DA 7800 vs Bontrager race x-lite wheels

botfood

Guest
....gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to keep,
and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very good
shape, which would you keep?

The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

botfood wrote:
> ...gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to keep,
> and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very good
> shape, which would you keep?
>
> The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
> little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
> actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
> there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
> about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
> resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
> breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

Keep 'em both unless you need rent money or something. Never hurts to have
an extra set of wheels. (Hell, buy a new frame for the spare set! Then you
need components...and accessories...and outfits...and...)

HTH!

On May 2, 2:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> botfood wrote:
> > ...gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to keep,
> > and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very good
> > shape, which would you keep?

> > The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
> > little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
> > actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
> > there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
> > about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
> > resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
> > breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

> Keep 'em both unless you need rent money or something. Never hurts to have
> an extra set of wheels. (Hell, buy a new frame for the spare set! Then you
> need components...and accessories...and outfits...and...)
>
> HTH!

Good advice. It doesn't take that much abuse to destroy a rim, whether
it be carbon fiber or aluminum. I consider rims expendibles, not
permanent component parts of the bike. One big, unseen pothole is all
it takes. Having a complete backup set of wheels is nice to have when
you hope to ride every day.

Mike Krueger wrote:
> On May 2, 2:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> botfood wrote:
>>> ...gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to
>>> keep, and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very
>>> good shape, which would you keep?

>>> The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
>>> little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
>>> actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
>>> there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
>>> about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
>>> resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
>>> breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

>> Keep 'em both unless you need rent money or something. Never hurts
>> to have an extra set of wheels. (Hell, buy a new frame for the
>> spare set! Then you need components...and accessories...and
>> outfits...and...)
>>
>> HTH!

> Good advice. It doesn't take that much abuse to destroy a rim, whether
> it be carbon fiber or aluminum. I consider rims expendibles, not
> permanent component parts of the bike. One big, unseen pothole is all
> it takes. Having a complete backup set of wheels is nice to have when
> you hope to ride every day.

Not to mention simpler things like getting ready for a ride and discovering
a flat tire. Saves time and trouble to be able to just slap a different
wheel in there and roll out the do'.

Bill "we're not...peasants!" S.