DA seatpost modification - or trash it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, May 25, 2003.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
    slightly loose, resulting in a loud
    click/squeak at certain times.

    Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a little hole or two and pop a
    rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost. However, maybe there is a
    tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?

    thanks,

    anthony

    Tags:

  2. Tim McTeague

    Tim McTeague Guest

    My , now 4 year old, DA post made those loud "clicks" every so often and just last week I noticed my
    saddle was pointing a bit to the right. I figured the post slipped in the frame only to discover the
    press in clamp was now slightly loose. Take a look at the posts on roadbikereview
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/Seatposts/Shimano,Dura-Ace,SP-7410/PRD_28058_2510crx.aspx and you will
    see this is an all too common problem with this seatpost.

    Tim

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
    > slightly loose, resulting in a loud
    > click/squeak at certain times.
    >
    > Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a little hole or two and pop a
    > rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost. However, maybe there is a
    > tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > anthony

    >A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
    >slightly loose, resulting in a loud
    >click/squeak at certain times. Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a
    > little hole or two and pop a rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost.
    > However, maybe there is a tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?

    I would try to retun it and get a refund. If that didn't work, I would pull the head out and then
    epoxy and press it back into place. Having a seatpost fail could be pretty ugly. I hope Shimano
    fixes this problem.
    ----------------
    Alex

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
    > slightly loose, resulting in a loud
    > click/squeak at certain times.
    >
    > Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a little hole or two and pop a
    > rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost. However, maybe there is a
    > tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > anthony

    Shimano has a longer warranty on the D/A stuff. I sent a D/A seatpost with the same problem back to
    Shimano and they sent me a new one.

    Check with your LBS. It took a while to get it back, so you may want to put a temporary post in the
    bike first.

    Mike