D Tel: Health warning: cycling is bad for your sex life

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Newsbase4, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Newsbase4

    Newsbase4 Guest

    Hello rec.bicycles.misc,

    this document has been sent to you by [email protected] from the news.telegraph website. To view it,
    open up the following link in a web browser:

    http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/15/nsadd15.xml

    Depending on your email client, you may be able to click on the link in the client. Alternatively,
    you may have to open a web browser, such as Netscape or Internet Explorer, and copy the link over.

    By Duncan Abey (Filed: 15/06/2003)

    according to a study published today.

    The report by Belgian academics shows that male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer virility
    problems as other men, while female bicycle riders are more likely to experience increased
    health risks.

    Fashionable bicycle saddles with holes are shown to be of particular danger to women because they
    create excessive pressure in the genitals.

    The findings, published in the Bicycle Saddle Report 2003, are based on a study of 1,000 cyclists of
    whom 94 per cent said that they had experienced physical problems while cycling. Of these, 60 per
    cent said that the discomfort was felt in the genital area.

    The results will be of particular concern in Britain where 10 per cent of women and almost 20 per
    cent of men use a bicycle at least once a week. The report may also have economic implications.

    At least four per cent of British workers commute by bicycle each day. The research team, led by Dr
    Luc Baeyens, the head of gynaecology at University Hospital in Brussels, found that men who cycled
    were twice as likely to suffer erectile problems than non-cyclists.

    For women riders, genital swelling was found to be much more common than previously realised. The
    report, however, said that it was impossible to calculate the scale of the problem because women did
    not generally raise the issue because of embarrassment.

    The study also warns that a fashionable new saddle design sweeping across Europe from America is
    particularly harmful.

    Manufacturers claim that the saddles - which feature cut-out contours and holes
    - improves comfort but the report claims that they cause areas of hyper-pressure which can lead to
    genital problems. In women this causes chafing, swelling and spots on the skin, and also temporary
    numbness, while in men it can lead to inability to have or maintain an erection.

    Dr Baeyens said: "Women should not use a saddle with a hole because the cut-out does not allow for
    good lateral pressure."

    The research makes several recommendations, including that women buy only women's saddles,
    cyclists sit upright as often as possible and rise out of the saddle every 10 minutes by standing
    on the pedals.

    Chris Boardman, Britain's gold medal-winning Olympic cyclist who won the 4,000 metres at Barcelona
    in 1992, expressed scepticism at the report's findings and suggested that the authors had wasted
    their time.

    He said: "These sort of stories have been floating around for five or six years now, but there is no
    evidence of this sort of thing occurring." Boardman added that he had yet to meet a fellow
    professional affected by reduced virility. "Virtually all the cyclists I rode with have fathered
    children. I have only known a couple of people who have suffered from reduced virility and none of
    them were cyclists."

    Peter Rowell, the general secretary of the Cyclists' Touring Club in Cambridge, also described the
    report as "outrageous" and "pure scare-mongering". He said: "I've never heard of anyone with these
    problems. We have 70,000 members nationally and 946 here in Cambridgeshire. We are constantly coming
    under fire with these sort of things. The last one was the cycle helmets business, now it's saddles.

    "This sort of scare-mongering will drive people away from the sport, which is actually very good for
    your health and for the environment."

    He did, however, concede that modern plastic saddles were unsuitable for long distance rides. "If a
    cyclist experiences any discomfort, it is probably because they are riding for longish periods on
    plastic saddles, which are a bad thing because they make you sweat.

    "They should be using a leather saddle. I still use the old Brooke's B17. I've used them since the
    1950s and I have never had a problem. I go out and I do up to 70 miles in a day and I have two
    children."

    The report will also be of concern to parents. More than two per cent of secondary school children
    ride a bike to and from school each day.

    Despite the research, the popularity of bicycles in Britain is increasing with one in three Britons
    now owning one. A reason for the growth has been the opening in 2000 of the National Cycle Network,
    which provides more than 7,000 miles of cycle routes thoroughout Britain. Last year, 97.2 million
    trips were made on the network.

    ┬ęCopyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003. Terms & Conditions of reading.

    Tags:

  2. More people ride bicycles in China that any other country and with a population of 1.2 billion and
    rising, it doesn't appear to have made much of a dent in their performance levels.

    Steve McDonald

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:37:05 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:

    > More people ride bicycles in China that any other country and with a population of 1.2 billion
    > and rising, it doesn't appear to have made much of a dent in their performance levels.

    Quite. Expect any day now the announcement of the New Improved Anti-Impotence Saddle from the
    company who financed the research.

    I have also never met anyone who admits ot this problem (but to be fair who would) - most of the
    cyclists I know are parents or young and

    surely not be turning up to club rides every week. Maybe we are smart ones, though, because most of
    us seem to ride on leather saddles.

    Anyone who is genuinely concerned can of course join the Dark Side where saddle discomfort is but
    a memory...

    Guy
    ===

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Newsbase4 <[email protected]> wrote:

    More harm than good? Let's see, on one hand you can have fitness for life and on the other hand you
    can't make babies. What's the down side? :)

    Sounds like some researcher got a numb pecker and decided to punish the world with science to make
    up for his loss.

  5. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:37:05 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:

    > More people ride bicycles in China that any other country and with a population of 1.2 billion
    > and rising, it doesn't appear to have made much of a dent in their performance levels.
    >
    >Steve McDonald

    Blimey, think how big Chris Boardman's family would have been if he'd left his bike in the garage.
    (Currently five children).

  6. When I was a teenager, girls would call me up and invite me over to their homes when their parents
    were not home. I would ride my bike over, and suggest that we go for a bike ride together, rather
    than staying inside, which is what they suggested. In some cases I actually had to fix their bikes
    and inflate their tires in order to get them to ride with me, much to their dismay.

    At age 16 I got a new car, a mint condition early-70's muscle car, and another girl called me up to
    confess her interest in me and to invite me over to her house (again, no parents.) I jumped on the
    bike and pedaled over (across town) in record time. She was unimpressed.

    In college, rather than spending money on maintaining a car, I rode my bike everywhere. I didn't
    date much. I do think my love of bicycling prolonged my virginity.

    After graduate school I got married. My wife likes how I look in bike shorts. Just a month or so
    after my wife and I stopped trying NOT to have children, my wife became pregnant. My son Benjamin is
    now two months old and for Father's Day my wife got me a baby-size US Postal Service cycling jersey
    for him to wear as soon as he's big enough for a trailer.

    No complaints here.

    -Steve Goodridge http://humantransport.org

  7. Mriordan95

    Mriordan95 Guest

    In article <DYxHa.35992$A%[email protected]>, [email protected] (Paul
    Southworth) writes:

    >More harm than good? Let's see, on one hand you can have fitness for life and on the other hand you
    >can't make babies. What's the down side? :)

    Riding a bicycle = Fitness for life + cleaner environment + world over-population control.

    Sounds good to me

    After graduate school I got married. -------------- My son Benjamin is now two months old and
    for Father's Day my wife got me a baby-size US Postal Service cycling jersey for him to wear as
    soon as he's big enough for a trailer.

    No complaints here.

    Still no clue why she got a Postal Service jersey for the kid?

    Steve McDonald

  9. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Steven Goodridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > After graduate school I got married. My wife likes how I look in bike shorts.

    Much more importantly, since my wife bikes, I like the way she looks in bike

  10. On 15 Jun 2003 10:08:56 GMT, [email protected] (Newsbase4) wrote:

    >The report by Belgian academics shows that male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer virility
    >problems as other men, while female bicycle riders are more likely to experience increased
    >health risks.
    [...]
    >The results will be of particular concern in Britain where 10 per cent of women and almost 20 per
    >cent of men use a bicycle at least once a week. The report may also have economic implications.

    In the Netherlands, the ratios are probably well over 50% (wild guess). I haven't noticed us having
    any statistically significant problems reproducing. It's bullshit.

    [..]
    >Despite the research, the popularity of bicycles in Britain is increasing with one in three Britons
    >now owning one.

    For reference, in the Netherlands we have slightly more bikes than people, as a solid statistic.

    Jasper

  11. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >For reference, in the Netherlands we have slightly more bikes than people, as a solid statistic.

    See! The bikes are reproducing faster than the people!

    --
    mac the naïf

  12. In article <[email protected]c51.ops.asp.att.net>, "Peter Cole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steven Goodridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > After graduate school I got married. My wife likes how I look in bike shorts.
    >
    > Much more importantly, since my wife bikes, I like the way she looks in bike

    Cheer me on boys, my wife just bought a cycling jersey for herself because it was cheap and cute.
    All hail Sugoi for nice-looking riding jerseys!

    More frequent rides can't be far behind,

  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Has anyone recently any of the Adventure Cycling Routes?

    I'm planning to ride the Atlantic Route (Portsmouth, NH) to St. Augistine, FL in September. As a
    warm up to the TransAmerican or Northern Tier routes in the Spring. I'm having trouble decinding
    which is the best ride the Northern Tier or the Transamerican. I'm a 58 YO recumbent rider. I have a
    good bit of experience with multi-week self contained rides in New England, Quebec, Nova Scotia,
    Newfoundland, Labrador, Corsica, Sardinia, and Croatia.

    Thanks, alll comments will be appreciated.