D-lock around frame - no key!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Clogicrogerc, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Clogicrogerc

    Clogicrogerc Guest

    Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing bike?

    If you think this knowledge should not be shared in public, please feel free to mail me!

    I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off - this
    succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it was funny actually.

    Anyway, the lock remains on - any ideas? Its ancient and a bit rustly but quite robust - the bike
    was found abandoned on waste ground and stripped so I fixed some brakes on it, got new tyres and got
    it working (police were informed but weren't interested, probablycos of condition of bike). So far
    Ive been riding it around with the annoyance of the lock stuck to the frame between my knees but its
    getting annoying, especially as otherwise the bike is a joy to ride.

    Yours hopefully,

    RC

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing bike?

    I had this once. Managed to get a garage to cut it off with an angle grinder. This is too
    conspicuous to be of use to a thief.

    Luckily close to the garage, as was that this was in the hebrides, and they didn't charge. Better
    still I got a refund, as it was a fault on the lock.

  3. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing bike?
    >
    > If you think this knowledge should not be shared in public, please feel
    free to
    > mail me!
    >
    > I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off -
    > this succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it
    was
    > funny actually.
    >
    > Anyway, the lock remains on - any ideas? Its ancient and a bit rustly but
    quite
    > robust - the bike was found abandoned on waste ground and stripped so I
    fixed
    > some brakes on it, got new tyres and got it working (police were informed
    but
    > weren't interested, probablycos of condition of bike). So far Ive been
    riding
    > it around with the annoyance of the lock stuck to the frame between my
    knees
    > but its getting annoying, especially as otherwise the bike is a joy to
    ride.

    > Yours hopefully,
    >
    > RC
    ==========
    Try an angle grinder - very cheap at any DIY shop.

    Cic.

  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing bike?
    >
    > If you think this knowledge should not be shared in public, please feel
    free to
    > mail me!
    >
    > I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off -
    > this succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it
    was
    > funny actually.
    >
    > Anyway, the lock remains on - any ideas? Its ancient and a bit rustly but
    quite
    > robust - the bike was found abandoned on waste ground and stripped so I
    fixed
    > some brakes on it, got new tyres and got it working (police were informed
    but
    > weren't interested, probablycos of condition of bike). So far Ive been
    riding
    > it around with the annoyance of the lock stuck to the frame between my
    knees
    > but its getting annoying, especially as otherwise the bike is a joy to
    ride.

    > Yours hopefully,
    >
    > RC

    Car jack fitted within the "D" and crank away (with suitable eye protection).

  5. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing bike?
    >
    > If you think this knowledge should not be shared in public, please feel
    free to
    > mail me!
    >
    > I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off -
    > this succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it
    was
    > funny actually.
    >
    > Anyway, the lock remains on - any ideas? Its ancient and a bit rustly but
    quite
    > robust - the bike was found abandoned on waste ground and stripped so I
    fixed
    > some brakes on it, got new tyres and got it working (police were informed
    but
    > weren't interested, probablycos of condition of bike). So far Ive been
    riding
    > it around with the annoyance of the lock stuck to the frame between my
    knees
    > but its getting annoying, especially as otherwise the bike is a joy to
    ride.

    Get the firemen to use their cutting tools. They do sweet f.a. for most of the day anyway.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes

    >"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing
    >bike?
    >>
    >> I had this once. Managed to get a garage to cut it off with an angle grinder. This is too
    >> conspicuous to be of use to a thief.
    >

    >You jest! A few years ago, two friends went to the West end of London on their bikes, leaving them
    >"safely" anchored to a parking meter in Covent Graden. They came out of the theatre at about 11ish,
    >to find that somebody had lopped off the top of the parking meter with an ngle grinder, taking both
    >their bikes and all the cash in the meter.

    The dastards!
    --
    The Big Baguette

  7. Graham

    Graham Guest

    [email protected] (CLogicRogerC) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing bike?
    >
    > If you think this knowledge should not be shared in public, please feel free to mail me!
    >
    > I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off -
    > this succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it was funny actually.
    >
    > Anyway, the lock remains on - any ideas? Its ancient and a bit rustly but quite robust - the bike
    > was found abandoned on waste ground and stripped so I fixed some brakes on it, got new tyres and
    > got it working (police were informed but weren't interested, probablycos of condition of bike). So
    > far Ive been riding it around with the annoyance of the lock stuck to the frame between my knees
    > but its getting annoying, especially as otherwise the bike is a joy to ride.

    > Yours hopefully,
    >
    > RC

    Is the lock one of the types that have the keyway on the end of the bar. If so then it may be
    possible to fit a pipe or a crowbar over the sticking out bit where the lock is mounted and bend it,
    which may disable the lock mechanism.

    (If your wondering I had a bike stolen this way once I now only use D-locks which have the keyway on
    the bottom)

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 Jan 2003 10:23:30 GMT, [email protected] (CLogicRogerC) wrote:

    >I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off - this
    >succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it was funny actually.

    Use a pipe-freezing kit first, and a hammer and cold chisel. This "apparently" causes the hardened
    shackle to shatter. OTOH a Dremel is rumoured to work just as well.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Any ideas on how to remove a D-lock from round the frame of a racing
    bike?

    > I had this once. Managed to get a garage to cut it off with an angle grinder. This is too
    > conspicuous to be of use to a thief.

    You jest! A few years ago, two friends went to the West end of London on their bikes, leaving them
    "safely" anchored to a parking meter in Covent Graden. They came out of the theatre at about 11ish,
    to find that somebody had lopped off the top of the parking meter with an ngle grinder, taking both
    their bikes and all the cash in the meter.

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    W K wrote:
    > Managed to get a garage to cut it off with an angle grinder. This is too conspicuous to be of use
    > to a thief.

    So ideal for the bluffing thief then.

    ~PB

  11. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    My friend has this problem, he just drove round to his local fire station, and asked them to help,
    with a small donation to their local charity they cut it off and he was able to cycle home

    > On 19 Jan 2003 10:23:30 GMT, [email protected] (CLogicRogerC) wrote:
    >
    > >I was advised at a shop to get the lock in a vice and use a club hammer to knock the bar off -
    > >this succeeded in uprooting my bench vice!! Yes, it was funny actually.
    >
    > Use a pipe-freezing kit first, and a hammer and cold chisel. This "apparently" causes the hardened
    > shackle to shatter. OTOH a Dremel is rumoured to work just as well.
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:53:44 +0100, "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You jest! A few years ago, two friends went to the West end of London on their bikes, leaving them
    >"safely" anchored to a parking meter in Covent Graden. They came out of the theatre at about 11ish,
    >to find that somebody had lopped off the top of the parking meter with an ngle grinder, taking both
    >their bikes and all the cash in the meter.

    No surprise there - never lock a bike to anything less than 6ft tall unless it's a closed loop. And
    every bit of research ever done shows that you can be as conspicuous and brazen as you like when
    nicking a bike, and nobody will turn a hair. The best solution is always to lock your bike next to a
    nicer bike with a worse lock :-/

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "NIGEL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My friend has this problem, he just drove round to his local fire station, and asked them to help,
    > with a small donation to their local charity they cut it off and he was able to cycle home

    <snipped>
    ============
    I hope they asked him for some proof of ownership. A small donation to a local charity would be a
    small price to pay for a nice new (stolen) bike!

    Cic.

  14. > "NIGEL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My friend has this problem, he just drove round to his local fire station, and asked them to
    > > help, with a small donation to their local charity they cut it off and he was able to cycle home

    What about the car he left at the fire station? That would have been a rather large donation!

  15. "Cicero" <s?e?d*a?*@hellfire.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I hope they asked him for some proof of ownership......

    How do you prove you own a bike??

  16. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > "NIGEL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > My friend has this problem, he just drove round to his local fire station, and asked them to
    > > > help, with a small donation to their local charity they cut it off and he was able to cycle
    > > > home
    > > >

    > What about the car he left at the fire station? That would have been a rather large donation!

    ===========
    I doubt if he abandoned his car permanently at the fire station!

    Cic.

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:00:01 -0000, "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do you prove you own a bike??

    Easy - drive through a red traffic light on the wrong side of the road at night with no lights on.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Cicero" <s?e?d*a?*@hellfire.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I hope they asked him for some proof of ownership......
    >
    > How do you prove you own a bike??

    ===========
    Security marking with name and address is a good start.

    Cic.

  19. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Adrian Boliston, in news:[email protected] scribbled ;

    > "Cicero" <s?e?d*a?*@hellfire.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I hope they asked him for some proof of ownership......
    >
    > How do you prove you own a bike??

    Make a note of any frame / serial numbers on it. Also a note of any special colouring / dents in
    fact anything that may be 'unique' to that bike .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1342 wu in 9417 hours

  20. "Cicero" <s?e?d*a?*@hellfire.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > "NIGEL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    local

    > > What about the car he left at the fire station? That would have been a rather large donation!

    > I doubt if he abandoned his car permanently at the fire station!
    >
    > Cic.

    Sorry, I discounted the possibility that he may have towed his car back home behind his bike!