D-Phenylalanine & other aminos for anxiety/mood/pain

Galaxy919

Guest
I've been doing extensive reading on the difference between the two forms of phenylalanine...the D
and L versions (DPA and DLPA respectively), in an attempt to understand the reaction I seem to be
having to them.

Almost everything I have read seems to indicate that the D version does not convert into the
neurotransmitters...tyrosine, noreprinephrine, etc. Instead it inhibits enkephalin degradation.

I have problems with chronic inflammatory pain, anxiety, depression, and headaches. I have achieved
good results with 5-HTP on mood and anxiety, but am confused about my response to the DPA, DLPA.

I seemed to have a lot of anxiety on the DLPA as well as a good level of pain relief.

I switched to the D-version (DPA) thinking this should eliminate the part that could be
causing anxiety (possible too much norepinephrine?), but I seem to be getting a racing heart
while on the DPA.

I am trying to figure how the DPA could be causing this. I want to stay on it for pain relief and it
doesnt make sense to me why it would be causing racing heart.

On 1000mg per day of DPA, I get excellent pain relief, but also constipation and the racing heart. I
should mention that I am on a low-dose of Elavil (10-20mg per day), which works on serotonin and
noradrenergic pathways, I believe.

Any feedback about what might be going on would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

L-phenylaline uses the same metabolic pathways as L-tryptophan. This tends to block your
uptake of this serotonin producing aminos acid. Phenylaline is not recommended for people with
anxiety problems.

I would be very careful mixing these amino acids with medications of this sort. I did one day and
almost had to call an ambulance in a public place. Holy hot flashes batman! It was rough for about 1
hour. 5HTP and SSRI's were the problem. My you, I could never take the 5HTP. I have a drawer full of
the stuff. Makes my skin crawl.

Your problems sound exactly like mine. Changing my pH levels helps the infamations and pains
immensely. Magnesium every day helps me. I cannot take any form of calcium (tried about 10
kinds). It gives me massive muscle cramps. Sodium and patassium bicarbonate capsules at 10 and 4
each day helped me very much to reaise my pH levels. It was good but I stopped. It takes about
1-2 months to get an effect. Eat my vegetables and alkaline producing foods. Most meat produces
much acid response.

best of luck

"Galaxy919" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been doing extensive reading on the difference between the two forms of phenylalanine...the D
> and L versions (DPA and DLPA respectively), in an attempt to understand the reaction I seem to be
> having to them.
>
> Almost everything I have read seems to indicate that the D version does not convert into the
> neurotransmitters...tyrosine, noreprinephrine, etc. Instead it inhibits enkephalin degradation.
>
> I have problems with chronic inflammatory pain, anxiety, depression, and headaches. I have
> achieved good results with 5-HTP on mood and anxiety, but am confused about my response to the
> DPA, DLPA.
>
> I seemed to have a lot of anxiety on the DLPA as well as a good level of pain relief.
>
> I switched to the D-version (DPA) thinking this should eliminate the part that could be causing
> anxiety (possible too much norepinephrine?), but I seem to be getting a racing heart while on
> the DPA.
>
> I am trying to figure how the DPA could be causing this. I want to stay on it for pain relief and
> it doesnt make sense to me why it would be causing racing heart.
>
> On 1000mg per day of DPA, I get excellent pain relief, but also constipation and the racing heart.
> I should mention that I am on a low-dose of Elavil (10-20mg per day), which works on serotonin and
> noradrenergic pathways, I believe.
>
> Any feedback about what might be going on would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Depending on the biochemical basis of your anxiety, a tablespoon of inositol powder per day will
help restore serotonin sensitivity.

Also avoid caffeine and the other methyl xanthines.