D-A 8 -) 9 conversion kit

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Frenk At Frenk, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Hi everybody!
    I wish to convert the D/A 8 speed gruppo on a C-40 to 9 speed, with as
    less $$$ as possible. (A C-40 owner that wants a cheap upgrade??? No, it
    was not me who bought this piece of art! :) ...but actually it's me
    that ride it :))))) ).

    I came across this upgrade kit (->Ultegra) on performance
    bike: http://tinyurl.com/27mlm , for $280 seems to me like a
    good deal. It includes: brifters, rear der, cassette, chain.
    They also say a new inner chainring should be a good idea.

    The question: are the components included in the kit really
    enough? My current D/A 8 hub is compatible with the new
    cassette? And also, you can mix D/A and Ultegra rear ders
    and cassettes (all 9-sp.) as you want?

    I'm sorry if there are already thousands of answers to my
    question, links are welcome!

    TIA,

    Francesco

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Yes, it will work.
    Everything is compatible.
    You won't need to change the left brifter, but you may want to use the new cables and housings.
    If you don't already know of the fine illustrated information on Shedon Brown's site check:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

  3. frenk at frenk -do-t_ c0m -p wrote:
    > Hi everybody! I wish to convert the D/A 8 speed gruppo on
    > a C-40 to 9 speed, with as less $$$ as possible. (A C-40
    > owner that wants a cheap upgrade??? No, it was not me who
    > bought this piece of art! :) ...but actually it's me that
    > ride it :))))) ).
    >
    > I came across this upgrade kit (->Ultegra) on performance
    > bike: http://tinyurl.com/27mlm , for $280 seems to me
    > like a good deal. It includes: brifters, rear der,
    > cassette, chain.

    That does sound like a good deal.

    > They also say a new inner chainring should be a good idea.

    Nah, save your money.

    > The question: are the components included in the kit
    > really enough?

    Nope, you'll also need new handlebar tape. Make sure to get
    9-speed-compatible handlebar tape. ;-)

    > My current D/A 8 hub is compatible with the new cassette?

    As long as it's a _Hyperglide_ 8-speed, which most of them
    are. The Uniglide 8-speed was only made for one year, 1989.

    Also, don't select one of the cassettes that features an 11
    tooth sprocket.

    Anybody who owns any pre-9-speed Dura-Ace stuff should read
    my online article on Dura-Ace interchangeability:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

    > And also, you can mix D/A and Ultegra rear ders and
    > cassettes (all 9-sp.) as you want?

    Yes.

    Sheldon "Interchangeabilitude" Brown +------------------------------------
    +
    | Experience is a hard teacher, | because she gives the
    | test first, | the lesson after. -- Vernon Law |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West
    Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped
    Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. > Nope, you'll also need new handlebar tape. Make sure to
    > get 9-speed-compatible handlebar tape. ;-)

    This will be the hardest part :)

    > As long as it's a _Hyperglide_ 8-speed, which most of
    > them are. The Uniglide 8-speed was only made for one
    > year, 1989.

    Yes, it is HG

    > Also, don't select one of the cassettes that features an
    > 11 tooth sprocket.

    The 12-27 will be my choice. My actual cassette (13-15-17-19-21-23-26-
    28) was perfect for the hilly area I live in (Switzerland),
    a shame I can't find a 9sp cassette with that combination, i
    will miss the 23-26-28!

    Thanks a lot!

    Francesco

  5. frenkatfrenk-do-t_ c0m-p wrote:

    > The 12-27 will be my choice. My actual cassette (13-15-17-19-21-23-26-
    > 28) was perfect for the hilly area I live in
    > (Switzerland), a shame I can't find a 9sp cassette with
    > that combination, i will miss the 23-26-28!

    If you can live without the 12, you can convert the 12-27 to
    one of my "Century Specials" by removing the stock 12 and
    13, buying a new top-position 13 sprocket and a 30 to put on
    the other end. We sell these sprockets for $19.95 and $9.95
    respectively. This setup works with all modern derailers.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html

    Sheldon "Just Back From My First Ride On My New Rohloff Hub"
    Brown +--------------------------------------------+
    | Life is what happens to you, | while you're busy making
    | other plans. | --John Lennon |

  6. frenk at frenk -do-t_ c0m -p wrote:

    > Hi everybody! I wish to convert the D/A 8 speed gruppo on
    > a C-40 to 9 speed, with as less $$$ as possible. (A C-40
    > owner that wants a cheap upgrade??? No, it was not me who
    > bought this piece of art! :) ...but actually it's me that
    > ride it :))))) ).
    >
    > I came across this upgrade kit (->Ultegra) on performance
    > bike: http://tinyurl.com/27mlm , for $280 seems to me like
    > a good deal. It includes: brifters, rear der, cassette,
    > chain. They also say a new inner chainring should be a
    > good idea.

    If you're a real cheapskate, the 9 speed DA downtube levers
    are about $50!

  7. frenk-<< (->Ultegra) on performance bike:
    http://tinyurl.com/27mlm , for $280 seems to me like a good deal. >><BR><BR>

    How about Centaur levers and rear der. Ultegra 9s cogset
    and 105 level chain...less than $280..or a Veloce set,
    less still.

    All you need are a right lever, new rear der and 9s cogset
    and chain.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"