DA Rear Derailleurs

Eric Lambi

Guest
I am going to get a new DA rear derailleur. It seems that the DA9 and DA10 derailleurs are
interchangeable. So my question is, if I am running DA9 STI, chain, etc., then how much will the
DA10 derailleur improve shifting in both the near and long term compared to the DA9 derailleur?

I suspect it wil not help much, but wanted to check with some experts first.

Thanks!

Eric Lambi [email protected]

> I suspect it wil not help much, but wanted to check with some experts first.

Looks mean everything. The 10s is prettier, so you MUST buy it!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

>I am going to get a new DA rear derailleur. It seems that the DA9 and DA10 derailleurs are
>interchangeable. So my question is, if I am running DA9 STI, chain, etc., then how much will the
>DA10 derailleur improve shifting in both the near and long term compared to the DA9 derailleur?
>
>I suspect it wil not help much, but wanted to check with some experts first.

unless your 9spd is worn, then you will probably get no improvement.
-------------
Alex

I currently have a 2 (going on 3) seasons old ultegra derailleur that has been crashed at least 5 times (and looks like it). I think I can get some improvement with a new DA derailleur.

My question was whether getting the DA10 will somehow warrant the extra $60 over the cost of the DA9.

The best thing about the DA9 is the ball brg. pulleys. I can't imagine the 10 could be $60
better. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
elambi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I currently have a 2 (going on 3) seasons old ultegra derailleur that
> has been crashed at least 5 times (and looks like it). I think I can get
> some improvement with a new DA derailleur.
>
> My question was whether getting the DA10 will somehow warrant the extra
> $60 over the cost of the DA9.
>

> --

"Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The best thing about the DA9 is the ball brg. pulleys. I can't imagine the 10 could be $60 better.

In general agreement about value but I think ball-bearing pulleys are a waste of money. They don't
improve performance and, in fact, can be a headache (ever try to service one?). Water intrusion is a
real life hassle with bearings. Since they increase cost with no added benefit, I don't like them.

Robin Hubert

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:19:47 -0500, "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The best thing about the DA9 is the ball brg. pulleys. I can't imagine the 10 could be $60 better.

plus I got a DA 9 for 60.00 shipped new off of ebay. maybe cheaper now.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

eric-<< It seems that the DA9 and DA10 derailleurs are interchangeable. So my question is, if I am
running DA9 STI, chain, etc., then how much will the DA10 derailleur improve shifting in both the
near and long term compared to the DA9 derailleur? >><BR><BR>

No improved shifting or longevity. They are nearly identical except the DA-10s is a bunch more
expensive. If ya can get a DA-9, I'd get it.

Hi, Everyone is missing one MAJOR change on the new 7800 (10 speed) RD. The knuckles on the plates
are now outside of the derailleur. This makes the link wider and thus stiffer. It doesn't have
nearly as much play in it as the old one. It shifts well.Additionally, the new RD has 11 tooth
pulley wheels. This increases longevity by a huge amount because the plates of the chain now run on
every tooth rather than every other tooth on the 7700 and earler models. If you're looking for that
small edge then buy it.

m11.aol.com...

> Hi, Everyone is missing one MAJOR change on the new 7800 (10 speed) RD. The knuckles on the plates
> are now outside of the derailleur. This makes the link wider and thus stiffer. It doesn't have
> nearly as much play in it as the old one. It shifts well.Additionally, the new RD has 11 tooth
> pulley wheels. This increases longevity by a huge amount because the plates of
the
> chain now run on every tooth rather than every other tooth on the 7700 and earler models. If
> you're looking for that small edge then buy it.

Who missed it?

While the change you mention is real, it sounds to me like you're regurgitating Shimano marketing
speak. I bet you measured these qualities so you could quantify them for us. It must take a lot of
work to wear out two derailers in identical conditions so as to see which is more durable.

Robin Hubert

[email protected] wrote:

>Additionally, the new RD has 11 tooth pulley wheels. This increases longevity by a huge amount
I am still using an 8S derailleur with original pulley wheels that have over
100.000 km's on them. So the new 10S pulley wheels must be able to do
101.000 instead of 100.000. WOW!

What must I spend all the money on that I'll save when I upgrade?

Greets, Derk

[email protected] wrote:

> <snip> Additionally, the new RD has 11 tooth pulley wheels. This increases longevity by a huge
> amount because the plates of the chain now run on every tooth rather than every other tooth on the
> 7700 and earler models. If you're looking for that small edge then buy it.

Shimano has been using 11-tooth jockeys for a while; they're not new to the 7800 series.

Before Shimano, going to 11 was pioneered by Nigel Tufnel.<g>

Dave Lehnen

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2h_Wb.39464$QJ3.31276@fed1read04>...
> Hi, Everyone is missing one MAJOR change on the new 7800 (10 speed) RD. The knuckles on the plates
> are now outside of the derailleur. This makes the link wider and thus stiffer. It doesn't have
> nearly as much play in it as the old one. It shifts well.Additionally, the new RD has 11 tooth
> pulley wheels. This increases longevity by a huge amount because the plates of the chain now run
> on every tooth rather than every other tooth on the 7700 and earler models. If you're looking for
> that small edge then buy it.

I am sorry but even though I am a fan of Shimano equipment, DA9 rear is more than stiff and smooth
enough. For the untrained eyes, you can't really tell them apart. The high price is really
unjustified. The DA9, when on sale, can be had for ~$50. DIRT cheap for this world class deraileur.
The secret biggest bang is the long cage DA9 (and the sealed triple BB)!!!