DA freewheel and chain compatibility

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
I...uh..."didn't meet expectations" on a long hill climb I attempted this weekend and decided it's the fault of my 11-23 freewheel and 53/39 chainrings. I plan on ordering a 12-25 or 12-27 freewheel, but since I'm sure I will only need these embarrasing gears for a short while I would prefer to not spend the big bucks on a DA set. The Ultegra seems to be about half the price, but I would like to ensure it will be compatible with my DA chain. Anybody know?

genedoc said:
I...uh..."didn't meet expectations" on a long hill climb I attempted this weekend and decided it's the fault of my 11-23 freewheel and 53/39 chainrings. I plan on ordering a 12-25 or 12-27 freewheel, but since I'm sure I will only need these embarrasing gears for a short while I would prefer to not spend the big bucks on a DA set. The Ultegra seems to be about half the price, but I would like to ensure it will be compatible with my DA chain. Anybody know?

Yup, all 9 and 10 speed shimano clusters are the same spacing. 8-speed DA is an oddball though.

genedoc said:
Assuming you are getting the same type (9 speed or 10 speed) of casette, the Ultegra casette would be compatible with the DA chain with respect to width, but if the chain was cut to the correct length for the 11-23, it might be too short for the 12-27. Get a 105 casette and a new chain and still come out ahead financially.

RickF said:
Assuming you are getting the same type (9 speed or 10 speed) of casette, the Ultegra casette would be compatible with the DA chain with respect to width, but if the chain was cut to the correct length for the 11-23, it might be too short for the 12-27. Get a 105 casette and a new chain and still come out ahead financially.
Thanks. I forget about chain length. I'll get both.

Just get the 12-27 cassette, the chain is OK,

Current capacity:
39t+11t=50t
53t+23t=76t

So 39t+27t=66t is well within the range.

SRAM do a 12-26 9 speed, its cheaper than Shimano. :)

However, if you are going to make a habit of this hill thing, dare I say it, buy an Ultegra Compact Crankset, 50/34. :rolleyes:

genedoc said:
You can cannibalize a 9-speed LX cassette for a 28t cog and restack the cassette for THOSE rides ... you may be able to order a separate cog, but I think your LBS will charge you almost as much as the cost of the LX cassette would be off of eBay.

If you want a 26t cog, I think you have to go to an 8-speed cassette (the cogs are slightly thicker, but if you are only stacking ONE, then it will probably be okay -- theoretically the 9-speed cog is 1.78mm thick and the 8-speed cog is 1.80mm thick.

MAYBE a friend -- or, you! -- has a suitable cassette that you can cannibalize in his/her toolbox!

alfeng said:
You can cannibalize a 9-speed LX cassette for a 28t cog and restack the cassette for THOSE rides ... you may be able to order a separate cog, but I think your LBS will charge you almost as much as the cost of the LX cassette would be off of eBay.

If you want a 26t cog, I think you have to go to an 8-speed cassette (the cogs are slightly thicker, but if you are only stacking ONE, then it will probably be okay -- theoretically the 9-speed cog is 1.78mm thick and the 8-speed cog is 1.80mm thick.

MAYBE a friend -- or, you! -- has a suitable cassette that you can cannibalize in his/her toolbox!
Thanks. the plan is to have two freewheels - as a cheaper alternative to two complete rear wheels - and use the 12-26/27 for mountain rides and the 11-23 for the flats and low hills. I have the tools so I don't mind swapping them out frequently, but I don't want to have to re-stack the freewheel all the time.

George, thanks for the tips. I'll look into the SRAM. I have a 10 spd now so I'm leaning to using the same/similar stack/brand second freewheel so there will be no real transmission adjustments at each swap.

gclark8 said:
Just get the 12-27 cassette, the chain is OK,

Current capacity:
39t+11t=50t
53t+23t=76t

So 39t+27t=66t is well within the range.

SRAM do a 12-26 9 speed, its cheaper than Shimano. :)

However, if you are going to make a habit of this hill thing, dare I say it, buy an Ultegra Compact Crankset, 50/34. :rolleyes:
As long as you never cross shift, the current chain is fine. 53t+27t=80t. That is not a combination that should ever be used, but if you accidently shift into that combination, it could damage the rear derailleur or hanger.

RickF said:
As long as you never cross shift, the current chain is fine. 53t+27t=80t. That is not a combination that should ever be used, but if you accidently shift into that combination, it could damage the rear derailleur or hanger.
Does everyone always remember to shift to the small chainring when stopping at the lights? I must say that I forget this accidentally once every few weeks and find myself completely cross-chained. For this reason, I would never use a chain length that would cause damage on the two largest cogs. Chains are cheap, run a separate chain for each cluster, each with its own connector.