D/A over ultegra??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kaboom, Nov 24, 2003.

1. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member

I rode on ultegra for 5 years. just got the DA . dont know much about all the lingo jingo . I just like calling it Crispy.

I never any trouble with my ultegra. its a 99 setup. what, 5+ years old now?
    Its got a few quirks . I dont really take care of my equipment as good as you guys do but .... I ride it a lot and so far just a few times it acted up on me in the course of 5 years.

if you read between the lines...I think you would realize that it means the ultegra is pretty maintenance free. ((considering I do practically no maintenance at all on my poor bikee and can still keep up with the boys just fine)))
    I would say that is pretty good.

I been on dura ace now for . oh . two weeks.

so far I LOVE It. GOSH ITS SO PURTY!!!!!!!!!
    its sure. its powerful I am faster on it. <haha> and it is lighter. so.
    it is different but I think some of that might be just because it is new????

2. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

from what i hurd dura ace is the same stuff as ultegra but just lighter... i have even had many people reccomend ultegra or even 105 for durability. making stuff lighter cant be as durable... i spose if u want some flair (office space) go for dura ace... i got 04 ultegra and im happy with it. i mean get what ya like, just have fun with it ya know.

3. jslopez93

jslopez93 New Member

Went on test rides on today on a variety of bikes (specialized, trek's, cannondales) started on a 105 grupo, then ultegras then the last 3 were DAs. What I noticed most was you seemed to need to coax the shifting more on the ultegra. Not a whole lot mind you and maybe not enough for a guy like me to invest the $$$ on the DAs but you can definitely call the DAs superior.

I'll most likely be geting Ultegras on my upcoing bike as I'm blowing a ton of money on the frame and wheelset (Total cost of bike =$3500). I was told that the DA version could be had for about $700 which I may try to rationalize at some point but ultiamely I've gone way over my original bike budget already and I'm sure I'm getting more bike than I deserve hehe.

4. zinman61

zinman61 New Member

Where does the Shimano 600 fall within the quality rankings of DA, Ultegra and 105? Yes I still ride my 20 year old Cannondale criterion.

5. maxxevv

maxxevv New Member

The Shimano 600 evolved into the Shimano Ultegra 600 which has since dropped the '600' and is now known as the Ultegra ;)

6. BikeyGuy

BikeyGuy New Member

F.Y.I. on Ultegra.
    For 2005, Ultegra will be available in 10 speed.

7. Matt N

Matt N New Member

So much time and effort wasted on such a simple question: forget that fugly Japanese spacejunk and buy a real bike - Campagnolo rules!

Cheers

8. yayaya

yayaya New Member

Check out this pic with 05 Ultegra.

9. cannongirl

cannongirl New Member

I posed a similar question a while back because I'm looking for a new Bike...
    DA can add around $1500 to the cost over Ultegra...

You'd think for that kinda money DA would be MUCH better in every way wouldn't you?

The Guys on this Board were more than helpfull and helped me decide on Ultegra....

10. cannongirl

cannongirl New Member

wow!! an awesome bike, how much would this cost??