D. Hofstadter

G

George Paschos

"
[email protected] (George Paschos) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I don't understand the conspiracy here but I accept its humorous underside: don't know the names
> and what each represents and how you know that Wirt has replied and more.....
>
>> Wirt has already followed on the technicals. I just want to
nominate
>> the title of the thread for the annual Hofstadter award for best self- referential thread title
>> of the year :)

Wirt is Wirt Atmar, a frequent and very knowledgeable contributor to this newsgroup. Your newsreader
or ISP may have missed the follow-up he posted to your original thread - this happens frequently.
Unfortunately I deleted his reply, so I can't reprint it here. My recollection is that it included
several web sites for further information on your question, so you should see if you can track it
down via Google.

Douglas Hofstadter is the author of "Godel, Escher, Bach - the Eternal Golden Braid", which is
partly about Godel's incompleteness theorem, and includes much discussion of self-referential
statements and other paradoxes. If you have never read it I strongly recommend it. While I realize
it was unintended on your part, it struck me as paradoxical that time might not be "a priori".

Yours,

Bill Morse "

Yes I know this book. I read parts of it years ago. I found it dry. It's not fiction, it's not non-
fiction, it's a combination of the two. It's academic pretense trying to enter into the literary
world. At base it's academic lecturing under the disguise of literature(?). Why not take an AI book
and read its chapters to learn of all the techniques? There may be a few things that are new there
but it's just a pretentious book at the bottom of it.

> Yes I know this book. I read parts of it years ago. I found it dry. It's not fiction, it's not non-
> fiction, it's a combination of the two. It's academic pretense trying to enter into the literary
> world. At base it's academic lecturing under the disguise of literature(?). Why not take an AI
> book and read its chapters to learn of all the techniques? There may be a few things that are new
> there but it's just a pretentious book at the bottom of it.

Nah, its great!