DA max cog

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Flom, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    What is the maximum number of toothed cog a 2002 Dura Ace rear der can handle? Thnaks.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Jim Flom) wrote:

    >What is the maximum number of toothed cog a 2002 Dura Ace rear der can handle?

    27 (though you can probably get away with a couple more than that).

  3. Jim Flom wrote:

    > What is the maximum number of toothed cog a 2002 Dura Ace rear der can handle? Thnaks.

    Partly depends on how big a jump you've got in front. With typical doubles, 30 works fine, but I'd
    consider that probably about the max.

    Before I converted my Hetchins to Campagnolo, I was running one of those with a 12-28, but with a 22
    tooth jump in front (50-28) and that seemed to be maxed out.

    I didn't switch because of any shifting deficiency, but because I prefer the ergonomics of Ergos.

    Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a |
    | thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that |
    | cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be |
    | impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, RIP - HHGTTG |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  4. "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is the maximum number of toothed cog a 2002 Dura Ace rear der can
    handle?
    > Thnaks.

    With the proper adjustments on B-tension and chain length a 32 will work. I think the pro's use
    32 for the 20+ % grades af e.g. the Vuelta Every summer I ride in the French Alps with a 53/38 &
    11/32 Dura Ace combo - no problems except for the chain will be way too short for 53/32 (and
    53/28 as well).

    Wbr, Anders