DA 10 Crank noise

E

Eric Lambi

Hello rec.bicycles.tech:

Got a new DA10 crank installed on my bicycle with DA9 everything else. The thing I have noticed so
far is that, while in the largest sprocket on the rear cog and the small ring up front, I get quite
a bit of noise from a chain-line that is not extremely straight. Sounds exactly like the FD is
rubbing against the chain, but it most definitely is not. Same thing happens in the 3 largest cogs
if I'm in the big ring.

Is it possible that the mechanic who installed this did not get the crank quite as far in towards
the frame as possible? It wouldn't have to be much further at all to make this problem go away. Or
does the fact that it is installed and working mean that it was installed correctly?

Any experiences either way would be helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Lambi [email protected]

eric-<< Got a new DA10 crank installed on my bicycle with DA9 everything else. The thing I have
noticed so far is that, while in the largest sprocket on the rear cog and the small ring up front, I
get quite a bit of noise from a chain-line that is not extremely straight. >><BR><BR> << Is it
possible that the mechanic who installed this did not get the crank quite as far in towards the
frame as possible? It wouldn't have to be much further at all to make this problem go away.
>><BR><BR>

If the right side assembly is on, and the left side arm is on, it really can't be too far to the
right, or it would be loose.

The ring position seems a little farther out than DA 9s, but I think perhaps new rings and older
chain? perhaps.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Originally posted by Eric Lambi
Hello rec.bicycles.tech:

Got a new DA10 crank installed on my bicycle with DA9 everything else. The thing I have noticed so
far is that, while in the largest sprocket on the rear cog and the small ring up front, I get quite
a bit of noise from a chain-line that is not extremely straight. Sounds exactly like the FD is
rubbing against the chain, but it most definitely is not. Same thing happens in the 3 largest cogs
if I'm in the big ring.

Is it possible that the mechanic who installed this did not get the crank quite as far in towards
the frame as possible? It wouldn't have to be much further at all to make this problem go away. Or
does the fact that it is installed and working mean that it was installed correctly?

Any experiences either way would be helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Lambi [email protected]
DA10 Crank will do what you are describing when you mix it with DA9 components. I rode one that was in for transofrmation, at the same stage as your bicycle. It did the same thing you are describing, when cross chaining. When the transformation was completed to all DA10 it could be ridden silently, even with the big-big and small-small combinations.
Chain lines vary a little from bicycle to bicycle.
See what Shimano says in their FAQs regarding DA10/DA9 compatibility at URL:
http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/faq_s.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/oeag
It is hard to put the DA10 cranks on the DA10 Bottom Bracket in the wrong way.

> The ring position seems a little farther out than DA 9s, but I think perhaps new rings and older
> chain? perhaps.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

The chain is just a couple weeks old -- you are right the 9s is just a little further out, and it
makes considerably more noise because of
it. It is not the worst thing in the world -- much like a slight rub on the FD -- but it would be
nice if it were fixable. I wonder if I should try a different brand/type of chain (currently
Shimano DA9)?

Originally posted by Eric Lambi
> The ring position seems a little farther out than DA 9s, but I think perhaps new rings and older
> chain? perhaps.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

The chain is just a couple weeks old -- you are right the 9s is just a little further out, and it
makes considerably more noise because of
it. It is not the worst thing in the world -- much like a slight rub on the FD -- but it would be
nice if it were fixable. I wonder if I should try a different brand/type of chain (currently
Shimano DA9)?
DA10 Chain CN-7800 has the narrower 10-speed profile achieved by minimizing the contour of the side plates. The super-flush surface of the new plates glides more smoothly across the entire cogset. The rollers are the same as DA9, so I think it will work well on the DA9 cassette. You might want to adjust the stops on your Front Derailer to compensate for the slightly narrower outside dimensions of the chain. If you really want the best front shifts use the FD-7800 with this chain. It will make a small but, I think, noticeable difference.

Originally posted by daveornee
DA10 Chain CN-7800 has the narrower 10-speed profile achieved by minimizing the contour of the side plates. The super-flush surface of the new plates glides more smoothly across the entire cogset. The rollers are the same as DA9, so I think it will work well on the DA9 cassette. You might want to adjust the stops on your Front Derailer to compensate for the slightly narrower outside dimensions of the chain. If you really want the best front shifts use the FD-7800 with this chain. It will make a small but, I think, noticeable difference.

I forgot to mention that the chainring coutours and pick-up pins on the DA10 crankset are the likely cause of the sounds you are hearing.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:10:47 GMT, daveornee
<[email protected]> wrote:

>DA10 Chain CN-7800 has the narrower 10-speed profile achieved by minimizing the contour of the
>side plates.

I thought that the countour or bellies in the sideplates actually helped on front derailleur
upshifts. Am I wrong?