magic cookie kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq in your email to get through
my spam filters.

-Dondo